The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Garuda

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by Garuda » Mon May 09, 2016 3:18 pm

I mean LU is a weird product. It's got a specific, loud style so it's definitely a love-it-or-leave it kind of thing. I thought I was going to leave it early this season, but I feel like they've stabilized admirably.

Robes is right that they present everything like a huge big bloody deal, and it clashes bad when it isn't. A more subdued angle here or there might add some nice texture. But I think that frenzied energy is core to their appeal, so I think it's fair for them to take that creative approach and just try to have the fewest flopped angles possible.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Fenix vs. Jack Evans (Online Exclusive)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2rv7ybbAcQ

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon May 09, 2016 11:43 pm

Accidentally stumbled upon a spoiler for the next Aztec Warfare :( (I hate Cagematch.net for listing the results for matches that haven't even taken place yet...) Either way... I think it'll be cool! Now when does it air? :lol:

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:08 am

Unless they change things up, I imagine the next Aztec Warfare will be during season 3 which won't a it until 2017. That could be wrong, but I was under the impression they've been filming season 3 already. I just don't know if that's airing later in 2016 or in 2017. I think the filming for season 2 was already finished last year or early 2016.

I pretty much only visit a couple websites now because I saw some LU season 2 spoilers a month or two ago. I said no more looking after that! Haha

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Tue May 10, 2016 2:00 am

It's not airing until some time in 2017.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue May 10, 2016 3:18 am

Chismo wrote:That is literally the pettiest thing I've ever seen someone complaining about in my 20 years of markdom, and I've seen them all, and I've been apart of many myself. You live and learn.
LU is capable of damn near perfection. S1 is some special wrestling television that is likely the best stretch of wrestling TV of all-time.

When its not...its a talking point and its not "petty".

Season 2 is suffering through some very specific things that many Season 2s of real television dramas suffer from that make it not quite as good as the previous season. It happens...it doesn't make it petty though.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue May 10, 2016 3:22 am

John The Drummer wrote:Accidentally stumbled upon a spoiler for the next Aztec Warfare :( (I hate Cagematch.net for listing the results for matches that haven't even taken place yet...) Either way... I think it'll be cool! Now when does it air? :lol:
God bless the souls that have avoided that spoiler.

Can't wait to see the reaction from those summer children.

I gave up avoiding these spoilers. My only hope is that I forget'em.

TKD

Post by TKD » Tue May 10, 2016 4:09 am

BoxingRobes wrote:In 2016, none. Don't miss the forest for the trees.
Oh, OK; I was genuinely curious if you were referring to a different channel or something.

But to the main point: Lucha Underground has only one hour of TV per week. That's not really a lot of time to fill up with concentrated/heated stuff, especially when, unlike just about everyone else, they're producing the wrestling without much consideration as to whether it makes sense as a coherent card for the live audience.
CThrash13 wrote:I think the filming for season 2 was already finished last year or early 2016.
Season 2 tapings finished at the end of this past January. The funny thing is, I was at Última Lucha 2, and it was probably the most amazing experience I've had as a wrestling fan; yet, I've forgotten so many particulars about it already, and It doesn't air until sometime in July! The lead time for S3 will probably be even longer.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue May 10, 2016 4:39 am

TKD wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:In 2016, none. Don't miss the forest for the trees.
Oh, OK; I was genuinely curious if you were referring to a different channel or something.

But to the main point: Lucha Underground has only one hour of TV per week. That's not really a lot of time to fill up with concentrated/heated stuff, especially when, unlike just about everyone else, they're producing the wrestling without much consideration as to whether it makes sense as a coherent card for the live audience.
This past week...sandwiched between a pseudo blood feud and Mack/Moth and the terrible Sinestro-Cuerno trashmatch was a delightful little change of pace with that Sagrada-Cage match. It was light...seemingly impromptu...and broke up the monotony that the themes of LU often display. LU can be so grindhouse and goes on for long stretches of brooding, it forgets to be fun at times.

LU is at its best when it breaks up the brooding with some light-hearted fare or "competition" based programs. Most of the best episodes had the mix.

jeremysexton

Post by jeremysexton » Tue May 10, 2016 10:58 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:LU is at its best when it breaks up the brooding with some light-hearted fare or "competition" based programs. Most of the best episodes had the mix.
Totally agree.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Thu May 12, 2016 4:38 am

From Today's Observor : "They are taping through June, and the idea is to finish 100 episodes, which is a number that foreign distributors like to sell. One of the reasons there is a hold up on house shows is the feeling from the people running the company that Lucha Underground has to run in a venue that looks like the Temple, which rules out major arenas, or at least have a traveling that would look similar. At least that was the idea a few months ago. Right now there are no plans for live shows. It’s not a lock they would be a success, as NXT is hot by today’s standards and hot means doing 1,000 to 2,000 people at big shows and 150 to 450 at small shows."
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu May 12, 2016 6:44 am

So tonight's episode really wasn't that great to me :(

The 3 way match was fun, then it ended waaaay too fast. Trios match was cool, but felt REALLY sloppy :(. Main event started strong, but then halfway through just felt like it hit a speed bump. That was rad when Mil smashed his fist through the casket. Would like to know if they're going to continue this rivalry though, would love to see it go farther. That first match they had was great.

Highlight were the segments. Was that Big Ryck in the end!?!?!

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Yeah, this latest episode didn't move the needle for me. The Trios match could've been really good if given more time, but it just didn't seem to flow that well. You could tell they had to do a lot in less time than usual. The main event was probably one the most disappointing LU Title match so far. It was in complete slo mo, and other than a few big spots, it was rather dull. Contrary to your thoughts, I'd rather both men move on to new challengers.

Did I hear it right the Gift of Gods Ladder Match is next week? If so, that should be pretty exciting. Also, I'm interested to see what King Cuerno has up his sleeve. I've missed seeing him on a more consistent basis as he's one of the best workers in LU.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Sat May 14, 2016 1:40 am

It's is a Gift of the Gods match. The idea is as supposed to be they do the match as soon as all seven medallions are handed out, and this week was the seventh. But it is only a first pinfall wins seven way, not a ladder match.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat May 14, 2016 2:15 am

It sounds like I enjoyed the Graver Consequences match a lot more than most people did. I can't say that it was anything close to being MOTY or even MOTM level, but I thought that it was very good for what it was - which was basically the wrestling match equivalent of something like King Kong vs. Godzilla. The spot where Mil Muertes avoided losing by punching his hand through the casket was awesome. In my opinion Mil has been the MVP of season two so far.

I do think that Lucha Underground has been kind of overdoing the crazy gimmick matches this year though. It seems like every week there is at least one bloody, mask-ripping, no holds barred match whereas last season they did a better job of spacing those out so that they had a bigger impact when they did occur. I have clear memories of my favorite matches from season one - Aztec Warfare, the original Grave Consequences, the two-match segment where Son of Havoc/Ivelisse/Angelico became the original Trios Champions, Prince Puma/Johnny Mundo Ironman, Pentagon/Vampiro - whereas this season I feel that everything is kind of blurring together even though the quality of the individual matches is probably just as strong.