WWE (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
supersonic

Re: Official WWE Thread: Post-WrestleMania 32

Post by supersonic » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:49 pm

If Jeff Hardy was available, now would be the perfect story of Rollins being prejudiced against face paint.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:34 am

Gotta be kidding me.

ODonnell

Official WWE Thread: Post-WrestleMania 32

Post by ODonnell » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:23 am

So....the Dudley Boyz are actually gone? Wasn't there a report a week ago that they just resigned?

Liked Bayley's debut, definitely got pushed up because Sasha's injury, and it was necessary. Came up by herself, without other women, and made to look like a big deal.

Kevin Owens winning the title would make my year, but it's gotta be Seth

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:01 am

The Balor injury is only hitting me now. I am pretty sad. He put New Japan and NXT ahead of himself at times to his credit and detriment. His career is far from over but I am gonna be bummed IF I bump into him the next while.

Weird that now the shoe is on the other foot between him and Becky. Him being the injured one and her doing well (for now).

Bayley's debut was just GOOD and left me with no indication they will book her better than Becky or Sasha.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 am

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 am

rovert wrote:Bayley's debut was just GOOD and left me with no indication they will book her better than Becky or Sasha.
She's on the wrong brand to tell a story of moving up. Being on RAW puts the expectation by the hardcore NXT types of being in main events with Charlotte and Sasha immediately and winning the title. That's not the story that will get the casuals to fall in love as well.

On Smackdown they could tell this.

She has to lose to Charlotte here, and the danger is the Dolph Ziggler (or even Becky) issue of getting beat to the point no one cares. Sasha/Bayley III is way down the road.

I think since the RAW ppv is "Clash of Champions" a better call was a short program with Asuka here. Keep her away while they build up Ember. Have her get screwed by Dana in "her one chance" so she doesn't lose her aura (or you can beat her on the main roster and give that to Charlotte). Put Bayley on Smackdown having to go through the other women on that roster: Alexa, Nattie, Nikki, Becky, hell even Carmella. Then you do Sasha or Charlotte (the one that doesn't have the title) on a supercard and the title match after a trade.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:20 am

ODonnell wrote:So....the Dudley Boyz are actually gone? Wasn't there a report a week ago that they just resigned?

Liked Bayley's debut, definitely got pushed up because Sasha's injury, and it was necessary. Came up by herself, without other women, and made to look like a big deal.

Kevin Owens winning the title would make my year, but it's gotta be Seth
Sadly I think Vince is going, "Okay Hunter we tried it your way, now we are going to do it my way with the guy you handpicked as the guy anyway"

Skyjacker

Post by Skyjacker » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 am

With Sasha out, there really isn't a strong babyface, let alone a pure face on Raw. Charlotte's other options right now are Nia and Dana. Summer and Alicia lost too much. I doubt Nia or Dana will work as a face. They pretty much had to go with Bayley. As long as they don't give away Bayley's big matchups on free tv like they did Becky's she should be fine hopefully.

ODonnell

Official WWE Thread: Post-WrestleMania 32

Post by ODonnell » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:26 pm

I haven't seen this talked about anywhere, but it's fucking criminal that they didn't throw Heath Slater out there for a segment over the past two days.

They actually have a great storyline for him where he starts getting screen time and kill it, and then when they're in front of the smarkiest fans that would go crazy for him, he's nowhere to be seen. It's almost as if they knew people would want to see him and he'd get more over, so they made sure it didn't happen. This fucking company.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:28 pm

rovert wrote:Bayley's debut was just GOOD and left me with no indication they will book her better than Becky or Sasha.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and let it play out but it was very underwhelming. She was just another member of the roster. They have plenty of time to tell her story, why she's important, who her fans are, etc. but I have little faith they can pull it off in any substantial way. Like Sasha and Becky before her, that final NXT match could end up being her peak and that's really a shame.

We'll see, I'll keep my fingers crossed because I truly believe a character like Bayley and who she appeals to and what she stands for could be gigantic for WWE. It's a segment of the audience (young women/girls) that WWE has never fully understood or attempted to appeal to directly.

AssDan316

Post by AssDan316 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Is the Bayley debut hurt by having already debuted her a month ago?

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:29 pm

supersonic wrote:
I sat directly behind the Smackdown announce team at Summerslam and saw Bubba and Devon shake hands, say their goodbyes, and wish everyone goodluck (especially so with JBL) with the smackdown announce team during Zayn/Neville's entraces, and was too stupid to put it all together. Only today did I realize what I saw like a dummy.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:32 pm

AssDan316 wrote:Is the Bayley debut hurt by having already debuted her a month ago?
no. this was the kind of crowd to do the RAW call up. Same as the Enzo/Cass callup, a crowd that knows who she is, can get her stuff over.

Casuals go "that's the onel everyone went wild for at the ppv"...announcers have put her over strong on both. It's part of the conditioning and it's far less forced (for now) than the singles push of a Cass, for example

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and let it play out but it was very underwhelming. She was just another member of the roster. They have plenty of time to tell her story, why she's important, who her fans are, etc. but I have little faith they can pull it off in any substantial way. Like Sasha and Becky before her, that final NXT match could end up being her peak and that's really a shame.

We'll see, I'll keep my fingers crossed because I truly believe a character like Bayley and who she appeals to and what she stands for could be gigantic for WWE. It's a segment of the audience (young women/girls) that WWE has never fully understood or attempted to appeal to directly.
Rich you already calling Sasha and Becky's peak? I know female careers are perceived to have shorter shelf lives (via aging, expectation of looking young) but they still have plenty of time to shine. From a pure star rating match quality standpoint, they have probably peaked. Becky hasn't even had a title run yet!

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:

The statement "hottest free agent" no longer has that zip to it, I think that's the problem.

I'm not sure how you have a better one without having her win the title. A crowd that loves her, a win over someone known, possibly the best use of her "goofy fun" aspects with doing the "cheap pop" gimmick which fits with the character

I think she needed a low key intro on SD and build to a star, but that wasn't the call. For this? I don't need her to be Nikkisawa week one, you just need her to be a deal to the fans in that audience to teach the ones watching at home that she's a big deal. They did that well with Becky and Charlotte (then blew it with adding Sasha to Naomi and Tamina and making it DOA/NOD/Boricuas 2015)

the problem is now she has to lose, and they don't rebuild well.