AAW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
RobViper13

Re: AAW Thread

Post by RobViper13 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:09 am

I am jumping on the AAW train a bit late but going all in. Night 1 of the Jim Lynam tournament was great and due to lack of time to sleep only slowly working my way through Night 2 but so far it's been just as good. Cobb/Sabre was so awesome, I only wished it went way longer.

Might not come off well around these parts but AAW really comes off to me as becoming the central time zone version of PWG with the dream matches, how hard the guys perform & the great crowd reactions. I'm much more inclined to enjoy shows that have great crowds that sit through EVOLVE shows where maybe the wrestling is technically just as good (IMO it's not) but the atmosphere just takes me completely out of it. Kinda like ROH TV last week. It's one thing to have great matches but another thing when they are taking place in front of 50 fans who are just politely clapping or chanting "this is awesome".

I know AAW takes some shit from turning the shows too much into all-star shows instead of using more local guys but it's working for someone like me. I can't wait to finish Night 2 & buy the 11/4 show next weekend.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

themib

Post by themib » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:42 am

I think AAW are comfortable doing so because there's Freelance in the city that uses more of a local core of talent, and it's a way to use their tenure to differentiate themselves.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:49 pm

RobViper13 wrote: Might not come off well around these parts but AAW really comes off to me as becoming the central time zone version of PWG with the dream matches, how hard the guys perform & the great crowd reactions. I'm much more inclined to enjoy shows that have great crowds that sit through EVOLVE shows where maybe the wrestling is technically just as good (IMO it's not) but the atmosphere just takes me completely out of it. Kinda like ROH TV last week. It's one thing to have great matches but another thing when they are taking place in front of 50 fans who are just politely clapping or chanting "this is awesome".

I totally agree about the crowd thing. Having a hot crowd does so so much for my enjoyment of wrestling. On the one hand it's obvious, but I, too, much prefer a somewhat inferior in-ring product with a much better crowd. Just makes a ton of difference.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:01 pm

I don't try to critique crowds these days because I personally don't emote much when I'm there, so I feel I would be a hypocrite. But it is true for enjoyment of an entertainment product, crowd energy is huge.

Yeah, once they decided to have this level of talent on every show starting around March, the PWG comparison was thrown around regularly. And while the month to month storytelling isn't where it was at years ago, ultimately the shows are more entertaining and that's what it's all about.

And here's the thing about the company, who say they shouldn't have increased things this quickly. Danny and co have owned it for about 10 years. Who's to say if they got stagnant for an extended period, that they just decide to close up shop? Then the local guys who got bumped off (who I am fans of!) still won't be wrestling on the shows because they're not happening.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:07 pm

I've always said give me a "8" show with a hot crowd over a "10" show with a nothing crowd. In fact, I'm not sure you can have a "10" show if the crowd isn't hot. This goes for all promotions, all countries too. There's a reason Osaka New Japan shows are seemingly better than others and why Chicago WWE PPVs always seem to stand out. The crowds make everything feel more important, more impactful and absolutely raise my personal enjoyment level.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:08 am

I really liked Fenix/Pentagon Jr. vs Jake Crist/Sami Callahan from Night 2 of the Jim Lynam Memorial. Non-stop action, all bombs. Fenix's dive off Pentagon' shoulders a sure fire DOTYC and crazier than the BOLA off the shoulders dive because I had never seen the somersault version before.

Cage vs Fox vs Gulak was a weird mix of styles but turned into a super fun match. Does Fox ever take a night off? That shirunai off the apron combined with his moonsault dive was fucking insane.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Watched the Pentagon Jr. title win over Sami yesterday and has to be one of my top non-Mexico wrestling moments this year. Match was great, finish was perfectly done & the entire atmopshere was bonkers. I loved the presentation so much. Post-match was superb with Pentagon getting to cut his promo in Spanish, Ciampa's music hitting/crowd going nuts & the dueling promos where each guy was speaking a different language.... and it didn't effect the crowd's enthusiasm at all. That's the way it should be. It was just so organic. It's amazing AAW can do this in front of 300/400 fans where you gotta figure the Spanish speaking population is low but WWE which claims to be a worldwide company won't let anyone dare speak anything other than English even though they have 10,000+ sometimes for RAW where I'm sure a far greater percentage than AAW fans would be able to understand Spanish.

Honestly I was never really a Sami Callahan guy before he went to WWE. I saw some real stinkers with him in EVOLVE and various other places. He was a guy like Drake Younger who I heard WWE signed and just couldn't wrap my head around why. But now that Sami is back on the indies/in LU all I can think is how did WWE miss the boat on him. He's a bit "different" which I guess is definitely frowned upon in WWE but he seems like he'd have been a good hand to have around considering all the talent they are rounding up these days to work those Tampa shows.

gpusa

Post by gpusa » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:09 pm

RobViper13 wrote:Watched the Pentagon Jr. title win over Sami yesterday and has to be one of my top non-Mexico wrestling moments this year. Match was great, finish was perfectly done & the entire atmopshere was bonkers. I loved the presentation so much. Post-match was superb with Pentagon getting to cut his promo in Spanish, Ciampa's music hitting/crowd going nuts & the dueling promos where each guy was speaking a different language.... and it didn't effect the crowd's enthusiasm at all. That's the way it should be. It was just so organic. It's amazing AAW can do this in front of 300/400 fans where you gotta figure the Spanish speaking population is low but WWE which claims to be a worldwide company won't let anyone dare speak anything other than English even though they have 10,000+ sometimes for RAW where I'm sure a far greater percentage than AAW fans would be able to understand Spanish.
I had no clue what Pentagon was saying but that was my favorite moment in AAW all year between his win and Ciampa coming out. I think you would be surprised how many spanish speakers are at AAW shows though, especially when Pentagon/Fenix come in.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:32 pm

You're right, the one time I went to AAW there was definitely quite a few Spanish speakers. My badly explained point was if you figure AAW which is just a small-time indy group can pull something like that off, imagine a WWE crowd with 15/20x the audience. You probably have well into the thousands of people who understand Spanish so if the company or the guy in charge of the company could get past the mental block of everyone needs to speak English, there really shouldn't be any reason if they made a Hispanic star he could just cut his promos in Spanish. Half the game is your delivery. Nobody understood fuck all Ultimate Warrior was saying.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:15 pm

So I'm trying to take advantage of the Smart Mark Video sale and picking up the two latest Alpha-1 Wrestling shows since I wasn't able to attend. What are 3 of the most recent AAW shows would you recommend me getting to complete the sale.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:32 pm

I'd get the two Jim Lynam tournament shows and the recent November show that sets up this weekend's Windy City Classic.

gpusa

Post by gpusa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:34 pm

I wasnt able to get a ticket to Saturdays show before it sold out, pm me if you have an extra please.

themib

Post by themib » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:27 am

Plenty more names to have matches announced (or likely they won't be known until they happen) featuring the likes of Chuck Taylor, Colt Cabana and Kongo Kong, but here's the announced matches for tomorrow's sold out Windy City Classic XII at Logan Square Auditorium...

AAW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Sami Callihan (c) vs. Chris Hero
AAW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: The Besties in the World (Davey Vega & Mat Fitchett) (c) vs. Andrew Everett & Trevor Lee
SHIMMER CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Mercedes Martinez (c) vs. Kimber Lee
Drago, Pentagon Jr. & Rey Horus vs. Eddie Kingston, Homicide & Low-Ki
I QUIT MATCH: Heidi Lovelace vs. Jessicka Havok
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. TRENT?
ACH vs. Prince Mustafa Ali

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

That was a great show. Maybe the best I've ever seen live. Almost sabotaged by the fact that I was seated in front of the funniest guys in the office who were loudly chanting awful jokes all show, but still phenomenal.

Each match was nuts, excepting perhaps the SHIMMER title match. And the show may have been victimized by having a ton of long barn-burners, because I was pretty much spent by the time Callihan/Hero rolled around. I voluntarily missed my train to see that one through and while it wasn't bad I'm not sure it truly delivered. I might have just been out of brain chemicals by that point in the show.

Super tough to pick a match of the night, but I'd probably have to go with Trent/ZSJ. They killed it to such an insane degree, went 21 minutes, and THEN Michael Elgin came out afterwards for an angle. It was a damn feast. The Heidi Lovelace/Jessica Havok was probably the sleeper of the show. I hadn't seen much of either woman before this but they both tore the damn house down, especially Heidi.

The local talent really impressed too. The Hooligans, Connor Braxton, The Besties, and the two guys who weren't Chuck Taylor in that three-way all killed it.

Fantastic venue, that Logan Square Auditiorium. Lots of seating for general admission, and only the final wave of stragglers had to stand the whole show. Got a great seat without having to arrive insanely early. This is probably getting into the rambling territory, but it was just a fuckin' great live experience all around. I bought tickets for the 12/30 show, and I'll be counting the days.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:51 pm

Garuda wrote:That was a great show. Maybe the best I've ever seen live. Almost sabotaged by the fact that I was seated in front of the funniest guys in the office who were loudly chanting awful jokes all show, but still phenomenal.
The dude who yelled "GO BACK TO HOT TOPIC" at Sami Callihan was the best because I believe he was wearing a Misfits shirt, hipster glasses and a vest with punk band patches that he most definitely purchased at Hot Topic.

Pleasure to meet you, man, hope to see you at the next show!