AAW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Mike

AAW Thread

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:27 pm

AAW returns on Friday night with United We Stand at Boubon Street. I'm not a big fan of the venue, but AAW's production has been tremendous this year where it looks nice on video. The show itself looks fun with a killer six-man tag that I'm excited to see and Hero/Ciampa.

AAW Heavyweight Championship: Ethan Page (c) vs. Johnny Gargano
AAW Tag Team Championship: Dave + Jake Crist (c) vs. Devin + Mason Cutter
Matt Cage vs. Shane Hollister
Chris Hero vs. Tommaso Ciampa
CJ Esparza/Brett Gakiya/Tyler Thomas vs. Davey Vega/Mat Fitchett/DJZ
Heidi Lovelace/Candice Lerae vs. Allysin Kay/Taeler Hendrix

Already signed:
The New AAW Heritage Champion Louis Lyndon
Colt Cabana
Tyson Dux
Christian Faith
Gregory Iron
Markus Crane

SammyJ_D

Re: AAW Thread

Post by SammyJ_D » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Will Justice Jones be on this show to kill someone?

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Mike wrote:AAW returns on Friday night with United We Stand at Boubon Street. I'm not a big fan of the venue, but AAW's production has been tremendous this year where it looks nice on video. The show itself looks fun with a killer six-man tag that I'm excited to see and Hero/Ciampa.

AAW Heavyweight Championship: Ethan Page (c) vs. Johnny Gargano
AAW Tag Team Championship: Dave + Jake Crist (c) vs. Devin + Mason Cutter
Matt Cage vs. Shane Hollister
Chris Hero vs. Tommaso Ciampa
CJ Esparza/Brett Gakiya/Tyler Thomas vs. Davey Vega/Mat Fitchett/DJZ
Heidi Lovelace/Candice Lerae vs. Allysin Kay/Taeler Hendrix

Already signed:
The New AAW Heritage Champion Louis Lyndon
Colt Cabana
Tyson Dux
Christian Faith
Gregory Iron
Markus Crane
Friday night shows in Bourbon Street are no damn good. I just can't get there at a reasonable time and I like to be at a show as early as possible. Hard to everyone who lives in and around the city proper. Seems like a solid show though.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Friday night indy shows are strange really. You work a normal day and maybe it's just a sign of getting older but I'm wiped out halfway in unless I take a 5 Hour Energy shot first.

And yeah Merrionette Park seems to be 45 minutes south of Berwyn, so I can see that being a turn off for some people coming from the north.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:58 pm

Mike wrote:Friday night indy shows are strange really. You work a normal day and maybe it's just a sign of getting older but I'm wiped out halfway in unless I take a 5 Hour Energy shot first.

And yeah Merrionette Park seems to be 45 minutes south of Berwyn, so I can see that being a turn off for some people coming from the north.
As a fun little experiment, check Google Maps for Eagles Club to Merrionette Park at 5pm today. I would have to leave my job (I work in Forest Park, town next to Berwyn) immediately after (5pm) just to get there and park by 7pm. Add in the fact that normally I need to, you know, take care & feed my dogs, it's just not feasible to do it. Worse yet, there are guys that come from far north of the city, some without cars. That's such a burden to do on a Friday.

Saturday shows 4 life.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Friday shows are often the reality of where they are in the indie hierarchy (below ROH, PWG, and WWN), and they know it. Many times it's the only way they'll be able to get top regulars. But it does suck. I daily take a train from the northern suburbs to downtown for work, and for years for the Friday shows I'd have to drive in and pay overpriced parking and go straight there afterward. No problem doing it for AAW, but it stings. Alternatively I would park at the Squared Circle for free, and Divvy bike to and from work, but that takes an hour overall, so I'd still get in a bit late. Thankfully I can now work out of Elmhurst on those days, and deal with only a fraction of the traffic.

It's a further drive, and I hate the $5 VIP parking (but I hate valet more. Screw valet, when I'm done I want to go!!!), but I do appreciate the benefits of waiting inside, ordering a full dinner, and playing some slots to scratch that gambling itch.

Anyway.... a couple questions:

I still don't know what happened to Justice Jones. He had the undefeated streak going, and that out of no where loses to Boz while tangled in the ropes. Was it a sudden punishment from getting into a confrontation with a couple fans in the match?

AAW Vanguard is already done due to reasons beyond their control. Wonder what happened there?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Nobody is talking. I've asked a few people who work in the company and they haven't heard anything. Lovely, this wrestling business.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:28 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Mike wrote:Friday night indy shows are strange really. You work a normal day and maybe it's just a sign of getting older but I'm wiped out halfway in unless I take a 5 Hour Energy shot first.

As a fun little experiment, check Google Maps for Eagles Club to Merrionette Park at 5pm today. I would have to leave my job (I work in Forest Park, town next to Berwyn) immediately after (5pm) just to get there and park by 7pm. Add in the fact that normally I need to, you know, take care & feed my dogs, it's just not feasible to do it. Worse yet, there are guys that come from far north of the city, some without cars. That's such a burden to do on a Friday.

Saturday shows 4 life.
Oh I believe it!

I actually looked it up on Google Maps when I posted that at around 2:30, 1:30 your time and there was traffic. And that's on a Tuesday afternoon!

The Vanguard stuff isn't surprising if only because these shows were such a drop down in talent that it's going to turn people off right away. There's more than enough wrestling to watch that promotions like this fall to the side and die. It's too bad it takes away a booking/ringtime/payday for a young wrestler, but it just wasn't something a lot of people wanted.

Not to pile on a promotion that is no more, but look at this lineup http://smartmarkvideo.com/promotions/aa ... l-download. I doubt they sold 25 copies of that show.

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:59 pm

First, I think AAW is one of the oddest "higher up" indies in that I see next to no value in their shows. Like a psychopath I attempted time and time again over the years to give them a go but always find that I have done a fairly poor job making the decision. Haven't tried it in about a year but I think I have learned. Oddly enough I kinda liked some stuff that was popping up through their internet shows but then again I could get 2 or 3 matches with guys I like in as many weeks. Truly feel Louis Lyndon and Justice Jones were ahead of the pack (within the promotion) from what I saw. Lyndon is obviously one of those TALENTS in my eyes. Why he doesn't get more bookings I will never know. Justice Jones in the 3-4 matches I saw from him was a better hoss than 90% of the fellas labeled hoss on the indies.

As for the Vanguard shows, I get why they were end them though it makes me a little sad with young wrestlers finding themselves being one of my absolute favorite things to watch in wrestling. Look at Conor Claxton, Frankie Picard, and Alex Daniels from last year and they were going out there figuring out what was going to work for them. Granted Vanguard didn't look to be doing enough in that regard, understandably since I don't think they have a school to speak of.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:20 pm

Last night was a pretty good show, if not blowaway. Perhaps Hero vs. Ciampa was overkill with the strikes, but it was a wonderful match. Ciampa has been the best addition to the roster this year. Great pickup following his move to Milwaukee and leaving ROH.

When Cabana isn't around often, you can appreciate what he brings to a show, so that was a welcome treat. Although this seemed to have a motive. There were more (fancier) cameras around, including a freakin boom mic that I'm sure was ruining the hard cam shot. During a later match, he could be seen doing some promo or interview in the back. And they had a special ring announcer for the match, Mr. Ricolo who I remember from POWW. My first thought was Wrestling Road Diaries 3. But who knows.

Opening six man tag was fun.

The Cage/Dux team is working out pretty well.

Kingston having a one minute squash in workout clothes was weird.

Women's match was just OK.

Main event was good, but it does expose the No DQ rule that Ego felt the need to use a low blow with the ref slightly distracted to win, when it was technically legal anyway.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:47 pm

There is a show next Sunday afternoon- their first I believe since Dirty Deeds, which was a super fun show. And then they never ran that building again. But anyway, Sydal is booked for the show. And in some random trivia, he has wrestled Johnny Gargano once before on August 8, 2014, so one year and one day later is the rematch.

Anything Goes Bourbon Street Fight: Eddie Kingston/Shane Hollister vs. Matt Cage/Tyson Dux
AAW Heritage Championship: Louis Lyndon vs. Christian Faith
Matt Sydal vs. Johnny Gargano
Zero Gravity vs. Mat Fitchett/Davey Vega

Tommaso Ciampa is also booked for the show.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Gargano vs. Sydal sounds fantastic

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Going to try and make it out to the show. Sunday afternoons are WAY easier to get to 115 than Friday nights. Card looks solid so far. I'm way into Sydal/Gargano.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Jim Lynam, one of the owners of AAW, has suddenly passed away.
http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/75 ... s-suddenly