Verne Gagne vs. Red Bastien (Chicago 1950s)

SammyJ_D

Verne Gagne vs. Red Bastien (Chicago 1950s)

Post by SammyJ_D » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Discuss here

Rah

Re: Verne Gagne vs. Red Bastien (Chicago 1950s)

Post by Rah » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Red Bastien may be more known to some as Texas Red (no, not The Undertaker). Just to think, he used to be a small yet strapping man at one point.

Match takes place in the late 50s, and is an exhibition bout aimed to let an up-and-comer, fresh out of training, get a chance at the big leagues. Of course, as wrestling narratives go, Bastien is clearly no rookie to be taken lightly and gives Gagne a good run for his money, at points, and embarrassing him at others (that headscissor reversal to the outside hurt more than his pride, though!). Even as short as the match is, the beginning portion feels like a slow-burn before things rush out the gates. It's still methodical in its approach, if nothing else. Small as this kid is, though, he's got a lot of pep in his fight when things do get nasty. Despite its black and white colouring, the image of Bastien, covered in blood, clawing his way out of each hold is majestic, and electrifies the crowd behind him.

This match won't place for me, but it's a really good match and a definite recommendation to anyone reading, as well as another pointer in a Gagne primer. It's almost a shame Chicago Archive haven't uploaded anything since, as there's a trove of forgotten gems to be found. Not least of which is a forgotten high-tier talent in Hans Schmidt and little scraps like this.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:45 pm

Real good match that won't make my list. It's a tad too short and missing that extra something. But, the dynamic of Verne as the super athlete attempting to hold down and contain the energetic Bastien sure is something to watch.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:21 pm

This match is going to make my list. I mean I did nominate it after all. It probably won't place anywhere near the top.

One of the main reasons for nominating it was to put this one more out there. I think this is a match that should be seen by more people, because it laid the ground work for a lot of stuff that came later.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

jasonnorin

Post by jasonnorin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:56 am

Classic clip! Ain't nothing like spending an afternoon watching the pioneers of pro wrestling square off!