MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (EMLL 9/23/83)

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Discuss here

JML

Post by JML » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:03 pm

I might have a better link for this match that's in better quality and it's not broken into three parts. I'll update the thread once I find it.

Now onto this match. I'll be honest with everyone, it took me about 3 times to watch this match to truly get through this but once you get through this, you'll get it. I've seen it heralded as one of the greatest matches ever, not just in Lucha, not just the 80's but greatest ever.

So when I watched it for the first time, I wasn't blown away by it. It's very minimalist in nature and tells a simple story of MS-1 trying to beat the living shit of Sangre Chicana but it didn't connect to me at first.

But once I started watching more Lucha and got used to the 2 out of 3 falls concept, it clicked. Just seeing MS-1 beating Chicana in front of his mother is site to behold and when the tide turns, the wave hits you like a left hook to the dome. I still remember MS-1's missed swanton to set up the finish and the pain he was in.

The only problems I have with the match are minor things such as the announcing. Even though my Spanish is limited, the announcing felt calm and subdued for a heated apuestas match. I don't who the other guy was on commentary that spoke during the 2nd fall but he felt way more excited for this match and Chicana's comeback. The other thing is seeing MS-1 blade on the floor kinda took the magic out of the match but his blade job made it up for it. It's up there with Muta, Eddie, Austin and Hokuto in terms of blood loss in a non death match capacity.

It's a good brawl and it will probably be on my ballot but I don't know how high it will go though.

GOTNW

Re: MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (EMLL 9/23/83)

Post by GOTNW » Sun May 15, 2016 12:59 am

I watched this for the first time when I saw Schneider talk about it as the greatest match ever. I don't remember how deep into lucha viewing I was. I thought it was an excellent match and had it at ****3/4.

BUT. Then I rewatched it. And. Oh boy.

There's just this awesome feeling of gritiness to it. MS-1 jumps Chicana at the bell and just punches the shit out of him. Chicana's comeback is awesome. In particular here there is a counter punch (which you'll pretty much never see in lucha-which makes it that much more special) that just comes out of nowhere and is peak wrestling. There is nothing in wrestling quite like Sangre Chicana punching MS-1's face a bunch and then diving into the first row, not because he is some gracious high-flyer or whatever, but because he is a lunatic just throwing himself to try and win. Dramatic shots of Chicana's mother nervously smoking and observing the match. There are moments in the tercera that just transcend wrestling, when they're both just throwing themselves into pins as soon as they kick-out from a move. It's not no-selling. It's not MMA-esque selling. It's indescribable. It's the type of thing that makes you see why some lucha fans thought apuestas matches were shoots. Because the intent is to replicate a brawl behind a bar where both guys are just completely wasted and out of it. Chicana punching MS-1 after the match for the hell of it is just some of the best stuff in pro wrestling ever. Feels like a safe pick for my top ten and a strong contender for best lucha match of all time.