NWA Thread - The Relic, The Remnant

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
PKThree

Re: NWA Thread - The Relic, The Remnant

Post by PKThree » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Empiresk wrote:The Dave Lagana episode of Wrestlenomics was great, best interview/podcast I have listened to in years, and the thing I took out most was him saying "Why do we need a roster?".

Have Tim Storm tour the US and pop up all over the place whilst Lagana films him on his phone. Let him wrestle whoever and if they get over, like Jocephus, keep him them in your back pocket as if/when they do go down the line of running their own show or building a roster. Ready made storylines and history.

Seriously, Indy promotions on YouTube are mostly shit. Look at how PROGRESS is one of the hottest promotions in the world yet their YouTube presence has been dwarfed by the NWA. And it's not like PROGRESS aren't trying...

Less than TEN videos in and they already have Tim Storm over, Nick Aldis has a sympathy and a genuine reason to have a rematch and this unknown Jocephus guy has cut fantastic promos on both of them. Imagine Storm going to CZW, Glory Pro, Beyond, Wresltecircus and having Lagana film Elgin, David Starr, Joey Janela and whoever else. Hell, get him on shows at Mania weekend and get on Janela's Springbreak. Have an NWA Title match on the undercard of the WWN Supershow or WrestleCon. Make some buzz.

So much potential to build on from what they have done on a relative shoestring budget. Probably the most exciting wrestling story going into 2018 so far.
Jocephus is a Corgan guy, they go back a while and he was also one of the main guys that Corgan built Resistance Pro around. So him being involved was probably planned for a while. But I agree with the idea of having a small set roster for now, and having Storm and whoever else face off against talent from all over the states and possibly abroad for now. It is a sneaky smart way to get eyes on the NWA whilst allowing them to take their time with setting up their own shows. And once they do, the talent will already be established and over and the show will hopefully draw well.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 am

The NWA has never had a roster.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 am

Well CZW dropped a very heavy hint about a NWA title match tonight.

Short term Lagana/Billy have to juggle the shelf life of Tim Storm with the long list of challengers that have volunteered/been lined up.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:19 am

I haven't seen the match so I can't comment, but it was universally panned and the Instagram stream was a bad idea. Lagana already said they will stick with facebook & YouTube moving forward.

No question tonight was a step back. A lot of people are throwing the towel due to match quality. Next match needs to bring a big name to the table to get the mojo back.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 pm

I wanted to see the replay on Instagram, but either it's not available or they're making it way too hard to find.

Leafs451

Post by Leafs451 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm

BackLash wrote:I wanted to see the replay on Instagram, but either it's not available or they're making it way too hard to find.
Same, I couldn't watch live and they are not looking to make the replay easy to find.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:24 am

Mr. Storm's dance card is filling fast.

CZW also invited him to one of their shows on 12/9
Leafs451 wrote:
BackLash wrote:I wanted to see the replay on Instagram, but either it's not available or they're making it way too hard to find.
Same, I couldn't watch live and they are not looking to make the replay easy to find.
They said in a YouTube reply that it will be available on this week's episode of "Ten Pounds of Gold" though they didn't make it clear if it's going to be the whole match.

Headlock

Post by Headlock » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 am

Do you guys think the match quality can hurt the overall hype the NWA is getting right now?
Call me leon

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Headlock wrote:Do you guys think the match quality can hurt the overall hype the NWA is getting right now?
Definitely & I think that Josephus match is prove of that. I think a low or average level of match quality could result in people getting sick of Tim Storm & the NWA becoming a fad. That is a possibility. Even with the Aldis match, there were many people who were dissatisfied (mainly because of the finish).

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:06 am

Well, it looks like the NWA are doing the Josephus rematch for Tim Storm's next defence. I don't think this is wise considering the negative response of their first match. I hope they do better in the second match & Josephus can deliver with his in-ring work to back up his excellent promo work.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 am

Aldis beat Storm at Cage of death to become the new heavyweight champion. Match should be up on youtube later for those that did not catch it live.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 am

PKThree wrote:Aldis beat Storm at Cage of death to become the new heavyweight champion. Match should be up on youtube later for those that did not catch it live.
So, let me get this straight. Storm apparently comes to CZW to address the roster as there are CZW guys (Joey Janela, MJF, Matt Tremont etc) who want a title shot. Nobody from the CZW roster comes to the ring (even though there was a lot of teasing on social media). Instead, Nick Aldis challenges Tim Storm & wins the title. That comes across as extremely disappointing.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm

ScorpioCorp wrote:
PKThree wrote:Aldis beat Storm at Cage of death to become the new heavyweight champion. Match should be up on youtube later for those that did not catch it live.
So, let me get this straight. Storm apparently comes to CZW to address the roster as there are CZW guys (Joey Janela, MJF, Matt Tremont etc) who want a title shot. Nobody from the CZW roster comes to the ring (even though there was a lot of teasing on social media). Instead, Nick Aldis challenges Tim Storm & wins the title. That comes across as extremely disappointing.
Didn't Tremont come out and confront Storm? I've seen pictures of that online. But the storyline has been that Aldis has been promised a rematch anywhere at anytime after the finish of the first match so that's it I guess?

Either way, Storm era done and dusted. Time to see what happens next.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:06 pm

I have not been following this closely, but it seemed like the concept was "the NWA champ will go anywhere! face anyone! who knows what could happen!" and then the reality was was "he faced the same two (not must see) guys twice". That's not quite as exciting.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 pm

thecubsfan wrote:I have not been following this closely, but it seemed like the concept was "the NWA champ will go anywhere! face anyone! who knows what could happen!" and then the reality was was "he faced the same two (not must see) guys twice". That's not quite as exciting.
A lot of politics blew up a lot of plans at CZW

It has gotten stale for sure