King of Pro-Wrestling, EVOLVE/WWE, NOAH's Savior & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
BillThompson

Re: King of Pro-Wrestling, EVOLVE/WWE, NOAH's Savior & more!

Post by BillThompson » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:49 am

dj22319 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
dj22319 wrote:Damn Joe, you gotta get on that BOLA 2015. My ****+ total is around ten so far, and I'm half way through Night 3.
Seriously though, what an insane tournament and more than anything a fun time. The wrestlers are having a blast, the crowd is loving it and the commentators have a fun time as well. I can't imagine watching these shows and not spending half the time smiling from ear to ear.
Someone on the PWG thread posed the question, but was this the greatest single elimination tournament in the history of pro wrestling in terms of match quality? My only comparison is Super J Cup 1994, and Meltzer called that tournament the single greatest night in pro wrestling ever. This was a FRICKEN WEEKEND of consistently good to great matches.
I'm waiting until I see the SCI from this year, sounds like it could give BoLA a run for its money.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:28 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
dj22319 wrote:Damn Joe, you gotta get on that BOLA 2015. My ****+ total is around ten so far, and I'm half way through Night 3.
Seriously though, what an insane tournament and more than anything a fun time. The wrestlers are having a blast, the crowd is loving it and the commentators have a fun time as well. I can't imagine watching these shows and not spending half the time smiling from ear to ear.
But is everybody having fun the right way?

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:12 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
But is everybody having fun the right way?
If that crowd was miked half as good as the NXT crowd Bix and others might go postal.

a bunch of comedians (there are a lot in the crowd) shouting jokes, etc. The number of "Karate Kid/Reseda" jokes with Speedball Bailey alone...

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:45 pm

I'd agree with what you guys said about Styles & Ibushi. I think there's a lot more options for Ibushi, but as for Styles, I really don't see any other options for Styles at the Tokyo Dome other than challenging Nakamura. Based on there brief interactions in tags over the past few months, Styles vs. Sakuraba could be an interesting singles match, but I don't see that as being the right match for Styles at the Tokyo Dome (plus, like you said, we have no idea what might happen when Sakuraba has that fight a few days before).

As far as the World Tag League goes, The Briscoes could be a good choice, if they're in it. I can't see The Addiction winning (although it would be cool if they did). Tenzan & Kojima could win, but they just lost to Anderson & Gallows. If they end up doing a Ishii/Elgin NEVER Title Match at the Tokyo Dome, then maybe Makabe & Honma could win and get the shot at Anderson & Gallows. That would open up Ibushi, Goto & Shibata to do something with Naito's stable (possibly a Six-Man Tag) at the Tokyo Dome.

izzac99

Post by izzac99 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Who was the guy from EVOLVE that doesn't want to go to WWE?

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:53 pm

izzac99 wrote:Who was the guy from EVOLVE that doesn't want to go to WWE?
There's actually more than one. As I've always said if Bill Thompson will reply to me I'll spill the beans. I don't want to make myself a liar.

JML

King of Pro-Wrestling, EVOLVE/WWE, NOAH's Savior & more!

Post by JML » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:38 pm

I thought the show was good and I have to agree on the Matt Striker and Kevin Kelly commentary being good. They had the old school NWA two serious guys commentary thing going.

I know a lot of people don't like Kevin Kelly but I always thought he was decent and I thought he did well with Striker cause he doesn't have real chemistry like he does with Corino. I say that cause you can tell that him and Corino are good friends in real life cause they tend to get comfortable and silly on commentary during ROH shows where as when Kelly is calling a match with a Matt Striker or a Caprice Coleman, he gets much better.

VicVenomBytes927

Post by VicVenomBytes927 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:48 pm

Listened to the fan chant part and I think I agree with both you and Bix.

I look at these chants as the business be overly exposed. In the 70's, 80's and to some extent 90's emotional investment was built off protected gimmicks, angles, stories. You cheered the good guy, booed the bad guy etc

Since everything is so exposed emotional investment is voicing your displeasure when something is presented that you don't like and you know that you have the ability to vocally shit on it or vocally encourage something like "hey push this guy we like him".

I find it a bit distracting and cheesy at times but also understand that this is the state of wrestling. The people buying tickets to the shows are mostly smart to the business and arguably closer to a hardcore fan of wrestling than what is considered a "casual" fan or however you want to blanket that group of fans that would watch on tv and go to a show if it's in town because it's a hot ticket item.

ThomasOP

Post by ThomasOP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:23 am

The timing on the crowd talk in this was perfect. I just read something earlier about people complaining about crowds. It was 1988, a fan letter to Metlzer, and his response. Spoilered because of length.
► Show Spoiler

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:24 pm

Great show as usual fellas. I'm sure the technology issues are frustrating, but the content is still stellar. I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but the flagship VOW is the only podcast in my rotation that is a must-listen every time. Everything else in my feed depends on available time & whether the episode description grabs my interest.

Also, real life is increasingly getting in the way of my wrestling watching, so I'm having to be more & more selective about what I follow. Which leads me to a point that was made on the podcast - of all the promotions with any buzz right now, I think I'm zeroing in on ROH due to all of the connections they're making with the booking on ROH shows. My thought is that I'll focus on catching up with the weekly ROH TVs and then catch some of the matches they're leading to in NOAH & NJPW.

Keep up the great work!

Splash

Post by Splash » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:02 pm

Suzuki and Sugiura were indeed two men pounding on each other.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:55 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:Great show as usual fellas. I'm sure the technology issues are frustrating, but the content is still stellar. I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but the flagship VOW is the only podcast in my rotation that is a must-listen every time. Everything else in my feed depends on available time & whether the episode description grabs my interest.

Also, real life is increasingly getting in the way of my wrestling watching, so I'm having to be more & more selective about what I follow. Which leads me to a point that was made on the podcast - of all the promotions with any buzz right now, I think I'm zeroing in on ROH due to all of the connections they're making with the booking on ROH shows. My thought is that I'll focus on catching up with the weekly ROH TVs and then catch some of the matches they're leading to in NOAH & NJPW.

Keep up the great work!
Appreciate this, thank you.

I know I've said this a thousand times before, but I feel like this was the worst piece of shit we ever crapped out, mostly due to me be a stuttering idiot and failing to put cohesive thoughts together. The tech issues that Rich does an incredible job of hiding which you never hear probably contribute to that, because in my brain they are still in the show. Then i'm waiting for the next connection issue, and that's what ends up consuming my thoughts instead of focusing on the show itself.

Anyway, I have a guest spot coming up on another show this week, and i'm *hopefully" getting the tech issues sorted out on Tuesday once and for all. I apologize to Rich and to everybody else for the issues. Unfortunately I live in Nowhere, Texas.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Anyway, I have a guest spot coming up on another show this week, and i'm *hopefully" getting the tech issues sorted out on Tuesday once and for all. I apologize to Rich and to everybody else for the issues. Unfortunately I live in Nowhere, Texas.
How close is "Nowhere" to west Texas? My parents met during school in Abilene and I almost ended up going there myself - dodged a bullet on that one I think. I remember the drive from DFW being a 2-hour journey through some of the most uninteresting landscape I've ever seen.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:35 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:Anyway, I have a guest spot coming up on another show this week, and i'm *hopefully" getting the tech issues sorted out on Tuesday once and for all. I apologize to Rich and to everybody else for the issues. Unfortunately I live in Nowhere, Texas.
How close is "Nowhere" to west Texas? My parents met during school in Abilene and I almost ended up going there myself - dodged a bullet on that one I think. I remember the drive from DFW being a 2-hour journey through some of the most uninteresting landscape I've ever seen.
College Station (home of Texas A&M), so not really "Nowhere", because the BCS area has around 200,000 people when school is in, but I live on the outskirts. Technically I live on land in a tiny town called Wellborn, but I have a College Station zip code because College Station annexed the land for tax purposes when they started building housing out here. As a result of all of the legal fights going on, I have two water bills, two garbage bills, etc until everything gets sorted out. It's a mess.

Houston & College Station keep expanding towards each other, and I was talking to one of the civic leaders here who was telling me that within 100 years they fully expect Houston & College Station to eventually morph into one enormous metropolis.

ligerxbomb

Post by ligerxbomb » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:30 pm

Loved the "adapt or die" application Joe brought up. Hot crowds add to a show for sure. With that said I also agree that some chants are down right disrespectful. The "You fucked up" chant being at the top of the list for me.