WCW Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Drew Wardlaw

WCW Thread

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:51 pm

I see there's already a thread for the 24/7 stream, but this is for all other WCW discussion, memories, posting matches, deep cuts, etc. I'd like to not focus on the novelty/ironic bad aspects as much as the good but that's just me. In other words, more The Natural, less __________ on a pole/forklift.

I've recently been re-watching a lot of 1994 stuff, which is actually a pretty great year in my opinion By the end of the year, Hogan was feuding with Brother Brutie for the world heavyweight title, Rude, Steamboat, and Austin were all injured, Pillman was gone, but there's still a lot of quality material there.

Here's a couple to get things rolling:

The aforementioned Natural Dustin Rhodes vs. Vader, Clash of the Champions XXIX:
http://network.wwe.com/video/v32354689

The Marquis of Queensbury Cup between Ric Flair and Lord Steven Regal (with Sir William Dundee). 5, 5 minute rounds, once per week on tv, contested under Marquis of Queensbury rules, which is basically British wrestling rules. Very cool to see Flair in this environment. Keep an eye out for Sgt. Craig "Pitbull" Pittman as one of the judges, and Jessie Ventura with an awesome burial of the United States Marine Corps. This is one of my favorite things from WCW and really doesn't get talked about enough. Really awesome and highly recommended matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OOmNDo_gjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McZLui20_hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxotJ-x1Gr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6SnG5rZvMo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x9C3ikuHS0

Mike

Re: WCW Thread

Post by Mike » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:59 pm

DUDE! Incredible. Was thinking of creating a thread myself just because I rewatched BATB '96 the other day and Rey/Psych was as spectacular now as it was for me then. I think when people think of WCW, sadly a lot focus or are mostly just aware of the bad when there's just so so so much good too. Nothing will be ECW but WCW holds a very special place in my heart as one of my favorite promotions. At least most of it. I'll be real, there was some total shit. But like you said, I'd rather focus on what I loved because there's so much of it.

The first half, pre-Hogan, of 94 is up there with 1992 as far as my fave WCW periods. But Dustin/Vader from Clash is phenomenal. Dustin taking down Vader to an enormous pop kicked it all off from there for a great hoss fight.

Spring Stampede '94 with Dustin/Buck in a Bunkhouse match and Vader/Boss may be my favorite pay-per-view ever. Can't say how much I love that show enough.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 pm

I would also recommend watching the first couple SuperBrawl VII, as a friend had told me to do recently.

Opener of Malenko/Syxx is really, really great stuff and obviously those guys are familiar with each other so they had a stiff match. Malenko was a total beast here and Waltman bumps like a madman.

Then there's a six-man luchadores match that is a total car crash mess that is really fun to watch how looney everyone gets. There's one spot with Ciclope I won't spoil that you have to watch.

Also a good Eddy/Jericho match too in there. Fun show to check out if you want something to watch on the Network.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm assuming the Flair/Regal deal was taped all at once, then aired over 5 weeks? I don't want to look it up, I had no idea this existed and want to watch unspoiled.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:I'm assuming the Flair/Regal deal was taped all at once, then aired over 5 weeks? I don't want to look it up, I had no idea this existed and want to watch unspoiled.
Yeah one set of Worldwide tapings I believe. Not positive but that's my understanding.

Edit: On closer inspection, yes, it was a February MGM taping.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:20 am

Mike wrote:I would also recommend watching the first couple SuperBrawl VII, as a friend had told me to do recently.

Opener of Malenko/Syxx is really, really great stuff and obviously those guys are familiar with each other so they had a stiff match. Malenko was a total beast here and Waltman bumps like a madman.

Then there's a six-man luchadores match that is a total car crash mess that is really fun to watch how looney everyone gets. There's one spot with Ciclope I won't spoil that you have to watch.

Also a good Eddy/Jericho match too in there. Fun show to check out if you want something to watch on the Network.
Superbrawl 7 is a great show. As per WCW standard, the undercard is awesome, and the main events are not, but this is an exception IMO because of the tag title match, which is an utter disaster, but Luger and the Giant win, which, if I remember correctly, was the Outsiders first defeat. Or am I forgetting a loss somewhere?

BATB 96 is a good one too, I LOVE the Dean Malenko/Disco Inferno match. Disco's best match.

And back to 1994, the Stud Stable vs. Dustin Rhodes feud is really good. The Bunk House match(es) and the tags throughout the summer, and the War Games match in the fall which is a good match. Not as good as the early ones, but it's a good one, with one of Dusty's more famous promos helping it quite a bit.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 pm

Great thread! I'm very slowly working through the WCW PPVs on the Network listening along to Where the Big Boys Play podcast, a 'cast I definitely recommend if you're looking for more WCW in your audio diet.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:59 pm

I'm a young guy (18) so I never really got to experience WCW. My uncle had a collection of Nitro's and PPV's so I started with that stuff back when I was 14. Now with the Network, I've been going through late 80's/early 90's stuff which I've really been enjoying.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:56 pm

That Marquis of Queensbury match is one of the reasons why up to his injury, Regal was one of the MVPs of the entire worldwide wrestling world in 1994. That match vs. Flair, the Arn classic from SuperBrawl IV, The AWESOME series vs. Larry with four matches that all feel different, and solid stuff vs. Johnny B Badd, Brian Pillman, etc.

Agree with Mike that up to Wargames, I put 1994 in ring right up there with 1992.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Adam D wrote:Great thread! I'm very slowly working through the WCW PPVs on the Network listening along to Where the Big Boys Play podcast, a 'cast I definitely recommend if you're looking for more WCW in your audio diet.

Thanks for the compliment Adam, hope to have WrestleWar 1992 out in the next week.

Larsosc

Post by Larsosc » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Same as Quentin here. 17 years old, was a WWF kid 'cause really there was no choice. When I was 13 or so and getting back into wrestling, I checked out almost all of Raven's WCW stuff entirely via random YouTube vids and it was incredible. Quickly realized that Raven was an incredible promo guy, and I really enjoyed how he could use one object to tell a story in-ring. Wasn't your regular hack-n-slash hardcore guy. I was already a fan of Raven from his WWF/WWE run, but WCW Raven was several leagues above. He's one of my favorite all-time guys now. Apart from his run, I liked watching Eddie, Rey, Benoit & Jericho tear it up in the middle of the card.

When the Network came out I decided to go back and start from late 95 since they had uploaded all the Nitros from then. I hated it, I hate copy-and-pasted WWF Hulk Hogan, Macho Man looked bored, Surfer Sting is just alright and I don't need Lex Luger in my life. Four Horsemen with Benoit & Pillman was cool, but not enough to want me to keep watching. Keep in mind that my scope of is quite small when it comes to WCW and I couldn't win a trivia even with google, but I tried it and I disliked the feel of the product. I guess if you didn't grow up watching guys like Sting, Luger and Hogan it's impossible to try and 'get' it with them. Not a big WCW guy, I couldn't tell you anything about the product, but from my perspective it was just way too goofy for me. Ric Flair was great, but he was feuding with Hogan for the duration of my little marathon. I don't like Hogan. Give me the good stuff that isn't from 98 and onwards, guys. I have a bad impression.

Also, the constant WWF burying was kind of uncomfortable, then funny in hindsight.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:01 pm

Watched some of Bash at the Beach '98 last night. Kidman/Juvi is a ridiculous match with some totally crazy head dropping spots. Only went like ten minutes and they have a real great series of matches in that time period too worth checking out. The Nitro match when Juvi won the title before WW3 I remember being bonkers live.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Adam D wrote:Great thread! I'm very slowly working through the WCW PPVs on the Network listening along to Where the Big Boys Play podcast, a 'cast I definitely recommend if you're looking for more WCW in your audio diet.
I'm going through them right now too. While I watched most of the PPVs from 98-mid 99, I haven't seen much from 89-98 so it's been a fun little project. Looking forward to 92 and early 94.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Larsosc wrote:Same as Quentin here. 17 years old, was a WWF kid 'cause really there was no choice. When I was 13 or so and getting back into wrestling, I checked out almost all of Raven's WCW stuff entirely via random YouTube vids and it was incredible. Quickly realized that Raven was an incredible promo guy, and I really enjoyed how he could use one object to tell a story in-ring. Wasn't your regular hack-n-slash hardcore guy. I was already a fan of Raven from his WWF/WWE run, but WCW Raven was several leagues above. He's one of my favorite all-time guys now. Apart from his run, I liked watching Eddie, Rey, Benoit & Jericho tear it up in the middle of the card.

When the Network came out I decided to go back and start from late 95 since they had uploaded all the Nitros from then. I hated it, I hate copy-and-pasted WWF Hulk Hogan, Macho Man looked bored, Surfer Sting is just alright and I don't need Lex Luger in my life. Four Horsemen with Benoit & Pillman was cool, but not enough to want me to keep watching. Keep in mind that my scope of is quite small when it comes to WCW and I couldn't win a trivia even with google, but I tried it and I disliked the feel of the product. I guess if you didn't grow up watching guys like Sting, Luger and Hogan it's impossible to try and 'get' it with them. Not a big WCW guy, I couldn't tell you anything about the product, but from my perspective it was just way too goofy for me. Ric Flair was great, but he was feuding with Hogan for the duration of my little marathon. I don't like Hogan. Give me the good stuff that isn't from 98 and onwards, guys. I have a bad impression.

Also, the constant WWF burying was kind of uncomfortable, then funny in hindsight.
The standard intro to WCW shows are GAB 89, Wrestlewar '92 (although I like '91 better) Beach Blast 92, Spring Stampede 94. There's so much more than that Obviously but that's a pretty good cross section.

I remember hearing WCW referred to as the "workers territory" and that's about the truest statement you can say about the promotion. The real gold is found in the undercard matches with the ring mechanics.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Drew Wardlaw wrote:
Larsosc wrote:Same as Quentin here. 17 years old, was a WWF kid 'cause really there was no choice. When I was 13 or so and getting back into wrestling, I checked out almost all of Raven's WCW stuff entirely via random YouTube vids and it was incredible. Quickly realized that Raven was an incredible promo guy, and I really enjoyed how he could use one object to tell a story in-ring. Wasn't your regular hack-n-slash hardcore guy. I was already a fan of Raven from his WWF/WWE run, but WCW Raven was several leagues above. He's one of my favorite all-time guys now. Apart from his run, I liked watching Eddie, Rey, Benoit & Jericho tear it up in the middle of the card.

The standard intro to WCW shows are GAB 89, Wrestlewar '92 (although I like '91 better) Beach Blast 92, Spring Stampede 94. There's so much more than that Obviously but that's a pretty good cross section.

I remember hearing WCW referred to as the "workers territory" and that's about the truest statement you can say about the promotion. The real gold is found in the undercard matches with the ring mechanics.
That's what I've noticed with the company when I watch, great workers in that early 90's undercard. I can barely get through old WWF shows but the WCW shows are a breeze for me.