Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat (WWF 03/29/87)

BillThompson

Re: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat (WWF 03/29/87)

Post by BillThompson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:33 pm

I forget, what's the cut off here? Our top 100, 50, something else?

Either way, wouldn't make my top 100 of all time. I love a lot about this match, but then the final few minutes happen, Animal gets involved, and I feel cheated.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:25 am

BillThompson wrote:I forget, what's the cut off here? Our top 100, 50, something else?

Either way, wouldn't make my top 100 of all time. I love a lot about this match, but then the final few minutes happen, Animal gets involved, and I feel cheated.
Same. Once George Steele gets involved, the match goes from all time great to really good & really fun.

Its reputation is also helped by just about everything else in WWF from this period being pretty bad, aside from some hot house show tag matches and stuff with Randy, Tito, etc.

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:28 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
BillThompson wrote:I forget, what's the cut off here? Our top 100, 50, something else?

Same. Once George Steele gets involved, the match goes from all time great to really good & really fun.

Its reputation is also helped by just about everything else in WWF from this period being pretty bad, aside from some hot house show tag matches and stuff with Randy, Tito, etc.
While I sorta *get* Steele being there as a payoff to the feud with Savage (how long did that thing go, really a whole year?), it really took away from the ending. The work itself is fantastic, but thinking about in the context of what a blood feud this should have been giving all the throat crushing, the hate never truly came across for me. It also feels really short and was almost leading to a bigger rematch. Could be completely off, or really really nitpicking.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:26 pm

I've probably watched this match more than any other match in the 30+ years I've been a wrestling fan. And while the specialness of it has certainly dissipated, I'd still say it's a great match. As someone said earlier in this thread, this was unique to 80s WWF even if today it feels like something you could easily see on Raw (not every week, but the better Raw matches have similar flows to them).

I generally hate Steele and found his match with Savage at Mania 2 to be possibly Savage's worst big match ever, but here, his involvement works. He had been in a mutually antagonistic feud with Savage for a long time and when Savage was looking to re-injure Steamboat, he stopped him. In many ways, it wasn't Steele who was Savage's downfall, but Savage himself for trying to use the bell again.

I have a bigger problem with the visual pin, but I imagine that was meant to set up the rematch that never came because of Steamboat's departure, Savage's turn and the eventual shift of Savage from IC title to World title.

Overall, the context of everything leading up to the match helps it tremendously and the whole Savage/Steamboat program remains an all time favorite of mine.