WWE (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
PKThree

Re: Official WWE Thread

Post by PKThree » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Austin Aries' attitude grated on people backstage? Call me shocked (not).

Correct me if I am wrong but Aries' attitude is fairly documented so it is not that surprising that he did not take well to the strict hierarchy structure that WWE has and probably expected to be slotted straight into the main event scene since other guys from his generations did.

Big time talent held back by his ego it seems. Shame.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:09 am

Considering he was willing to start in low places (NXT and Cruiserweight Division,) the idea that he'd expect to become a sudden top guy sounds like fantasy hating.

If anything, he probably just realized it was time to move up to a solid midcard spot. After all, what's Balor doing right now? Oh that's right - not booked for a PPV. Balor, Miz, and Ambrose could've all worked programs with Aries in the past month and they would've been both fresh and effective.

So he views himself as better than being slotted parallel to Kendrick? News flash - he IS superior to such a bit player role. Lastly, fuck off to anyone that questions his awareness of his excellence and the substantial opportunities that should come with that, when a total gassed up scrub is holding the company's most historic title with the false hopes that his ethnicity will help penetrate a largely populated market.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 am

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:24 am

supersonic wrote:Considering he was willing to start in low places (NXT and Cruiserweight Division,) the idea that he'd expect to become a sudden top guy sounds like fantasy hating.

If anything, he probably just realized it was time to move up to a solid midcard spot. After all, what's Balor doing right now? Oh that's right - not booked for a PPV. Balor, Miz, and Ambrose could've all worked programs with Aries in the past month and they would've been both fresh and effective.

So he views himself as better than being slotted parallel to Kendrick? News flash - he IS superior to such a bit player role. Lastly, fuck off to anyone that questions his awareness of his excellence and the substantial opportunities that should come with that, when a total gassed up scrub is holding the company's most historic title with the false hopes that his ethnicity will help penetrate a largely populated market.
Aries had been working as a cruiserweight (with three PPV appearances) since February. It's hardly like he was on the main roster for a year plus and made no progress. Whether he is superior or not isn't actually relevant; no one is entitled to specific slot and there is no secret sauce to being guaranteed a great position especially when you are undersized by WWE standards.

I'm quite taken by the interesting timing of his release when coupled with a week where a former tag team partner (Strong), a similarly talented but small star (Styles) and the man he beat in his breakthrough match (Joe) all have had tremendous success in WWE well beyond what their size and look constraints would have likely allowed a few years ago. And I can only conclude that attitude and a belief that you can earn success but won't be gifted it does work even in the WWE.

And as for your gratuitous slam at Jinder, it's clear he made the most of an opportunity, impressed the right people (Big Show was a big advocate for him earlier in the year) and has kept the right people happy to keep his push going. And he started in the same slot as Curt Hawkins. You and others may not like his work or the choice that was made, but he took advantage of an opportunity given while it appears Aries has decided he is unable to continue to work to do the same.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:58 pm

What was up last night with the VOW account and some others? Was watching the Hardys match in which the crowd was chanting delete and brother nero and then I look on twitter and they're talking about the fad being dead and never coming to WWE. What a strange narrative to push given what was actually going on in the match

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:08 pm

ODonnell wrote:What was up last night with the VOW account and some others? Was watching the Hardys match in which the crowd was chanting delete and brother nero and then I look on twitter and they're talking about the fad being dead and never coming to WWE. What a strange narrative to push given what was actually going on in the match
Yep.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm

It was Joe's tweet that got most people in a tizzy. While I don't agree that the "fad is over" or that the entire "fad" was overrated at the time, I do think it was utterly worthless to TNA long-term. My argument has never been that it was stupid or worthless, just that it did very little for TNA and them not re-signing the Hardys was a great idea.

I do wonder if our bubble overrates how big of a deal "Broken" Matt would be in WWE at this point or if the every week nature of WWE will put an enormous dent in the creativity. I don't know, I could be wrong, I'm willing to see it.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:It was Joe's tweet that got most people in a tizzy. While I don't agree that the "fad is over" or that the entire "fad" was overrated at the time, I do think it was utterly worthless to TNA long-term. My argument has never been that it was stupid or worthless, just that it did very little for TNA and them not re-signing the Hardys was a great idea.

I do wonder if our bubble overrates how big of a deal "Broken" Matt would be in WWE at this point or if the every week nature of WWE will put an enormous dent in the creativity. I don't know, I could be wrong, I'm willing to see it.
Over time, if we don't see this gimmick come to bear on TV, it will become less and less a thing. We're clearly not there yet, but the bigger question I have with the Hardys is what now? I almost feel like there is nothing more with Cesaro/Sheamus at this point and don't know what comes next for either team. Maybe the Hardys suddenly become 'free agents' and show up on Smackdown to face of the "Day of New" or something. I also don't know where the tag champions go in their current incarnation, but would definitely like to see them and the Revival hook up for a bit.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:I do wonder if our bubble overrates how big of a deal "Broken" Matt would be in WWE at this point or if the every week nature of WWE will put an enormous dent in the creativity. I don't know, I could be wrong, I'm willing to see it.
I think *in the WWE* it would get over pretty well if they give the Hardy's the creative control of it. All the weird throwbacks to WWE history, etc? It will get mad over with casuals who like WWE style entertainment and the occasional match.

Will it mean boom period? Probably not. Will it mean increased viewership? I don't know. Social engagment? Plenty.

I understand it didn't mean better ratings for TNA. But it got buzz, and TNA has no idea how to capitalize on buzz. WWE does they just fuck up depending on how they get it.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:14 am

While the angle itself came off okay (and that's how most people will remember), I think the first half of that Cass promo was absolute death.

Monotone, corpsing because he wasn't focused/couldn't decide to play smirking cocky proud of himself heel or intense heel/ was trying to remember words rather than getting his emotional center first

people disagree. I think it clicked once he got angry, but overall I'm not sure "I'm tall, I should be a star" is a proper motivation with depth potential

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:30 pm

I don't mind it for now. It's a little meta, he's basically playing out what people legitimately thought would happen with him and Enzo on the main roster. To be fair, they might also be emphasising the height stuff right now because of the Big Show feud and they've got time to find something else down the road when he's got a new feud. I don't know if they can solve the monotone delivery part though. That just seems to be how he talks.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:39 pm

cbacon87 wrote:I don't know if they can solve the monotone delivery part though. That just seems to be how he talks.
Well it's also promo strategy of "stay calm and then build" but the problem was *something* was keeping him from putting any inflection

it's the acting coach in me that sees this and thinks he's getting bad advice or mere stage notes vs. coaching

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 pm

1. I was surprised Aries signed with WWE in the first place. And after he was "reported" to no show or show up late a couple times, I was surprised he got the push he did. Like others have stated, he's a really good talent held back by his own issues more often than not. He's plenty talented enough to be a main player on SD Live or RAW, but I'm not surprised the Austin Aries WWE chapter is already over.

2. I felt myself pretty over the Broken Matt gimmick a lot sooner than a lot of fans out there, and I honestly didn't really want to see them back in WWE at all. It put a lot of eyes on Impact when it was at its peak, and at the time, I enjoyed and appreciated that. I thought Impact was on the rise earlier in the year, but I can't even watch it now. Nonetheless, I'm still undecided on whether or not I want to see the Broken gimmick in WWE. I don't think it'll do nearly as well as many think it will, and that's because Vince will probably have final say on what's done. For it to work, Matt would have to get 100% control. Yeah, not happenin.

3. Big Cass needs to keep his mouth shut and kick ass. Repeat. Repeat. Haha

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
cbacon87 wrote:I don't know if they can solve the monotone delivery part though. That just seems to be how he talks.
Well it's also promo strategy of "stay calm and then build" but the problem was *something* was keeping him from putting any inflection

it's the acting coach in me that sees this and thinks he's getting bad advice or mere stage notes vs. coaching
Thinking about it more, when Enzo and Cass first caught on they were doing a lot of casual, presumably off-script to some degree stuff and I think he was fine at that. So yeah, it's entirely possible that he just hasn't been coached well on how to cut a scripted heel promo. Or it just doesn't suit him period.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:32 pm

I thought putting him against Big Show immediately was as bad a choice as having Mike Awesome get in the ring with Kevin Nash during his initial WCW appearances.

Cass is big among the current roster. An absolute monster. Show him in contrast to the current guys, not someone from another era who is bigger than him. I know the long game is he beats Big Show but a) i'm dubious on the amount of cache beating Big Show has in 2017 and b) i don't like the optics of someone being taller them him, in particular if the gimmick is, as Jeff has dubbed it, "I'm tall, I should be a star"