WWE (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
wac

Re: Let's bury the World Wrestling Federation....

Post by wac » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:36 pm

I'd rather see AJ and Jericho in the IC title match than another singles match. The card is getting pretty long if they're also planning on doing Usos/Dudleys, Kalisto/Ryback, Tamina/Naomi/Lana vs. Paige/Brie/Alicia, and the IC title match. That would be 10 matches if they did AJ/Jericho too.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:09 pm

Yeah I was with the political hit for a while but now its really been driven into the center of the Earth and stretched to its limit with stuff like "HHH made Ambrose look weak because he audibled the finish to make Ambrose look like a jobber" even though that wasn't the case whatsoever. Roman has just been put through a really situation and I feel bad that his career has been ruined because Vince is a stubborn old man.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:33 pm

The only thing "political" about the Reigns situation is how it is similar to what is happening in the GOP (and to a lesser extent the Democratic Party) this election cycle.

Establishment Republicans badly wanted Marco Rubio or Jeb Bush to be 'the man' and pull the party back from the Tea Party folks. Instead, the two most popular guys are an asshole (Donald Trump) and a dick (Ted Cruz). Those in charge of the GOP want desperately for Rubio to be their guy, buy he doesn't resonate with anyone in their party. And in an act of desperation, instead of just accepting their fate, they pull Mitt Romney out to endorse Rubio, the completely wrong move in this election.

Reigns is Rubio. Even though everyone and their mother knows he will never be the man for the fans, they continue to pretend they can pull the strings enough to get what they want. And yet, the more they try, the more they hurt him and the whole product.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:53 pm

I don't want to be Debbie Downer here but honestly I think Neville's done for good here.

Very much see him as a Matt Sydal type who had a little momentum but the company never took advantage of it & he will just be completely forgotten after sitting out a while.

Let's be honest - the guy can't talk. That's a strike. He has funny ears. That's fucking moronic to type, let alone think, but unfortunately that's a strike in the eyes of people in charge. There's going to be an entire new crop of Europeans coming in soon who can talk & are the flavor of the year. That's a strike because he's going to be looked at as old news by the time he's healed up. The final strike is even though the dude looks great, he doesn't have the natural frame to be carrying all that mass. He's gonna have to trim down a bit if he wants to keep working that style on a regular basis & the kiss of death in the WWE (and this isn't just a Vince thing) is losing muscle mass.

I'm not saying his career is over. Far from it. I think he'll eventually return and stick around in a going nowhere job until something clicks & I could easily see him returning to Japan and being a star. Perhaps the European scene continues to thrive and he can cash in on his WWE fame.

Really sucks as he's a great guy & clearly was looking forward to being on Wrestlemania even in a throwaway multi-man match. I think part of his reaction in that video they posted is because deep down he knows the writing is on the wall & he may never get another chance again.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

greenmanRD

Post by greenmanRD » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:06 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:I'm lowkey enjoying HHH v. the new wave of "young" guys. Just gotta get through the VINTAGE HHH prolonged, slow mid-match heat segment.

Roman Reigns with the post match heelish assault on the take-on-all-comers workhorse champion after a long valiant defense of his title.

...do they want people to boo Reigns?
Here's the thing, if Brock Lesnar would've been in Reigns' position (i.e. a heel took him out and he comes back later for violent revenge), people would've went ape shit. It's all with the guy they are doing it with, not the heel/face dynamic. Hell if Austin or Rock would've came out there to do the same attack back in their monster babyface runs people would've went nuts.

We can overanalyze this stuff and wonder what we think the masses are thinking about Reigns with every single booking decision, and he's easily been the worst booked person on the roster really ever since he had to have emergency surgery at the end of 2014. But people don't think about this stuff as critically as we do. They have not committed whatsoever to what kind of babyface they want Roman Reigns to be. Is he supposed to be the badass who takes on all comers like he did the night he beat Sheamus, Vince McMahon and the Authority for the title? Is he supposed to be the never say die, underdog babyface that doesn't quit no matter what mountain is ahead of him? Now those two things can overlap, but they've basically been tugging on Reigns in the middle, and they've pretty much blown their chance to make him a top guy for the foreseeable future. He can still be a top of the card guy, but he's basically Randy Orton now.

Reigns, I think is supposed to be an underdog babyface, at least him being an underdog has been substantially more prevalent. It's just annoying when you consider that they want a 6''5'' 270+ lb. former football player to be this underdog babyface when he can't cut a promo and relate to the people. Like imagine if they booked Neville as Brock Lesnar, this tiny jacked guy just throwing everyone around. We'd be laughing at this idea and thinking how dumb it is. The same goes for Reigns in his context. He's a guy who got a scholarship to play football at Georgia Tech and a brief run in the NFL, he's a guy who is incredibly good looking, he's a guy who can't talk on a mic and get people to believe in him as an underdog. Whenever someone is playing an underdog role they have to be the "common man" of the promotion, they have to be Mick Foley, Daniel Bryan, and what I presume Dean Ambrose is turning into (and I speculate Bayley will have this same distinction once she gets brought up to the main roster). Roman Reigns doesn't have that. They needed to book Reigns differently, and the people who are going to boo Reigns have already made that decision, they aren't going to change now.

I almost have speculate if we'll see Reigns turn heel though after Wrestlemania. It was awfully vicious and he showed no remorse, and really didn't even play to the crowd at all. He didn't come in through the crowd (though that could've been a strategic decision since he just had surgery), and he had to be pulled away by his friends to stop beating down HHH. Granted, they are getting home the point that HHH and Reigns hate each other and this is a match we have to see. But I couldn't help but notice that Reigns was acting like a heel in this beatdown.

It almost makes me wonder what their plans are for him post-Mania because there really isn't a heel challenger being built up for the belt right now if Ryback is going after the US Title. The only other possible heel would be Bray Wyatt, but they just did that a year ago. The only other guy whose been built up with any kind of momentum is babyface Dean Ambrose and babyface AJ Styles. It would seem wholly weird to put those two against a babyface Reigns when we all know what's going to happen from a crowd standpoint. The only heel programs that are available for him right now have to be Wyatt or Strowman and jesus christ that just can't be it can it?

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:52 pm

RobViper13 wrote:I don't want to be Debbie Downer here but honestly I think Neville's done for good here.

Very much see him as a Matt Sydal type who had a little momentum but the company never took advantage of it & he will just be completely forgotten after sitting out a while.

Let's be honest - the guy can't talk. That's a strike. He has funny ears. That's fucking moronic to type, let alone think, but unfortunately that's a strike in the eyes of people in charge. There's going to be an entire new crop of Europeans coming in soon who can talk & are the flavor of the year. That's a strike because he's going to be looked at as old news by the time he's healed up. The final strike is even though the dude looks great, he doesn't have the natural frame to be carrying all that mass. He's gonna have to trim down a bit if he wants to keep working that style on a regular basis & the kiss of death in the WWE (and this isn't just a Vince thing) is losing muscle mass.

I'm not saying his career is over. Far from it. I think he'll eventually return and stick around in a going nowhere job until something clicks & I could easily see him returning to Japan and being a star. Perhaps the European scene continues to thrive and he can cash in on his WWE fame.

Really sucks as he's a great guy & clearly was looking forward to being on Wrestlemania even in a throwaway multi-man match. I think part of his reaction in that video they posted is because deep down he knows the writing is on the wall & he may never get another chance again.

Holy shit, there's Debbie downer...and then there's this.

You conveniently leave out the failed drug tests with Sydal, and the fact that HHH hated him.

Neville's situation is not the same, he'll be fine when he comes back. His offense gets him over and he's not like anyone else on the roster currently, he'll be just fine. A freak accident on a baseball slide is no reason to start discussing "slimming down" and how that would affect him.

Padje

Post by Padje » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:I'm lowkey enjoying HHH v. the new wave of "young" guys. Just gotta get through the VINTAGE HHH prolonged, slow mid-match heat segment.

Roman Reigns with the post match heelish assault on the take-on-all-comers workhorse champion after a long valiant defense of his title.

...do they want people to boo Reigns?
Ambrose (or literally any other babyface on the roster, and even some of the heels) would be cheered if put in the exact same position. I would bet my life on it in the case of Ambrose.

Very tired of this nonsense. It isn't a HHH thing. It is very clearly a rejection of Roman Reigns thing. He isn't the guy, and I told everybody that pre Shield break up.
I was watching The Shield DVD the other day. Roman Reigns pieces to camera are delivered with all the enthusiasm of an aged rocker who shot to fame half a decade ago and never stopped touring. World weary, with nothing to prove, but no energy, no effervescence - and that's not so bad when you're Ronnie Wood explaining what type of guitar pedals you like to use at age 70, but when you're the 30 year old hand picked star of a promotion that plans on giving you the big title run, you might want to rub the sleep out of your eyes.

He might have 'it', but he certainly has no idea what it is or when to employ it. Every wrestler is doing a job, but with him it seems obvious.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:47 pm

WWE star Neville is expected to be out about three months after suffering his fractured ankle on Raw against Chris Jericho. The injury occurred during a sliding kick when the rubber in his footwear got caught in the mat of the ring as he executed the move.

Neville is expected back by late May/early June, as long as the healing and rehab process goes well.
I Neville will be fine. He'll never be a main event but he's someone main eventers like to work with on TV.

wac

Post by wac » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:27 pm

RobViper13 wrote:I don't want to be Debbie Downer here but honestly I think Neville's done for good here.

To me this just speaks to the fact that they don't know how or they don't want to put the guys on their roster in the best position to succeed. With a guy like Neville, who can do things nobody else on the roster does and was maybe the most consistently good worker on the roster for a time in his NXT run, it's not that hard to find a way to work around his flaws in your portrayal of him. The Neville/Balor match on NXT from a few weeks ago was kind of a sad reminder of how good the guy is and how little they seem to be interested in showing it on the main roster.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:45 pm

They see Neville as a "spot monkey". No more, no less.
Who's Rob Viper ?

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:57 am

Observer:
Bret Hart is recovering faster than expected from the surgery to remove his prostate due to cancer

For next year’s WrestleMania, it is official that there will be an NXT Takeover show on March 31, 2017, at the Amway Center.

On Raw, there was a commercial for the WWE Network plugging all the shows over Mania week, pushing seven hours of Mania coverage (two hour pregame show, one hour postgame show, four hour main show), the Hall of Fame, an Austin podcast with Foley and other special events. Very conspicuous by its absence was the 4/1 NXT special, which with the Nakamura debut and ridiculous secondary market prices, is clearly the most anticipated NXT show in history. The next day, a lot of people were openly not happy about that

Vince McMahon, Stephanie McMahon and HHH are being advertised for Raw shows on 4/11, 4/25, 5/2, 5/9 and 5/23. In theory, that would mean that HHH & Stephanie aren’t getting “fired” in storyline, but it really doesn’t mean that necessarily either

It hasn’t been announced yet and obviously this would be late stuff if it happens since it wasn’t in the magazine, the WWE was looking at putting together deals to get Snoop Dogg into the WWE Hall of Fame (in the spot this year originally set for Regis Philbin) and to give Joan Lunden the Warrior Award. Last year was the argument that it isn’t what Warrior suggested, and it very clearly wasn’t, as he suggested an award for people who work backstage as good employees for little notice (mentioning Jimmy Miranda, and he actually the award named after Miranda, not himself). But you could argue last year’s induction of Connor Michalek did serve a greater good. This year it does in a sense that honoring celebrities who have powerful TV names is good for business in a number of ways. In this case, Lunden was the longtime host of Good Morning America who has battled breast cancer very publicly

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:00 am

ODonnell wrote:

Holy shit, there's Debbie downer...and then there's this.

You conveniently leave out the failed drug tests with Sydal, and the fact that HHH hated him.

Neville's situation is not the same, he'll be fine when he comes back. His offense gets him over and he's not like anyone else on the roster currently, he'll be just fine. A freak accident on a baseball slide is no reason to start discussing "slimming down" and how that would affect him.
When I compare him to Sydal I'm saying there situations will end up similar, not that their careers are exact matches.

I'm well aware what happened was a freak accident. I'm the first guy to go after people who overreact when wrestlers get hurt in a physical sport and cry OMG WE NEED TO BAN THE STYLES CLASH. Neville's size has nothing to do with why he got hurt this time but it will have everything to do when he keeps getting hurt. Everyone looks at the moves or the style for a guy like Rey, rarely do they ever mention how his natural frame was not meant to support how big he got by the time he hit the WWE but still had to work the style everyone expected. At some point Neville is going to have to decide to either change his style (the only thing that he really has going for him) or shrink down a bit. No matter which way he goes I see it negatively effecting him in the eyes of the people in charge. I know everyone is all bunny rabbits & rainbows about the WWE Cruiserweight Show deal but at the end of the day this company will never be home sweet home for guys like Neville.

I hope I'm wrong and he ends up succeeding beyond belief and makes a ton of money in his career there. I just wouldn't bet on it and see no reason why after his first year in the company anyone would think he's destined to be anything more than where he is right now.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:27 am

Meltzer says Neville out 3 months, no surgery required.

Plan is Wyatt to feud with Lesnar and Reigns again this year.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:53 pm

Neville really needs to have a prolonged feud with Kalisto when he returns. Just let those guys have Dragon Gate style matches every night. They would get over.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:53 pm

Wyatt vs Reigns will bomb again

And does anyone have any idea what Dave is cryptically referring to on Observer Radio last night in regards to New Day/LON match. Bryan managed to pull out of him last night that the reason the Rock isn't likely to get involved in the finish is because they match is being built up and has been on the books because to "build to the spot at the end"

What on earth is he hinting at?