Thatcher, Gulak, Busick...targeted to gay community?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
DETROIT_KEJB

Thatcher, Gulak, Busick...targeted to gay community?

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:13 am

I decided to check out a Thatcher match and began to watch the bout vs Busic in front of about a dozen people. It took less than a minute for the whole thing to give off a homo-erotic vibe. I read the comments and noticed most of them seemed to be guys talking about "jacking off" or how hot Thatcher's body is.

Is this a deliberate thing on these guys parts? The extremely tiny trunks. No knee pads. It seems like they are playing to the gay market. This isn't a stance one of the other on it. As a straight male, I don't think I could watch these guys amongst other people without shit getting weird.
Last edited by DETROIT_KEJB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Thatcher, Gulak, Busic...targeted to gay community?

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:05 am

It isn't deliberate at all, but the indie grappling has started to build an underground following among gay men.

Same sort of thing happened in Dragon Gate about ten years ago or whatever. A roster full of good looking, in shape, late 20's charismatic dudes ended up being a big draw with gay males & women.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:40 am

What Joe said. You'll see those types of comments on lots of YouTube videos, regardless of style. There's a gay community, or some times I think people pretending to be gay for the laughs of it, who love to comment about the homoerotic nature of any wrestling match. It is more prevalent in a lot of the Thatcher/Busick/Gulak/Oliver John stuff because of their style and the gear they wear, but that's on the people making the comments not the wrestlers intentionally aiming for any sort of added homo-eroticism.
Last edited by BillThompson on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:35 am

Joe Lanza wrote:It isn't deliberate at all
We don't know that.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:45 am

Because none of you have pumped the gun to an Ibushi match? :roll:

Nathaniel Ledger

Post by Nathaniel Ledger » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:49 am

Is it this match?

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:04 pm

That's the one.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Chismo wrote:
We don't know that.
So let me get this straight. You think the wrestlers working the style and the promoters putting on the matches are making a deliberate attempt to appeal to the niche of a niche of a niche to get the dollars of indie wrestling fans who also happen to be gay who also happen to be into masculine male body contact?

Yeah, we may not know that, but we know that.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Wasn't there a fed around when Rollins/Black was starting out that only made softcore gay wrestling? For a lack of better word for it.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:23 pm

Can't wait for BxB Thatcher versus Gulak HARD GAY versus Pimpenlla Escabusick at Evolve 57. Big match.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:15 pm

If Thatcher starts doing stomach claws you might as well give up defending it and call them Customs, brothers. The style has way too much head and body scissoring for it to be straight as a dye.

robert.pannell.3

Thatcher, Gulak, Busic...targeted to gay community?

Post by robert.pannell.3 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Man I hope Vince never sees that video.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Chismo wrote:
We don't know that.
So let me get this straight. You think the wrestlers working the style and the promoters putting on the matches are making a deliberate attempt to appeal to the niche of a niche of a niche to get the dollars of indie wrestling fans who also happen to be gay who also happen to be into masculine male body contact?

Yeah, we may not know that, but we know that.
You can appeal to more groups at once, and I don't remember hearing anything from Busic, Thatcher or Gulak about it, no one asked them, so until I hear a decisive "NO" from them, there's a possibility open.

AndyItwaru

Post by AndyItwaru » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:53 pm

With the amount of indy guys struggling to make a living do you think it would ever be possible for an indy group to directly cater to the creepy gay guy audience? Shimmer kind of does it, even though there are a lot of people who actually enjoy the wrestling I'm sure there's also a significant portion of people who get a sexual thrill out of it. If gay dudes are gonna oggle these fellas anyway why not make a pay day?

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:17 pm

If you look at the tags for the video, the only thing you can assume is maybe people are searching for submission wrestling, but even that's a stretch. It's not like using the Intergender tag, which companies clearly do for a reason. And I'm pretty sure Thatcher's listed his influences when Alan interviewed him, so it's not he's just decided "hey, this'd be a good idea".