VOW Flagship: VOW vs Impact, Wednesday Night Wars, Bouncin' x2

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: VOW Flagship: VOW vs Impact, Wednesday Night Wars, Bouncin' x2

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:14 am

CMLL, AAA, DDT, Dragon Gate undoubtedly bigger. wXw, PROGRESS, RevPro close. Impact is about the same as NOAH, AJPW in terms of what they draw for big shows, TV situations are probably about equally dire. You cam maybe get them to magic 19 by opening up a worldwide discussion. I havent kept up with Puerto Rico business but I wouldnt be shocked at all if they are doing better than Impact.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Since Blizzard asked about STARDOM I would almost certainly put them above Impact too. The promotions top out around the same level as far as live attendance goes, but then you have to consider that STARDOM runs WAY more shows. Between that, the more idol-ish aspects of their business (selling meet & greet tickets after shows and photobooks, etc.) and the fact that I would suspect they have comparable streaming service numbers too, I don't see how you wouldn't put STARDOM ahead.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:34 am

Need a MUSIC OF THE MAT episode where Joe Lanza sings the hits.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:54 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:34 am
Need a MUSIC OF THE MAT episode where Joe Lanza sings the hits.
Maybe an all VOW staff edition including the legendary rendition of Bayley's them by Jeff Hawkins.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:59 pm
If I were to rank out the US/Canada promotions based strictly on business, i'd have WWE, AEW, ROH, NJPW ahead of Impact for sure. Those are easy and i'd think most everyone would agree.

If you factor in relevance/buzz etc, GCW is ahead of them. We could debate MLW, EVOLVE, maybe a couple of others. GCW draws better crowds, but no TV (despite how meaningless the Pursuit exposure is, it's something), no streaming service, etc. Impact tops out on paid audience (for PPV) higher than MLW or EVOLVE, but both of those places do fill the buildings they run these days. I'd say EVOLVE is more relevant to the overall scene, as the primary WWE feeder, the WWE connection, etc. But I wouldnt die on that hill.

Combine it all, and you really cant realistically slot Impact any lower than 8th, and they'd come in higher than that with me. They'd be nowhere close to 19th.
Does Impact make any money? Serious question...maybe Garrett can chime in.

These secret mysterious overseas TV deals they supposedly have are the only tangible revenue stream they have to have. I can not imagine they make a single dime on any of their American tapings. Do they still not charge for tickets? The overhead on talent and production have to eat up any profits they make stateside.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:53 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:08 pm
- "...because otherwise this show would run nine hours [next week]"...you guys are...still saying that like...it's a bad thing. I pay you $30 each to do just that next time. Deal?
That's not enough for me to quit my job, so, sorry. You'll need to pony up a lot more cash to get a 9 hour show out of me this week.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:39 am

I mean, Joe basically does something around those numbers between the flagship and Patreon specials.