The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
GuestTimekeeper

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:27 am

I thought this second episode was a rare booking screw up for LU. Your two main faces being put against the heel trios (tag team) champions, and winning relatively easy, is something I'm used to seeing from WWE. It's not too bad, since Puma and Pentagon are two of the baddest dudes there, and the DoD are little more then, well, zombies?

Anyways, this was more of a set up episode with the debut of Darewolf, and I'm sure a Cage/Mundo feud which should be solid. And hot damn, I hope Pentagon and Puma are given an episode to have an awesome match.

elhijodelRad

Post by elhijodelRad » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 am

Hey guys, did any of you understand what did Striker exactly say after Darewolf's uppercut? Something like WF korakuen PW or something? English is not my native language, so I didn't catch it right

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:23 am

The problem with DoD is that even more than the Crew, they are henchmen to the bone, even if they now got a color scheme to differentiate them. They are only really dominant because Catrina holds up a mysterious dark rock. A badass tweener and everybody's favorite (not because he is, but because he's booked that way) home turf babyface should probably beat up some zombies. It's not a good look for DoD I agree but then, I think they're a very weak link in the otherwise interesting Catrina/Mil Muertes angle.

I'd google who the new woman wrestler is that debuts next week but I don't want to accidentally get spoiled. I assume Taya will debut eventually, but the hair color doesn't match, so I don't think that's her.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 am

Vampiro: "Nice South Africa version of the uppercut there"
Striker: "F. W. de Klerk and PW Botha beside"

Striker namedropped the two presidents of South African presidents prior to Mandela. They just must've been the first two South Africans who came to mind.

re: Ru's column - I've been generally surprised that Lucha Underground has gotten pushed as a pro-women's show. It's not come across that way for me, and it's felt more like people projecting things things onto Sexy Star which haven't actually been earned by the show. You bring up the points about her, and she's not an outlier

- Black Lotus, who seemed to start off as a face, has spent most of season 1 being imprisoned by one part or other, and is easily manipulated and fooled maybe three times (Dragon Azteca, Chavo and Dario.) There have been fun moments involving her, but she's genuinely a terrible character who only seems to exist at this point for Dario (or others) to have a conversation.

- Ivelisse started out as a heel, is a face in this situation, is definitely admirable for her toughness and persistence, but is also more prickly than a cactus to the point her own partners can barely stand her. She's only likable for being so over the top dislikable. Ivelisse did show the ability to win on her own last time, but she also needed rescuing the last time we saw her.

- Melissa Santos was also literally a damsel in distress the only time she was involved in anything - which would probably be fine if she was the only one.

Catrina's the exception. The announcers never seem to catch on, but she's manipulated Mil and Fenix in season 1, and all the "Mil says" lines are her own directives. But Catrina is also completely mysterious by design, with the writers consciously choosing to skip over who/what she is when they were doing the other origin stories, and it makes it tough to invest enough in her to root for her as a character. She's fascinating, she present challenging cosplay opportunities, but she's an incomplete character right now.

The LU women have better defined characters and personality than WWE women of times past, so maybe the bar is just that low. They're going to be dropping in new more female characters in the next few weeks, maybe they'll do better by those.

(the FWIW counterpoint: it's possible the Sexy Star kidnapping is getting dragged out a bit as a consequence of circumstance rather than plan - she suffered a significant collarbone injury over the summer and the recovery time ran right up to the start of the tapings. She might have just not been ready to go and they had to come up with something to stall.)

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:07 pm

Dave can run his podcast exactly the way he wants to. It's his podcast after all. But i'm not subscribing anymore, since i'm not gonna run the risk of getting spoiled. That's my choice, as i have chosen that staying unspoiled is worth more than the audio he produces. So it looks like i'm not in the target audience that Dave seeks, so it's all good.

All i'm saying is, that he'd be $10 richer each month, if he chose to take 10 seconds to give a spoiler warning. But then again, it's not my podcast, so what do i know. I just think $10 for 10 seconds of extra work is a pretty good value, even if i was the only person on earth who wanted a spoiler warning.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:21 pm

.....him or Bryan have given spoiler warnings the last 3 shows or so

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:27 pm

Well i wouldn't know. I stopped listening a year ago when season 1 spoilers got thrown everywhere all the time. 3 shows out of a ton of shows isn't many. I'll be back once i haven't read anything about unwarned LU spoilers for at least a month.

elhijodelRad

Post by elhijodelRad » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:16 am

thecubsfan wrote:Vampiro: "Nice South Africa version of the uppercut there"
Striker: "F. W. de Klerk and PW Botha beside"

Striker namedropped the two presidents of South African presidents prior to Mandela. They just must've been the first two South Africans who came to mind.
Wow, my ears suck!! "Klerk and"= "Korakuen"....Anyway, thanks for the detail and the explanation!

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:09 am

Morten VH wrote:Well i wouldn't know. I stopped listening a year ago when season 1 spoilers got thrown everywhere all the time. 3 shows out of a ton of shows isn't many. I'll be back once i haven't read anything about unwarned LU spoilers for at least a month.
IMO you come across as very passive aggressive to Dave's show

If you HAD to choose which message would you deliver?

A) Dave can do with his podcast what he will
OR
B) If he were smart he'd give spoiler warnings, for $10 for 10 seconds?

Simply reading your "claim" to come back after x amount of time of no spoilers I don't buy. There was absolutely no chance at any spoilers whatsoever while Lucha Underground was not taping you could have come back to, if you have been gone a year. I think there was a good 3-6 month span. Not sure. So....presuming Dave is suffering for your $10 after complying to your terms your dictating while he can or can not do with his podcast what he will....why should he buy into you buying back in, when you didn't when you had the absolute chance to do so?

Fully Admitting Passive Agrrsiveness here. "Of course it is your $10. You may spend it as you will. "

_____

Onto Luchaness. One of the podcasts on this site mentioned a place to watch the most recent episodes. My cable package droppd El Rey so being able to see a few of the better matches would be great. I liked the product so much I watched it in Spanish last year, and it sounds like they are laying the groundwork for a great season here.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:18 am

cherrylimeaid wrote:
Morten VH wrote:Well i wouldn't know. I stopped listening a year ago when season 1 spoilers got thrown everywhere all the time. 3 shows out of a ton of shows isn't many. I'll be back once i haven't read anything about unwarned LU spoilers for at least a month.
B) If he were smart he'd give spoiler warnings, for $10 for 10 second
This is what i want Dave to realize. And yes i was passive aggresive because theres no logical reason not to. But it's still not my pod, and as people will say, you can just choose nog to listen if you don't like it.

I did subscribe for two months during the G1 to listen to the reactions to that. But i've found better overall alternatives now, that i wouldn't have found if not for the spoilers.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Fenix/Cuerno this week was pretty darn good, and next week is Puma/Pentagon Jr.!

Lucha Underground are also 3 for 3 when it comes to big reveals at the end of each episode.

Ryan Clingman

Post by Ryan Clingman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:42 am

I can't really work out where this is from, some say that it was from a recent LU taping. Has anyone heard otherwise?

"Real pro-wrestlers don't go on @TMZ when they get a boo-boo. @DivaDirt "

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:19 am

The picture on the right is the aftermath of a Lucha Underground episode that'll air in May. I don't know where the one on the left is from, but it's not Lucha Underground

Blueisthecolour

Post by Blueisthecolour » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:38 am

Dario Cueto in this weeks episode of It's always sunny in Philadelphia!

themib

Post by themib » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:31 pm

The first Melissa picture is from SHIMMER Volume 60, where she bled hardway against LuFisto. It ended her run of having a match on every single SHIMMER volume, as she had to miss Volume 61 to get treatment, though she did come back to do a run-in on that show anyway.