AAW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: AAW Thread

Post by mlev76 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Overall, the best live experience I've had at a show in quite some time. Very happy with my decision to attend and was thoroughly impressed by the whole production.

Match wise, the final three matches and the Yehi/Strickland match made the show for me, but really, everything I saw was at least good. I wasn't as high on ACH/Sammy as some, but that might be something that will be better on tape than live. Loved Penta/DJZ as I knew I would. DJZ/Shema/Xima deserves a big run somewhere and I hope 2018 is a big year for him.

I was actively dreading seeing Jimmy in the main event, but he handled himself fine. Sure, the level of work has increased significantly on the indies since his last go round, but he was smart enough to wrestle the right match for the night. Glad Fenix won and the Fenix/Elgin match in December should be great.

And hey, I got to meet Rich! And saw someone who was having his bachelor party at a wrestling show! And seemingly converted my brother-in-law into a fan! Wins all around!

User avatar
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin
Posts: 2174
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL
Contact:

Re: AAW Thread

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:32 pm

What a show. I've been going to AAW shows consistently for about five years now and that was far and away the best top-to-bottom show I've ever seen. Can't wait to see if it translates to tape.

Pleasure to meet you as well, sir! That was a fun night.

User avatar
Ckkj14
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: AAW Thread

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:54 pm

How quickly do they upload there shows to the Highspots network?

User avatar
themib
Posts: 1781
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:50 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: AAW Thread

Post by themib » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:How quickly do they upload there shows to the Highspots network?
Usually two months afterwards, they go up a week later on Smart Mark Video.

User avatar
gpusa
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 am
Location: Chicago

Re: AAW Thread

Post by gpusa » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:23 pm

As long as the weather permits I'm going to the show Saturday at bourbon street. The lineup is loaded but I think I'm most looking forward to Penta vs Fox vs Janela vs Hart and Lee/Strickland vs wentz/Xavier.

I was incredibly excited for Elgin vs fenix but I think Cobb is a worthy replacement and I'm curious which direction they go with the title.

User avatar
thecubsfan
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: AAW Thread

Post by thecubsfan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm really curious about the title match too.I thought for sure Elgin was winning when that was that match - it felt like he was really supposed to have won it over the summer, but they decided to run with Fenix/Callihan for a while and Elgin wasn't going to lose twice - and so they're in an uncharted territory. I think they could go with Cobb to go strong with the WRSTLING group, though it'd be a little weird since Starr seems to be the leader of the group, but maybe Starr is winning the Eddie Kingston championship so it'll make sense.

I'm not as excited about that match, mostly because it seems like one of those reward stips that favor one guy - I'm not sure why Eddie would really want annoying David Starr as his manager for the next year. AAW's done well enough this year that I'm more than willing to give them benefit of the doubt, but I also figure It'll also be the match I'll only see half off - there's a 100% chance of brawling next to the bar with a mob of people crowded around them. The rest of the show looks really good though.

User avatar
supersonic
Posts: 3332
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 am
Location: Edgar Martinez Dr S
Contact:

Re: AAW Thread

Post by supersonic » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 am

Meltzer:
AAW sold out all of its 500 tickets in Chicago for a 2/17 Tetsuya Naito vs. Sami Callihan match at Logan Square Arena in 90 minutes. They have a show also on 1/20 at Logan Square Arena and tickets are on sale still with Rey Fenix vs. Matt Riddle for the AAW title plus Juice Robinson appearing. ACH will also be getting an AAW title shot at some point, which will be announced soon.

User avatar
gpusa
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 am
Location: Chicago

Re: AAW Thread

Post by gpusa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 pm

The last show was solid but the really killed the crowd early with the ACH vs riddle draw (which was amazing until the non finish). The four way with Penta, Hart, Janela and AR Fox was as crazy as you would imagine. They followed that up w a bad tease that Penta and teddy would have a match right then which made people mad again and should have been changed after the draw.

I'm excited for 1/20, fenix and Riddle is a very interesting matchup to me.

User avatar
thecubsfan
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: AAW Thread

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:57 am

It's Teddy, so I was guessing part of that - at least the part that it was happening right here/now - was his idea on the moment. But the draw really did hurt. I think they thought having Davey Vega try to hit on Scarlett would change the mood, but that tag title match died a death and the crowd was cranky the rest of the night. That post intermission six man tag starting off with the cool triple dive spot to about 1/4th of the reaction you'd expect was sad. Crowd got into Starr/Eddie and Cobb/Fenix but even though it didn't feel like the level of a normal show.

I wonder if it would've helped to do "x minute elapsed" time cues; no one seemed prepared for even the idea of a time limit draw, to the point that the initial reaction seemed to be that someone had like accidentally run the bell. But I'm not sure if that would've mattered - that ACH/Riddle was going so good that people just really wanted a ending, and a time limit draw doesn't feel like one when they're never otherwise happening.

User avatar
gpusa
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 am
Location: Chicago

Re: AAW Thread

Post by gpusa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Last night was the first time that I've been able to attend in a while and the show really delivered.

The Fox/Reed vs Wolf/Miguel vs Something/Stallion ladder match was insane, Something really stood out to me and is stepping into his own in AAW.

Keith Lee, Xavier and Wentz vs Wrstling was the best match of the night. They have me really invested in the Eddie Kingston working for David Starr storyline and whenever it pays off Bourbon St will go nuts for Eddie. It sounds like Keith Lee is on his way out judging by his post match promo, him leaving puts a big hole in the roster.

Looked like Teddy Hart broke his arm in the match against Pentagon, hopefully hes alright.

User avatar
FilipPejic
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:05 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: AAW Thread

Post by FilipPejic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 pm

gpusa wrote:Last night was the first time that I've been able to attend in a while and the show really delivered.

The Fox/Reed vs Wolf/Miguel vs Something/Stallion ladder match was insane, Something really stood out to me and is stepping into his own in AAW.

Keith Lee, Xavier and Wentz vs Wrstling was the best match of the night. They have me really invested in the Eddie Kingston working for David Starr storyline and whenever it pays off Bourbon St will go nuts for Eddie. It sounds like Keith Lee is on his way out judging by his post match promo, him leaving puts a big hole in the roster.

Looked like Teddy Hart broke his arm in the match against Pentagon, hopefully hes alright.
I’m pretty sure teddy hart might be faking an injury cause he tends to do that a lot
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

User avatar
gpusa
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 am
Location: Chicago

Re: AAW Thread

Post by gpusa » Thu May 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Ive been catching up on this years shows on Highspots, theres been some real highlights but the depth of the roster isnt anywhere near where it was in 2016. Guys like Sabre, Gargano and Elgin are greatly missed.

Teddy Hart vs Myron Reed from January is my favorite car crash sprint match all year, they just kill each other for 10-15 minutes. Paco vs ACH on that show is a lot of fun too. Myron is going to be so good.

The first ACH vs Fenix match (the February one) is amazing, best AAW match since Elgin vs Sabre Jr last year. It really surprised me since I was at the rematch live and it really fell flat.

User avatar
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin
Posts: 2174
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL
Contact:

Re: AAW Thread

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu May 03, 2018 7:38 pm

The depth is definitely an issue right now. It looks like they are trying to rectify that and build some new guys in the next few months but it's going to be tough. WWE, NJPW and controversies in the world of wrestling has really done a number on the top level part of their roster. They've weathered the storm before but this is going to be one to keep an eye on.

User avatar
rovert
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 am

Re: AAW Thread

Post by rovert » Thu May 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:The depth is definitely an issue right now. It looks like they are trying to rectify that and build some new guys in the next few months but it's going to be tough. WWE, NJPW and controversies in the world of wrestling has really done a number on the top level part of their roster. They've weathered the storm before but this is going to be one to keep an eye on.
I joked on Twitter that 2018 is the year of the contract but it really is/will be both sides of Atlantic.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: AAW Thread

Post by mlev76 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 pm

gpusa wrote:Ive been catching up on this years shows on Highspots, theres been some real highlights but the depth of the roster isnt anywhere near where it was in 2016. Guys like Sabre, Gargano and Elgin are greatly missed.

Teddy Hart vs Myron Reed from January is my favorite car crash sprint match all year, they just kill each other for 10-15 minutes. Paco vs ACH on that show is a lot of fun too. Myron is going to be so good.

The first ACH vs Fenix match (the February one) is amazing, best AAW match since Elgin vs Sabre Jr last year. It really surprised me since I was at the rematch live and it really fell flat.
Where I think AAW has the opportunity to improve is the utilization of local talents or regulars on the higher part of the card. Guys like Paco,KLD, Stallion/Something, Reed and a few others could be elevated by working with the national talent.

I have no problem with Lee or ACH being champion, but they have to do more to promote from within. Even if they do get great national talent, they aren't PWG and they shouldn't try to be just a Midwest, less International version of that.

Post Reply