AAW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
TGD287

Re: AAW Thread

Post by TGD287 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm all for putting others over on your way out, but not so much the idea that once it feels like they're leaving, they must lose every single match.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:39 pm

AAW was, over the past few years,somewhat of a hybrid between just a super indie and a local indie. The top of the card was dominated by the national acts, but they have enough local/semi-local talent that filled out the card and who made AAW the most prominent place they worked. Probably the biggest problem they have now is how to best harness that latter talent. They were smart to put Kylie Rae over for the women's title and did a decent job with the Besties in the World over the last year or so, but guys like Paco, Myron Reed, Jake Something and Curt Stallion have somewhat been stalled where they are because of the focus on the national acts.

You look at Freelance which gets a lot less buzz and see that they have a card coming up in December with only one real national talent and the rest are midwest/Chicago talent and it's a very good card on paper if you've been following the product. I don't think AAW can put the use of national stars toothpaste back into the tube, but they need to start booking more local people and doing so in a way that they are legit stars even before WWE says they're stars.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:03 pm

I would assume ACH & Trevor Lee went an hour because they pitched the idea of going an hour, trying to do it while they still had a good shot of doing it. I assume that is in part why they've gone so strong in the ACH/Kingston direction too, giving those guys one last chance to work with each other before ACH is gobbled up. Trying to balance the cold reality of needing to guys to put over new talent on their way out while also wanting to do favors with people you're close with and have helped you seems like a tricky situation.

(Though I feel I have the right to be a little bit bitter that they went an hour on this show after going about 90 some seconds at the New Orleans show I was actually at.)

I think AAW is preparing for the future, though not in the way Joe was pushing. The prices for the 2019 season tickets looked pretty affordable, and then I realized it was partly because they're cutting their schedule back. There's 10 shows listed right now, compared to 14 Chicago-area shows last year. There's not been any announcement of a replacement for the 7 LaSalle shows either. Those don't have the same names or costs, but that adds up to half as many dates to fill. AAW can add shows later and has in the past - the pre-BOLA Thursday show maybe isn't on there only because they're not sure when BOLA is - but it looks like they're preparing for tougher times by cutting down their exposure.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:12 pm

I could apply the same argument to a number of indies, but I chose to pick on AAW since it'a a place we talk about pretty frequently by indie standards on the Flagship, and they have a guy who I think is pretty obvious for elevation who for whatever reason feels like his feet are stuck in cement (Something).

I hope during the rant that it came across that I don't think any of this is easy. Do I think some places (and the scene as a whole) didn't act fast enough? I do. Which makes things even harder than they already are.

Interesting point by cubs concerning the 2019 schedule, btw.

Also I find it interesting that the "all star game", PWG, was one of the few places this year to identify a new star, get behind them, and push the fuck out of them to get them over (Bandido).

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:03 pm

If only Kylie Rae was a dude.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:33 am

Can absolutely see them adding shows. Every year has a couple shows added late that are non season pass.

I feel they do have a good size roster of non overexposed names, and they've generally been holding the belts. But a common talking point with PWG is they're not stars, and it applies here too. Continuing to see tickets at those prices may be a struggle once the turnover happens in January.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:37 am

It's really a case of 1998 WCW syndrome with ROH and the super indies. They were in their comfort zone thinking this "boom period" would last forever and they didn't need to make any changes plan for the future. Now the time is near for a number of talent departures and people are freaking out.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:33 pm

PWG seem to be the template for modern indie wrestling, but I think CHIKARA and PROGRESS need to be the template for companies going forward. Yeah, CHIKARA got more eyes on them by doing King Of Trios, or bringing in Milano and yeah, PROGRESS got more eyes on them for bringing in Devitt, or using Zack and Marty early on, of course. But the key to both of those companies was as much about having local, unexposed talent with unique characters and in long-term storylines. Identity.. CHIKARA grew on the back of the Kings Of Wrestling feud, which admittedly had Hero involved, but encompassed all of the students, not to mention having guys like Mantis and Sweeney doing their own things too. PROGRESS grew on the back of Jimmy Havoc and Will Ospreay before they were names, in much the same way, character and story. You can still book the super indy talent, but having your local regulars in interesting storylines is just as important and longevity wise, it's probably more important.

The last time I was watching AAW regularly (not their fault), the title picture was built around Shane Hollister and his crew, with pre-ROH Silas Young in major storylines too. They were starting to book more and more names at that point, but it was still AAW-specific talent they were maximising. There's no reason companies can't go that route again, and have Penta magically show up on every indie show in the US at the same time as he currently seems to as well.

Also, FWIW, Janela/GCW's business model being built around deathmatch guys and novelty acts makes them seem doubly smart in the circumstances, although I'm sure they'd be doing that regardless.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:55 am

And AAW loses Brody King.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:23 am

Just watched my first AAW show with the 15th anniversary. Nice, polished Indy fed, reminds me of when I was obsessive with ROH in 05/06.

Any shows from the last 12 months that I should definitely check out if I pick up AAW OnDemand for a month or 2?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Foresite wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:23 am
Just watched my first AAW show with the 15th anniversary. Nice, polished Indy fed, reminds me of when I was obsessive with ROH in 05/06.

Any shows from the last 12 months that I should definitely check out if I pick up AAW OnDemand for a month or 2?
Haven't watched a ton from this year yet, but the Last Stand has a couple matches hovering near 4 stars and a real fun ACH farewell match with a good post match segment.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks!

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:57 pm

AAW debuts in Milwaukee this weekend. Hope it's a success for them as they're running ROH's old building and ROH is no longer hot in that market (2013-2014, Milwaukee was one of their best towns). Juvy vs. Johnny Nitro could be a real disaster if they aren't careful. I guess it could also be strangely good. High ceiling, low floor for that.

Callihan vs. Fatu is worth buying a ticket to see. Callihan is going to work hard and AAW feels very behind Fatu. He's getting the Brody King push since King got swept away from them at the start of the year.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:55 am

This is one hell of a card for what I think is the top true indie in the U.S.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:04 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:55 am
This is one hell of a card for what I think is the top true indie in the U.S.
That's interesting. How do you qualify indie? No streaming or TV appearances?