WWE (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
GuestTimekeeper

Re: Official WWE Thread: Post-WrestleMania 32

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Boy, Titus didn't exactly "grab the brass ring" last night, did he...

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
rovert wrote:Bayley's debut was just GOOD and left me with no indication they will book her better than Becky or Sasha.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and let it play out but it was very underwhelming. She was just another member of the roster. They have plenty of time to tell her story, why she's important, who her fans are, etc. but I have little faith they can pull it off in any substantial way. Like Sasha and Becky before her, that final NXT match could end up being her peak and that's really a shame.

We'll see, I'll keep my fingers crossed because I truly believe a character like Bayley and who she appeals to and what she stands for could be gigantic for WWE. It's a segment of the audience (young women/girls) that WWE has never fully understood or attempted to appeal to directly.
Rich you already calling Sasha and Becky's peak? I know female careers are perceived to have shorter shelf lives (via aging, expectation of looking young) but they still have plenty of time to shine. From a pure star rating match quality standpoint, they have probably peaked. Becky hasn't even had a title run yet!
Becky may have a long way to go so I'll take her out of the coversation. I feel fairly confident we've seen the peak of Sasha. I don't really "like" that I feel that way as I think she's a great talent—one that I called the greatest womens wrestler in WWE history last year—but the injuries and use on the main roster have me feeling pretty down on her long term.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:26 pm

There has yet to be a main roster female match on par with last year's 3 Takeover singles MOTYCS, all involving Banks.

AssDan316

Post by AssDan316 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Since the last of those matches there hasn't been an NXT one either.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Damn Rich, that is a pessimistic take. Much like you, I hope you're wrong.

If true the "kiss me back, pussy" line from Brock to Jericho is super boss.

I know people mock the Vince concept that small guys are less durable, but ITS TRUE! Ya'll act like Vince is completely dumb but this is one thing he has a point on.

I'll use hoops since this is what I know about. Take Paul George for example: I remember when Bird wanted him to play PF and he refused because he would be undersized for that position and the toll of banging on his body would hurt his effectiveness over time. It's the same way with graps.
In my sport of choice powerlifting: I could lean out and compete at 145 lbs with like no body fat, but I stay fluffy at 160 because it helps my recovery and lessens my chance of injury.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Ferrante207 wrote: I know people mock the Vince concept that small guys are less durable, but ITS TRUE! Ya'll act like Vince is completely dumb but this is one thing he has a point on.
This by no way means I am defending Sasha or any small wrestler but it seems like everyone, including Vince, forgets how many times John Cena's been injured. I can name 6 times he missed a substantial amount of time since he has been in the company. Doesn't seem to me that size is the problem more so than how someone works or how bad luck plays a factor.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Joe and I talked about this YEARS ago when we were pleading for WWE to sign your top indie stars — these guys are coming in at relatively advanced ages with a ton of wear and tear on their body. Someone like Balor, who at 35, has put a ton of wear on his body working a more aggressive in-ring style and rarely taking a night off, comes in at a disadvantage than guys from year's past. You could argue big vs. small, the way guys work, how guys work, how often they work, etc, etc. but there's no doubt that the average wear on a guy as they make their way to the main roster is probably more than it's ever been. Think of what Sami Zayn's put his body through at age 32 compared to say, Hulk Hogan who was 32 in 1985.

So I honestly don't think it's a simple size issue. Dave argued a few months back about the crossfit versus heavy lifting and there could be something there. I just think overall the amount that guys work and the harder style guys work now on the indies or before they get to the main roster is taking its toll.

There's also a confluence of athletic injuries: rotator cuff, elbows, etc. versus the old days when guys would have their knees explode, quads tear or the old tried and true torn triceps which I think falls more into my theory (and maybe a little bit of Meltzers)

Superdeformed

Post by Superdeformed » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Simple Answer: Vince feeds off of his employees pain and misery, it's like steroids for him.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Superdeformed wrote:Simple Answer: Vince feeds off of his employees pain and misery, it's like steroids for him.
pretty sure steroids are like steroids to vince. :D :D :D :D :D :D

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:46 pm

I can't buy into the smaller guys get hurt more often theory when every weekend I watch all the stuff that goes on in Mexico where guys do the same spots only much more dangerously and there are RARELY occurances of guys being out for extended periods unless it's something major like a guy doing a balcony dive and missing his targets.

I can buy the age theory and it's the exact reason why you want to make sure guys aren't wasting away in NXT if they are ready to help the company.

I know I'm alone on an island here (but some, not all, wrestlers have agreed with me on this) - I think some of it has to do with the repetition. You have to be comfortable with taking certain spots which means training your body to know what's coming. It's why when you train to wrestle they make you bump over and over and over and over and over and over. You can seriously injure yourself on the most simplest of bumps. But by the sheer process of repetition bumping becomes second nature to wrestlers whereas the football guy WWE signs will take his first few bumps and hurt his elbows/feel some stinging in his neck. For example: Rollins could have done that buckle bomb to 95% of the roster with no issues but Sting was a part-timer who had never taken a bump like that in his career. Of course it's not going to work out well. If Bret Hart wants to be mad at anyone, perhaps it should be the agent that approved the spot.

It's cool the WWE is trying to make it safer and agents nix almost anything suggested that involves a neck bump or has a high degree of difficulty but at the same time you're creating a situation where when it comes time to do a big spot... it's a recipe for disaster. Someone's body may tense up as they haven't had to brace for a certain impact in such a long time or the guy doing the move may be rattled since he isn't used to giving it... there's really so many variables. I just think about how in the WWE if you even suggest doing a package piledriver you get chewed out. But every week I see that spot done 20-30 times in Mexico and nobody ever gets hurt. I'm telling you right now, one day on a big WWE show an agent is going to approve Steen using that spot and someone is going to get hurt for the exact reasons I mentioned even though the spot is really actually quite safe.

I'm not preaching to have anything goes all spots/bumps approved from now on (though I'd love that), but playing it safe to the degree the WWE is these days isn't exactly working out, is it? Maybe there needs to be a new line of thinking from those in charge.

And of course all that comes with the usual caveat... wrestling is a dangerous sport, injuries will occur. If you can't handle that fact as a fan you probably need to find something new to watch.

On a sidenote... remember when I met you Rich? I said how you reminded me of my friend Mark and the resemblance was incredible? Well in all his photos he poses like Okada so your avatar is now really creeping me out. I have to get you two together one day.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 am

Should Styles dethrone Ambrose at Backlack, I'll happily purchase a ticket to the 10/8 house show in Portland, even I can't actually be there for it.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:10 am

That Smackdown was awesome. Loved everything on it.

AJ Styles is positioned as the top guy of the brand, thank god

billknust

Post by billknust » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:24 am

Holy fuck, this Talking Smack has been amazing. First off Carmella attacks Nikki Bella again. Bryan insults the entire Raw tag roster and then Miz comes on and goes off on Daniel Bryan after Bryan told Miz he wrestled like a coward. Miz tells Bryan he has been in the ring every night for the last 10 years while Bryan has missed 6 to 12 months at a time. Miz calls Bryan a coward, and tells him to get back in the ring, and Bryan says you know I would if I could. Miz tells him if he means that to go wrestle in bingo halls. The two are literally yelling at each other and Bryan finally walks off the set.

Fantastic segment! They need more of this shit.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:24 am

Watch this week's Talking Smack, The Miz just delivered one of the best promos I've heard in years.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 am

Talking Smack....holy fucking shit