AAW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
TGD287

Re: AAW Thread

Post by TGD287 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Hope everyone got in a show at the Berwyn Eagles Club, because AAW is done with the place going forward. Primarily due to the forced rental of the building's ring of late, but numerous factors over the years as well.

It was always a warm fuzzy feeling to return there, and I'll miss it, but Logan Square and Bourbon Street have their benefits too, and good times will be had at both those places. Seven shows at the LSA on tap next year.

I do think they'll return one day when cooler heads prevail and compromises are made.

gpusa

Post by gpusa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

As someone that just started going in the last 2 years, I'm really glad that they are done in Berwyn. The building is a total dump and cash only for beers/snacks sucked. For greedy reasons I'm excited for more shows at Logan since its a 10 minute ride for me.

I'm excited for the 11/25 show, the younger guys should get some big spots with Cobb, Elgin and Sami gone.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pm

I selfishly always loved Berwyn because it's closer for me but I totally understand the move away. The forced ring rental (and construction) was a sore spot. I was at the show a few weeks back where Danny blew a gasket when a rope broke. Eventually they fixed it and the ropes broke again, that was probably the last straw.

I'll miss it and Greg's right, they'll be back at SOME point but I'll miss it. It had a charm for sure.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Tomorrow night's card as of now:

AAW Heavyweight Championship Match
Rey Fenix vs. Jimmy Jacobs

AAW Heritage Championship Match
PENTA EL 0M vs. Zema Ion

David Starr/Trevor Lee vs. Eddie Kingston/AR Fox

Shane Strickland vs. Fred Yehi

OI4K vs. Trey Miguel/Stephen Wolf

ACH vs. Sammy Guevara

Flip Gordon vs. Myron Reed

Plus:
AAW Tag Team Champions: Davey Vega/Mat Fitchett
Curt Stallion
PACO
Jake Something
Connor Braxton

The Heritage Title match is probably the match I'm most look forward to, but plenty of stuff that can be very good or better. Excited to see the Glory Pro guys live as well.

gpusa

Post by gpusa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:11 pm

I'll be there most likely posted up near the bar.

This lineup looks real fun, much different than a lot of the AAW cards they bring to Chicago. I'm looking forward to Sammy vs ACH the most, veteran/non high flying ACH has had some awesome matches the last few months with Stallion and Myron.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Both title matches are intriguing to me. If AAA basing Penta shows up, him vs DJZ is going to be as nuts as any of the Penta/Fenix matches. I will always be a fan of Penta but DJZ has been so great that ending the year with a slight surprise of a title match would be great.

I dunno what they do in the other one. It seems a little too soon for Fenix to be losing his title after the long chase, but Jacobs has old AAW history and of the moment (at least) buzz. This is not the most loaded top or the card card name they've run in Logan Park and they're going to sell out, which probably says a lot about how hot AAW is in general but also something about Jacobs being a difference maker. But then I don't know Jacobs mindset, if he's even planning on being on the indies for the long haul or if they're just doing this title match now because he may not be able to/want to later.

It is nice to care about some title match outcomes when I'm used to titles really not making much of a difference elsewhere.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:59 pm

As you guys have said, it's one of the more unique Logan shows they've ever done but it feels new and fresh so I'm really excited. VERY interested in how the Jacobs match plays out. I'm basically going in thinking Jacobs is winning the title and any other result would surprise me.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 pm

gpusa wrote:I'll be there most likely posted up near the bar.
I have tickets, not sure where though, I'll be wearing a flat brim White Sox hat and either a Kenny Omega or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar shirt... won't be hard to find :lol:

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:53 pm

I'll be front row but likely wandering at various parts of the night. If you see a redhead with a Colt Cabana shirt, faded Ohio State hat and a slightly taller brother-in-law with a look of confusion, that's me (probably).

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:54 pm

I'll be GA somewhere.

Thankfully they'll have pizza! Too bad for the $3 water though.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:18 pm

I'll be there tonight also, 3rd row I think. I'm probably most excited about Shane Strickland vs Fred Yehi.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:43 pm

This was a really fun show. ACH vs Sammy Guevara was the match of the night for me. Got pretty brutal. That slap?!? Wtf! Thought Sammy was legit knocked out.
My only real complaint of the show was that almost every single match had a post match handshake or an attempt at one, I'd rather see that kind of thing limited.
It was a pretty awesome show top to bottom with lots of insane spots.

gpusa

Post by gpusa » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:38 pm

I thought Yehi vs Strickland was the best match on the show. Strickland is one of the best Indy guys around imo.

ACH vs Sammy was cool but not the moty level match I've been seeing it hyped to be. Sammys dive into the 3rd row was some Sabu level craziness.

Penta and DJZ was a crazy sprint, probably the best Penta singles match I've seen since he fought Fenix at bourbon street last year. DJZ has been busting out a new great move every show it seems, the dive thru the corner ropes is amazing. The balcony dive was unexpected and insane.

I was excited to see Jimmy Jacobs and he did nothing for me, the zombie princess shtick is just so stupid. It's sort of a shame that he can't be an underdog baby face anymore with all of his history.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:00 pm

gpusa wrote:I thought Yehi vs Strickland was the best match on the show. Strickland is one of the best Indy guys around imo.

ACH vs Sammy was cool but not the moty level match I've been seeing it hyped to be. Sammys dive into the 3rd row was some Sabu level craziness.

Penta and DJZ was a crazy sprint, probably the best Penta singles match I've seen since he fought Fenix at bourbon street last year. DJZ has been busting out a new great move every show it seems, the dive thru the corner ropes is amazing. The balcony dive was unexpected and insane.

I was excited to see Jimmy Jacobs and he did nothing for me, the zombie princess shtick is just so stupid. It's sort of a shame that he can't be an underdog baby face anymore with all of his history.
I don't know how good Jacob's matches have been in his return to the indies, but I think I order to stay hot long term he's going to have to deliver big in terms of matches and character. He can't just live off his past name and I feel like the buzz of him being this guy who that no good evil WWE fired over a selfie has already worn off.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:12 pm

He can't just live off his past name and I feel like the buzz of him being this guy who that no good evil WWE fired over a selfie has already worn off.
He seemed to be doing good traffic with people getting autographs and selfies, I think he's going to be fine for at least a little while.