Has Brock Lesnar really been worth it to the WWE?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
AndyItwaru

Has Brock Lesnar really been worth it to the WWE?

Post by AndyItwaru » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Critically I love the man's work and the opportunity to hear Heyman promos, but ratings have plummeted and I dont think (correct me if im wrong) business in general is any great shakes right now. Perhaps the long term idea is building Brock up as this monster to headline the Texas mania and filling up the stadium, but its hard to think of a match that will generate the amount of buzz to fill that sucker up. I dont think the Austin match is happening, and even if it does you run into some problematic scenarios of a guy whose got a neck that's shot working with a guy that's pretty unsafe, and a match that would almost likely need Lesnar (a part timer) losing to Austin (MEGA part timer).

And one could make the argument that Lesnar is the most over character on WWE TV (although I wonder if the bloom is starting to slowly come of that rose) but I think that's more an indictment of how they treat their roster as opposed to how they book Lesnar.

Leo C

Re: Has Brock Lesnar really been worth it to the WWE?

Post by Leo C » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:41 pm

As you said, I particularly really enjoy watching him and Heyman and he's one of the most entertaining acts (probably the most entertaining), but that is as much a result of his awesomeness as it is a result of the mediocrity of the rest of the program (wouldn't put the blame on the roster but mostly on the booking). That being said, it's hard to say whether he has helped them without quarterly ratings, I think. I mean, he may be the one thing people still care about. Also hard to tell how the PPVs are going since now it's all on the Network anyway.

Max Traction

Post by Max Traction » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:28 am

IMO Brock Lesnar's success is down to the fact that, due to his legit crossover star status, he gets treated differently to anyone else by WWE:
- He is extremely protected in booking, always looks strong, doesn't trade pointless wins
- He's given a true-to-life character that probably closely resembles his actual personality
- He's used sparingly and doesn't repeatedly wrestle in pointless matches
Imagine if they did that with everyone they wanted to be a star.

Has it been worth it to the WWE? From the night after Battleground 2014 to WM31, he was the only thing with buzz in the whole company (apart from Daniel Bryan's brief return, or the Roman Reigns backlash, which probably doesn't count). As bad as things are now, imagine what they'd be like if Brock hadn't been there for those months, and WWE had gone through a whole year without a legitimate compelling champion.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:35 am

I believe mookieghana did a study on this and the result was that Brock essentially broke even as an investment. I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall that conclusion.

AndyItwaru

Post by AndyItwaru » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:52 pm

That's an interesting point about how things would be so much worse without Brock, but I think that there's also an argument that if Brock was off the table then they'd be forced to really go with a new guy at this point instead of pussyfooting around with Roman Reigns and cooling off the Rusevs and Wyatts of the company who might have been a major force if treated better. I think everyone at the company has accepted that they need to scale back on Cena (though in many ways he's at the critical high point of his career) and get a new guy ready. I always think about that one weirdo ppv number that Ryback did a few years ago with Punk and if they just stayed the course he might've been something. I think having Brock in their back pocket hampers the product in the big picture even if things are holding steady.