Masakatsu Funaki vs. Tatsuo Nakano (UWF 07/27/89)

Rah

Re: Masakatsu Funaki vs. Tatsuo Nakano (UWF 07/27/89)

Post by Rah » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Full disclosure, while I may be fan of the technical intricacies Fujiwara et al bring, my heart belongs more to the violent spectacle of shoot-style. Funaki may not be a slam-dunk wrestler in the environ (I can see argument that he relies too much on levering a match into his comfort zones), but he's every bit of wrestler that I want to watch. He'll tar the bajeezus out of his opponents, and bend right in to every slew of offence they have, too. There's just so much fire behind his work, and an intensity to deliver the emotion required. Gifs of Frye/Takayama have circulated across social media for years, yet Funaki's body of work is every bit as deserving in satiating the sadistic side of human nature.

He steps into his bout against Nakano 0-4. He's been impressive, but he's never gotten the job done, and that's what reflects on his stat sheet. Here he's going to do everything short of killing himself to win. He comes out the gate firing and almost breaks Nakano's nose in the opening minute. A doctor that bares a striking resemblance to Ted Dibiase tries to patch things up but Nak's pissed and wants to fight on. What follows is near 10 minutes of exquisitely harrowing violence. Remember how I said Funaki would do anything short of killing himself to win? I lied. He spikes his head delivering an Alabama Slam and it's All She Wrote for Nakano. Probably just short of Vader/Tamura as my favourite UWF match ever.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Re: Masakatsu Funaki vs. Tatsuo Nakano (UWF 07/27/89)

Post by InYourCase » Sun May 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Will be on my list no matter what. A perfect match for what they were going for. Something that has never been duplicated to a close extent. I don't remember what I gave this match in terms of STARZ, but that's irrelevant because when I think of 100 great matches, this comes to mind.