Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Genichiro Tenryu (AJPW 06/05/89)

BillThompson

Re: Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Genichiro Tenryu (AJPW 06/05/89)

Post by BillThompson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:58 pm

A no from me. Jumbo had this bad habit of relying on lazy Headlocks, and in this match he used the lazy Headlock routine time and time again. This sucked all the momentum out of the match and made the match a real drag to get through.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am

Watched this 24 hours ago to continue my run of 1980's All Japan (which has been LOVELY) and this match holds up as being *****. As odd as it sounds, this is probably my weakest ***** match. I actually had to think about the rating for this, which I rarely have to do with matches I've given the full five to, but I had to after sitting on it for a few minutes. One thing I loved about this was the different pinning combinations Jumbo used throughout the match. It's something minor, but I get really sick of seeing the basic "hook of the leg". Jumbo did a ton of things that made the match and the Triple Crown feel super, super important. Tenryu, playing the young athletic cat, was also pretty great.

VicVenomBytes927

Post by VicVenomBytes927 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:27 am

80's AJPW feels vastly overlooked. This era of AJPW is tremendous and this match is the crown jewel of great matches from 80's AJPW.