NWA Thread - The Relic, The Remnant

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
MobbVanDam

Re: NWA Thread - The Relic, The Remnant

Post by MobbVanDam » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:30 am

What is Greg Anthony going to do if there's no National title up for grabs??

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm

The junior title.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 pm

This was the first NWA video I've watched since the Ten Pounds of Gold era began and they got me to watch using a pretty simple formula-put people I/others like in a match and give me a reason to care about the title and the champion.

The match itself is good and certainly well within the quality I'd expect from Starr, but Aldis really does nothing for me and having the commentators selling his size advantage he had over Starr (which I wouldn't have really cared about otherwise), having him sell for Starr like he's Andre and Starr was Jim Duggan and listing off his TNA accomplishments sure isn't a way to compel me to watch future editions minus a similarly compelling opponent.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Bringing the thread back to life to note something:

Nick Aldis has, according to cagematch, only worked 29 matches this year. That's also 29 matches since he won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship last year in December. It's also only six matches more than his list of matches worked in 2017, eight less than in 2016 and sixteen less than in 2015. 23 of those 29 matches were title defenses for the NWA World Heavyweight title.

Either this dude is working a lot of shows that aren't making cagematch, or he is the lightest working "top talent" on the independent circuit.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:12 am

I might start using this thread as a retrospective questions thread, since nobody else drops in.

Does anyone know of any reliable online sources detailing the likes of NWA Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, NWA Florida / Ring Warriors and NWA Wildside? I've gotten very fascinated very quickly at the late 90s / all 00s situation of the NWA outside of TNA. I know Wildside had a lot of guys who fed into TNA and that Dave Marquez and Howard Brody did a lot to make their promotions the crown jewels of the NWA after TNA and Wildside left, but I was really curious to see if there were reviews anywhere, retrospectives on big feuds, their titles, etc...?

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:17 pm

If anybody would know stuff about that era of the NWA, it might be someone like Kris Zellner or Dylan Hales.

Coming back to present day NWA, it will be extremely interesting to see how they capitalize on all the attention Cody & All In has brought. You'd think with the way that Cody won the title, Aldis will get a rematch at some point. But since they've already started promoting the NWA's 70th anniversary on 10/21 with a show in Nashville at the Fairgrounds... that screams Jeff Jarrett to me, especially when you factor in his appearance at All In.

Speaking of that 70th anniversary show, Corgan also announced plans to re-introduce the National Heavyweight Championship there. He's also said on Instagram that Tag Team and Women's titles are coming. I'm skeptical about adding all those belts, but I'll wait and see to pass judgment.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:15 am

Jazz is the current women's champion and Lagana has said there is footage in the can on her, so expect that soon.

The other titles are vacant. Jazz & Tim Storm were the only inhereted champs that the new regime didn't strip.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Joe, what was the NWA Texas fed who used to book a lot of women's wrestling? It's been bugging me since the Jazz title defense got announced.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:19 am

Bringing the thread back to life to note something: the buzz has been such for the Crockett Cup in a couple of days that...the only preview podcast that I've seen for it up to this point has been The 411 on Wrestling...leave it to Larry to keep up with such things, I guess.

Well, lack of buzz notwithstanding, I'm slightly pumped for it; this might be...the sixth wrestling show I've watched this far, I think? so it must be worth something. That said, I'm sad that it's Stuka Jr./Maya Jr. and NOT Stuka Jr./Fuego in this. Also highly annoyed that there still is no listing for the Wild Card Battle Royal...

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm
Joe, what was the NWA Texas fed who used to book a lot of women's wrestling? It's been bugging me since the Jazz title defense got announced.
ACW used to (and maybe still does?) run the Queen of Joshi tournament and was doing stuff like IG before it was trendy. They've fallen off badly in recent years.

Inspire has always been big on womens graps. The promoter came from ACW.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:21 pm

ACW used to (and maybe still does?) run the Queen of Joshi tournament and was doing stuff like IG before it was trendy. They've fallen off badly in recent years. Inspire has always been big on womens graps. The promoter came from ACW.
There was a specific guy you mentioned on the podcast during one of the NWA bits. I don't remember the episode (wish there was a catalogue on YouTube to peruse, btw), but you'd offhandedly mentioned a specific NWA guy who booked a lot of women's wrestling in Texas and maybe fell out with Bruce Tharpe after a while, leading the scene to wither as far as the NWA was concerned?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:44 pm
Joe Lanza wrote:

ACW used to (and maybe still does?) run the Queen of Joshi tournament and was doing stuff like IG before it was trendy. They've fallen off badly in recent years. Inspire has always been big on womens graps. The promoter came from ACW.
There was a specific guy you mentioned on the podcast during one of the NWA bits. I don't remember the episode (wish there was a catalogue on YouTube to peruse, btw), but you'd offhandedly mentioned a specific NWA guy who booked a lot of women's wrestling in Texas and maybe fell out with Bruce Tharpe after a while, leading the scene to wither as far as the NWA was concerned?
Justin Bissonette. He left ACW to start up Inspire in 2013. For a brief while, he was booking the NWA Women's title for Tharpe. Tharpe approved the Santana Garrett title win over Barbi Hayden
in Florida without Biss being in the loop, blowing his future booking plans, so Inspire pulled out of the NWA and ended the arrangement.

Wrestling!

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:41 pm
Danwaka wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:44 pm
Joe Lanza wrote:

Justin Bissonette. He left ACW to start up Inspire in 2013. For a brief while, he was booking the NWA Women's title for Tharpe. Tharpe approved the Santana Garrett title win over Barbi Hayden
in Florida without Biss being in the loop, blowing his future booking plans, so Inspire pulled out of the NWA and ended the arrangement.

Wrestling!
Thank you! Was bugging me for months.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:18 pm

Crockett Cup will determine the new NWA World Tag Team champs.

Without looking, can you name the previous champions?

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Killer Elite Squad is the last team I can think of. And Rob Conway was in the mix for a while with Jax Dane or somebody else, I think. And there was that weird Diamond Star Wrestling thing in Tokyo where Rob Terry won the title with Kazushi Miyamoto. Am I close?