CHIKARA thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Mike

Re: CHIKARA thread

Post by Mike » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:46 am

Temple of Doom is up with the Mask vs. Mask match for VOD purchase. I'm hoping it'll be on Chikaratopia by Christmas or the new year.

http://chikarapro.com/events/season-16/ ... emple-doom

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:34 pm

Finally watched Gulak/Quack. I love Quack and I enjoy Gulak a good deal but it didn't hook me on any sort of emotional level. I'd give it ****1/4 because the work was very good and the atmosphere was great and I can see where it would hook people. Also, I can't imagine wrestling with that referee yelling me every three seconds. "YOU WANNA GIVE IT UP MIKE?" It's a hammerlock, dude.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:46 pm

RyanGenerico

Post by RyanGenerico » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 am

Finally caught the Cibernetico Torneo last night. For as long of a match as it was, I thought it was done pretty well. It's going to be a tough season coming up without Kimber Lee, Drew Gulak, Heidi Lovelace, or Amasis (assuming he pursues a more diverse travel schedule as DeSeasn Pratt). I could see the fall out of Nazmaldun being a major focus, and having Ophidian, Dasher, and UMB be top babyfaces against Hallowicked, Touchdown, and Icarus. Hopefully Fire Ant gets to play a bigger role as well. Quack is quite the intelligent man, so I've got faith this season won't go to the dogs.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:39 am

What a weird day. Today's NPWD was full of moments that didn't exactly match to the way Season 16 ended, including some significant plot advances (being vague if that matters to some of you). Ultimately, the show was referred to as being in the start of Season 18, as a bunch of matches were secretly taped at the Factory sometime last year, and a mini season will be released shortly, with three cards already out on the streaming service.

It's different, but they got me watching these shows, so well done there.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:51 am

Doing a whole season - or a Secret War, since that's very obviously the comic book inspiration - as a network exclusive is a totally interesting content play. The thing that's seem to move WWE Network is exclusive important wrestling content (PPVs mostly), and that's exactly what a full season is on there. It also serves some nice logistical purposes - there's a big turnover there, there's a lot of new characters who could use extra screen time to get over, and a lot of those are inexperienced people who could use that ring time to get better.

The flipside is CHIKARA shows seem like they need fans to work, to react to their stranger characters, to pick up on the storyline that's been two years building but got paid off. Something much more grounded might work in an empty gym environment, but CHIKARA in a void seems like it'd be weird. Maybe they figured out some way. The other more specific is there are obviously some developments - like the ones alluded to above - that would've been a big deal had they happened occurred on a normal show in front of an audience and are instead going to be revealed first by implication on current shows and sometime later actually occur on taped shows. It's a good selling point for the streaming service to make it clear things happen that actually matter on those shows, but would've it driven more interest (and more revenue) if they just happened in front of the people? It's the tradeoff in creating digital content.

If CHIKARA's going to be weird, I'd want them to go all the way with weird. This is going all the way, and the worst case is they filmed a lot of cheap wrestling shows as the venue they own. Running King of Trios outside the US seems a much more high risk/maybe not high payoff proposition - that's a show that's risen and fallen based on the value of the guest stars, and there's either a higher cost or lower accessibility to them if many of them are an ocean away.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:42 am

Yep, King of Trios will be in England this year - September 1st-3rd in Birmingham. Interested to see how many crazy teams they bring in now they're doing it abroad.

Padje

Post by Padje » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Wasn't a great turnout at the Birmingham Chikara show last spring, so this announcement is really a surprise. The crowd was made up entirely of the meet and greet type fans, some of which booed a small child for receiving a free tshirt from the announcer. The Birmingham location is probably down to another partnership with Fight Club Pro. British Strong Style are an obvious dominant team, but who can say they'll even be allowed to compete come september?

TCMitchell
VOW Staff Member

Post by TCMitchell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Has anyone watched the secret/lost season 17, yet?

Is it any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 pm

TCMitchell wrote:Has anyone watched the secret/lost season 17, yet?

Is it any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've enjoyed the two shows I've seen thus far. Hallowicked vs. Touchdown and Heidi vs. Dasher were pretty good. Students learning their way will always be what they are. The preproduced backstage segments with dramatic music are pretty bad. I get a kick out of the squash matches being treated exactly as 90s WWF shows ("Star is in action" during the match announcements, announce the jobber during the star's entrance, ect). The shows are shorter at about 70-90 minutes. Some of the crowds being mostly kids also gives it a different feel than most wrestling shows these days. I never got into comics where this has been done, but the idea of being given fresh, unspoiled wrestling shows, but with knowledge on how the season ends is very interesting. And I have to assume all nine shows will be released prior to the next full live event (although they're having one of those live hour of powers on Sunday.)

Seeing them fresh and unspoiled is huge because the 30 day wait time for new shows to stream has been a bummer. Obviously it's to protect DVD/MP4 sales, but with so many of the Wrestle Factory shows now going straight to the service, you'd hope that they're very close to making the switch to having everything appear within a week.

JamieOD

Post by JamieOD » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 am

I think this is the building the KOT shows will take place in.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:15 pm

I like it. I love these old theaters. Should provide a great atmosphere.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Help me out here.

Aniversario: Never Compromise. Evil Titor Conglomerate (I think that was it) shuts down Chikara. The promotion shutters for a year, running shows under the "Wrestling is..." brand. Fast forward to NPWD, I think it was, and Archie comes in with the Delorean and Jimmy Jacobs shows up in the mask etc. Chikara is reborn.

Was there ever any explanation for Titor and Wink shutting down?
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 pm

The initial shutdown in story was about fans/wrestlers getting too close to the truth of Titor, and when it hit a certain point, Wink shut it down. A lot of wrestlers were fired, including Quack himself after getting an envelope from someone at their last WM weekend show (interesting timing to bring that all up), to keep things underwraps.

I've forgotten many of the details, but I know I've seen write-ups covering all of the details, so I'm sure those are out there.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Big news if I end up being right, but I'm pretty sure Kenny Omega will be in the Rey de Voladores tournament at the King of Trios next week in Wolverhampton.