WCW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
br26
VOW Staff Member

Re: WCW Thread

Post by br26 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:07 pm

I just witnessed the most unintentionally hilarious promo of 1990 so far as a blindfolded Gordon Solie interviewed the Black Scorpion where he promised he would take Sting's title AND HIS SOUL.

Solie called the interview "a most bizarre situation".

soup23

Post by soup23 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:29 pm

Solie really was in some hilarious situations in 1990 between that and his report on Robocop.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:42 am

WCW had lots of surreal moments (The David Lynch-esque voiceovers on the motorcycle montage at Hog Wild '96 being a personal favorite) but seeing Gordon ding dang Solie involved in these weird fantasy angles is just so strange. And by the way, the whole Wrestling News Network segments were strange in themselves. Like he would report on other territories, but would kind of work the story until it related back to the NWA. Is that the earliest instance of any kind of "reality" aspect to pro wrestling?

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:08 am

Jim Herd just broke in to announce that Ric Flair has been stripped of the WCW Heavyweight Championship and is no longer with the company. JR and Paul E. Dangerously are beside themselves and Paul has to get on the cell phone right away. The fans are booing like crazy, but I don't know if they "herd" Herd's announcement or if they are just booing The Z Man and Joe Carzana.

br26
VOW Staff Member

Post by br26 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:40 am

I watched The Great American Bash 1991. it's the worst PPV ever.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:51 am

A couple thoughts here

Thanks to this thread I checked out that Where the Big Boys Play podcast. That thing is a dream come true. Soup23 is Chad from the show, correct? Very cool show.

I watched that Juicer match posted below, and then happened to catch one on the stream. I'm utterly confused. I genuinely am reaching to figure out what exactly the gimmick is. The KISS makeup and children are the wrenches in the gears.

1990 might be the most brutal year for WCW squashes. Between the Stan Hansen and Doom squashes, the trail of jobber blood must be a mile long.

I'm still trying to compile all my thoughts on Lex Luger. The guy is legitimately one of the most interesting wrestlers of all time. His career is so fascinating.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I am Chad.

GAB 91 is by no means a good PPV, but when I rewatched it for Where the Big Boys Play, I thought it wasn't as bad as the hype and enjoyed the Luger/Windham and Gibson/Morton matches. That main event and scaffold match though.....ugh.

beakerjoe

Post by beakerjoe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:06 pm

I have to say when looking back over Chris Jericho's heel run in 98, he was on fire. Not only was his in ring stuff a joy to watch but his promo's/skits and general mannerisms were just fun to watch.

WWEs undercard needs someone like this these days.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:35 pm

WAIT WAIT WAIT.... The Juicer was ART BARR?!?! This is wild.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:45 pm

Drew Wardlaw wrote:WAIT WAIT WAIT.... The Juicer was ART BARR?!?! This is wild.
EVEN YOUR PANTS!

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:16 pm

This will be 23 years on Sunday. Go to about 9 minutes in for the closing stretch. One of the biggest pops you ever heard. JR is so great in this. I'm not a big Ron Simmons fan, but this is one of my favorite WCW moments.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Mike wrote:This will be 23 years on Sunday. Go to about 9 minutes in for the closing stretch. One of the biggest pops you ever heard. JR is so great in this. I'm not a big Ron Simmons fan, but this is one of my favorite WCW moments.

As black guy who is a huge fan of the underdog, I wish I would have seen that as a kid. My first experience to Ron Simmons as Faarooq Asad the gladiator (still thought he was cool back then, but that title win was something bigger than a He-Man action figure gimmick). Oddest part is I saw WCW back then when it was syndicated, I remember seeing Vader, Flair, Hogan Pillman, Harlem Heat etc. but not Simmons.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:55 pm

BackLash wrote:
Mike wrote:This will be 23 years on Sunday. Go to about 9 minutes in for the closing stretch. One of the biggest pops you ever heard. JR is so great in this. I'm not a big Ron Simmons fan, but this is one of my favorite WCW moments.

As black guy who is a huge fan of the underdog, I wish I would have seen that as a kid. My first experience to Ron Simmons as Faarooq Asad the gladiator (still thought he was cool back then, but that title win was something bigger than a He-Man action figure gimmick). Oddest part is I saw WCW back then when it was syndicated, I remember seeing Vader, Flair, Hogan Pillman, Harlem Heat etc. but not Simmons.
Yeah after he lost the title he dropped off pretty heavily. Not exactly sure why, but I know giving him the belt was purely a Bill Watts decision, so maybe Simmons' push left with Watts. But like you said, his 1993-4 is pretty non existent. I only remember him being on a couple major shows during that time. Too bad, he's always been one of my favorite power guys.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:59 am

Watching Hog Wild 96 now. I wish they added the Saturday Night before this because they did it live from the event. They would actually do the Main Event for the Sunday shows from the PPV itself - do remember Blue Bloods vs. Malenko/Benoit before Havoc 95 - and it was a fun live preshow. I know these old events are very very low on their priority list, but I'd love to have them on there.

Rey vs. "The Ultimate Dragon" is a real fun opener but they would have a MUCH better match later on in the year at World War Three. Rey does do a dive from the ring to the floor, and if you recall the ring was on a stage so there was only enough to cover the mats around the ring before there'd be a drop off.

What are the best Hog/Road Wild matches of that event's history? It's good and bad to say that Rodman/Savage is in the top three. 97 and 98 are pretty bad shows.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:48 am

Mike wrote:Watching Hog Wild 96 now. I wish they added the Saturday Night before this because they did it live from the event. They would actually do the Main Event for the Sunday shows from the PPV itself - do remember Blue Bloods vs. Malenko/Benoit before Havoc 95 - and it was a fun live preshow. I know these old events are very very low on their priority list, but I'd love to have them on there.

Rey vs. "The Ultimate Dragon" is a real fun opener but they would have a MUCH better match later on in the year at World War Three. Rey does do a dive from the ring to the floor, and if you recall the ring was on a stage so there was only enough to cover the mats around the ring before there'd be a drop off.

What are the best Hog/Road Wild matches of that event's history? It's good and bad to say that Rodman/Savage is in the top three. 97 and 98 are pretty bad shows.
Malenko vs Benoit is the best Hog/Road Wild match. It's also my favorite WCW match of all time. One of the few instances where the bad atmosphere adds to the match. It's outside during the day in what looks like a miserably hot South Dakota summer, and there's a bunch of stupid biker trash booing two of the best wrestlers in the world. It's surreal.

Flair vs Guerrero is another good one from that show. They had a match or so on Nitro before this but this is their best one. I remember it being kind of sloppy but still a cool match for posterity. From '97, I REALLY like Alex Wright, and Hennig vs DDP. After that... It's all downhill.

theres some crowd shots in Hog Wild where you can see giant SS bolts on people's shirts. Helps put that Steiners vs Harlem Heat match into context...