CHIKARA thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Mike

CHIKARA thread

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:54 pm

I was a huge fan for years, but like it seems most, really fell out of flavor after the shut down angle. They have had a few good matches so far this year and I'm a huge fan of the a La carte method with their matches. But Trios this year looks just so much better already than last year.

King of Trios is now at 10 teams, today announcing the Gentleman's Club of Drew Gulak, Chuck Taylor, and the Swamp Monster. Not sure what this will mean now for Gulak and WWE and Chucky T's "retirement".

Bullet Club: AJ Styles/Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson
Team AAA: Drago/Fenix/AeroStar
Team Fight Club: PRO MK McKinnan/Trent Seven/Tyler Bate
Team ATTACK! Mark Andrews/Pete Dunne/Morgan Webster
Blue World Order: Da Blue Guy/Big Stevie Cool/Hollywood Nova
The Devastation Corporation: Blaster McMassive/Max Smashmaster/Flex Rumblecrunch
Dasher's Dugout: Dasher Hatfield/Icarus/Mr. Touchdown
The Snake Pit: Ophidian/Eddie Kingston/Shynron
United Nations: Juan Francisco de Coronado/Mr. Azerbaijan/Proletariat Boar of Moldova
The Gentleman's Club: Chuck Taylor/Drew Gulak/Swamp Monster
Bruderschaft des Kreuzes: Jakob Hammermeier/Soldier Ant/Nøkken
Battle Hive: Amasis/Fire Ant/Worker Ant
Nightmare Warriors: Hallowicked/Frightmare/Silver Ant
Arcane Horde: Obariyon/Kodama/Oleg the Usurper
Crown & Court: Princess Kimberlee/Ice Cream Jr./El Hijo del Ice Cream
Battleborn: Kevin Condron/Lucas Calhoun/Missle Assault Man

Juan Francisco de Coronado/Mr. Azerbaijan/Proletariat Boar of Moldova vs. Mark Andrews/Pete Dunne/Morgan Webster
Jakob Hammermeier/Soldier Ant/Nøkken vs. MK McKinnan/Trent Seven/Tyler Bate
----
Princess Kimberlee/Ice Cream Jr./El Hijo del Ice Cream vs. Obariyon/Kodama/Oleg the Usurper
Blaster McMassive/Max Smashmaster/Flex Rumblecrunch vs. Da Blue Guy/Big Stevie Cool/Hollywood Nova

Dasher Hatfield/Icarus/Mr. Touchdown vs. Kevin Condron/Lucas Calhoun/Missle Assault Man
AJ Styles/Matt Jackson/Nick Jackson vs. Amasis/Fire Ant/Worker Ant
----
Drago/Fenix/AeroStar vs. Chuck Taylor/Drew Gulak/Swamp Monster
Hallowicked/Frightmare/Silver Ant vs. Ophidian/Eddie Kingston/Shynron
Last edited by Mike on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: CHIKARA thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:16 am

This field laps the field from last year, and I'm sure there are still a few more cool teams up Quack's sleeve.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:41 am

I must say the AJ/Bucks team is my favorite trios team right now. They're great in the ring with each other.

There's a good 12 man or so i'm familiar with here. But i'm not too familiar with CHIKARA in general. I'll probably buy this if the feedback is good.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:37 am

I started watching Chikara in 2010/11 and they instantly became one of my favorite acts in all of pro-scraps for their amazing stories, whackiness and some excellent under-the-radar workers, but then they went on a hiatus and that was it for me.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:50 pm

I believe the current storyline is a big 10 team tournament taking place throughout the season. Looks like each team will get a trio, so that leaves one other outsider trio at the end. Hoping it is good.

This lineup feels more like a classic trios tournament than last year, which is good. I never got into the habit of watching every show, but I attended most shows over the past 5 or so years. Most of the shows, especially the big shows like Trios and the Troc shows, were great. Things after the hiatus, though, haven't been the same. Trios last year was very lackluster. Hoping this is a shot in the arm.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Tonight at 7PM ET, they're starting their Journey Into CHIKARA Wednesday night show. http://chikarapro.com/journey-into-chikara

There's two COTI teams to be announced plus one mystery team still for KOT. One of the teams is announced tonight.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 pm

All of the COTI teams have been announced for Trios leaving one team left, which hopefully will be a good name team of outsiders.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Hopefully better than last year's big announcement of LAX.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:18 pm

Unfortunately, the final team for this year's King of Trios is not a team of outsiders. Rounding out the field is Battleborn, which consists of Kevin Condron, Lucas Calhoun (the former Vulgar), & Missile Assault Ant (who, since his unmasking a few weeks ago, is now going as "Missile Assault Man", according to CHIKARA's Facebook Page).

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:54 pm

That's too bad because I was hoping for at least a team that can lose and break off into the RdV, which I would assume will be on nights two and three.

I don't have anything against Condron, who seems to be doing this real outspoken persona (could be him, could be gimmick) where he's really attacking Quackenbush, but they may go to the finals for all I can guess as the potential for this team. Even Condron going to his AMA on reddit and asking Quack about a few topics he tried to shut down quick. Just seems like they'd be a team that you can see cheating to the finals and then losing to the eventual winner.

I will say this though, there's no surefire winner. All the COTI teams, with the exception of last years winners in the DevCorp, I don't see a stand out to say they're any better. This is the Bucks fourth King of Trios tournament, so I can see them finally getting the big win along with AJ to add to their long list of accomplishments. But as outsiders, that's not something this promotion usually does.

This weekend is at the very least intriguing, and that's something you really could not say about a Chikara show in ages.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Like last year, they're announcing RdV names ahead of time that are obviously independent of the Trios tournament. I missed the Journey show, but apparently Matt Cross and Mascara Purpura are the first two names. I just see it as creative cost cutting. Instead of having a loaded tournament with everyone booked all three nights, and losers spread out to other matches, keep the tournament slightly more local, and book some bigger names for just one or two nights. It can still be good, but it really makes you appreciate what they did from 2012 and back.

I see Bullet Club out on night two, so they can have a special match with AJ, while the Bucks go in the tag gauntlet. Last year's gauntlet was a huge failure, so they better have some outside talent, if not surprises.

Wind-Up Soup

Post by Wind-Up Soup » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:11 pm

So far they've announced for the first round:

-The United Nations vs. Team ATTACK!
-Crown & Court vs. The Arcane Horde
-The Devastation Corporation vs. The BWO
-The BDK vs. Team Fight Club Pro

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Lots of good possible matches for the other four. I hope we get Bullet Club vs. AAA more than anything else.

Any combo of Snake Pit/Battle Hive/Nightmare Warriors I'll take too.

Wind-Up Soup

Post by Wind-Up Soup » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm expecting:

-Dasher's Dugout vs. The Bullet Club
-Battle Hive vs. Team AAA
-The Nightmare Warriors vs. Battleborn
-The Gentleman's Club vs. The Snake Pit

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:32 pm

So here's the full lineup for King of Trios 2015. The way I have the matches listed is how The Bracket breaks down, based on this video from CHIKARA:

- United Nations vs. Team ATTACK!
- B.D.K vs. Fight Club: Pro

- Crown & Court vs. Arcane Horde
- Devastation Corporation vs. b.W.o.

- Battleborn vs. Dasher's Dugout
- Battle Hive vs. The Bullet Club

- The Gentlemen's Club vs. Team AAA
- Nightmare Warriors vs. Snake Pit

Some pretty intriguing matches. The way the brackets break down are also interesting. I think Styles & The Young Bucks are definitely making it to at least the semi-finals. I doubt they lose their first match, and part of me feels like Kevin Condron's group has a chance to win against Dasher's Dugout, though doing Battleborn vs. Styles & The Young Bucks feels very underwhelming. Honestly, The Bullet Club are my picks to win, just because I can't see them losing to anyone.