WWE 2016 Cuts

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
User avatar
rovert
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 am

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by rovert » Fri May 06, 2016 6:46 pm

I thought more people knew that WWE doesn't fire people who are injured. Drop the Tyson and Itami talk. The last person who was injured and fired was Andrew "Test" Martin. He was fired as he refused to go to rehab.

User avatar
MillionDollarDream
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:52 am

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by MillionDollarDream » Fri May 06, 2016 6:59 pm

TBH " They seem to building up to the most reprehensible release." had me thinking they would do something like fire someone injured or something like that.

User avatar
RaptorMcFly
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:00 am

Re: RE: Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by RaptorMcFly » Fri May 06, 2016 7:03 pm

rovert wrote:I thought more people knew that WWE doesn't fire people who are injured. Drop the Tyson and Itami talk. The last person who was injured and fired was Andrew "Test" Martin. He was fired as he refused to go to rehab.
Could it be something like an injured gut requesting to part ways?

User avatar
mprentice84
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by mprentice84 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Uhaacrews wrote:So what's the reason for all these cuts? Anything besides having too many people on the main roster? Do they also need to do budget cutting? Is it also due to them likely continuing their signing spree? They haven't done anything like this in years. They seemed to settle down after Chris Masters and others were dropped with the only time in recent years being after the network started.
Quarterly numbers are next week. I'd wager that the cuts are an effort to offset a failure to meet expectations.

User avatar
mprentice84
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by mprentice84 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:13 pm

ayaashm wrote:Zeb Colter being released. I thought they could find a role for the guy. He awseome.
Dutch has an invaluable mind for the pro wrestling business, it's a real shame that there isn't a place for that in WWE.

User avatar
mprentice84
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by mprentice84 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:15 pm

suplexberry wrote:Sandow was the guy that Jeff on STR made me think of when he talked about lobbying for yourself, having an agent, saying "no" every once in a while and how that's something WWE doesn't want the guys to do but that's in many ways what you *need* to do to make yourself a commodity. Sandow was a model employee in every way, always did great in whatever role they wanted him to fill, great on the mic, decent in the ring, prime entertainer material, but he probably never said no, never protested, never politicked to get higher on the card, just took his shots and tried to make best of them. Total speculation but based on interviews that's the impression he gave me.
Nailed it. They want wrestlers to be model corporate "employees", but that's only going to get you so far. You have to be a snake in the grass to get anywhere, something that a lot of people aren't cut out for or willing to do.
Last edited by mprentice84 on Fri May 06, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JML
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 am
Contact:

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by JML » Fri May 06, 2016 7:26 pm

rovert wrote:I thought more people knew that WWE doesn't fire people who are injured. Drop the Tyson and Itami talk. The last person who was injured and fired was Andrew "Test" Martin. He was fired as he refused to go to rehab.
I thought Cal Bishop was rehabbing back when he got released.

User avatar
rovert
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 am

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by rovert » Fri May 06, 2016 7:32 pm

JML wrote:
rovert wrote:I thought more people knew that WWE doesn't fire people who are injured. Drop the Tyson and Itami talk. The last person who was injured and fired was Andrew "Test" Martin. He was fired as he refused to go to rehab.
I thought Cal Bishop was rehabbing back when he got released.
I see what you are saying but I was referring to the main roster not NXT.

User avatar
NutCrack
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by NutCrack » Fri May 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Sandow must be pissed off right now, dude delivered in every scenario he was put in, bar the cringe Macho Man role which he should have spoke up on and shot down. Even this Wrestlemania he got a nice reaction in the ring. A shame.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by mlev76 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Uhaacrews wrote:So what's the reason for all these cuts? Anything besides having too many people on the main roster? Do they also need to do budget cutting? Is it also due to them likely continuing their signing spree? They haven't done anything like this in years. They seemed to settle down after Chris Masters and others were dropped with the only time in recent years being after the network started.
Aside from Barrett on the main roster and Riley on NXT, none of them were on TV in any major way this year. There are still others that probably could have been cut for the same reason, but weren't.

The interesting thing to me is the people who were cut seem to be very much from the pre-NXT era. Not sure if that was a factor beyond the fact that they were all considered afterthoughts by the company.

User avatar
itsberlo
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 1:23 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by itsberlo » Fri May 06, 2016 8:50 pm

To think in this day and age that getting yourself over does't mean squat. I was under the impression that in entertainment getting crowd reactions and having others be invested in what you do was very valuable. Besides the Macho Man gimmick, which I don't remember at all, Sandow has gotten over with everything he has done since the change from Aaron Stevens to Damien Sandow. Hell to my knowledge when he was red hot I don't believe he had one piece of merchandise so he probably did not financially reap the benefits of what he was doing. At the end of the day, it was apparent that the company did not see value in a guy who the "customers' truly enjoyed. Godpeed Sandow. Godspeed.

User avatar
rovert
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 am

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by rovert » Fri May 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Glad Rose, Swagger and Summer were seemingly spared and the rumours about them came to nothing.
mlev76 wrote: The interesting thing to me is the people who were cut seem to be very much from the pre-NXT era. Not sure if that was a factor beyond the fact that they were all considered afterthoughts by the company.
Yeah made the point earlier in the thread that Triple H is the head of the talent relations talent and is bounded to the NXT talent.
itsberlo wrote:To think in this day and age that getting yourself over does't mean squat. I was under the impression that in entertainment getting crowd reactions and having others be invested in what you do was very valuable. Besides the Macho Man gimmick, which I don't remember at all, Sandow has gotten over with everything he has done since the change from Aaron Stevens to Damien Sandow. Hell to my knowledge when he was red hot I don't believe he had one piece of merchandise so he probably did not financially reap the benefits of what he was doing. At the end of the day, it was apparent that the company did not see value in a guy who the "customers' truly enjoyed. Godpeed Sandow. Godspeed.
I've seen a few people bring up the "getting yourself over doesn't mean squat" point this evening. This truth to it but you still have the likes of The New Day on screen who took initially really crap Creative and spun it into gold and have been strongly push for a good while now.

User avatar
rovert
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 am

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by rovert » Fri May 06, 2016 11:10 pm


User avatar
ODonnell
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:48 am

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by ODonnell » Fri May 06, 2016 11:43 pm

As long as that means "reinvent yourself and do great indie work" and not "go to TNA"





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
wac
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Re: WWE 2016 Cuts

Post by wac » Fri May 06, 2016 11:48 pm

JML wrote:Wasn't Barrett's contract up in the summer?

EDIT: Nevermind on Barrett's contract



They really missed the boat on Barrett. Part of it was injuries but also they didn't push him right once he got back healthy.

Do these guys still get paid for the rest of their contract or that's it?
He's in the same mold as Galloway, there was always more they could have done with him but for whatever reason they never got it together. I guess the difference is Barrett's got five years on Galloway and it's not clear if he really wants to get back into wrestling after this break.

Post Reply