VOW Flagship: Kobe World 2019, WWE vs. AEW & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Kobe World 2019, WWE vs. AEW & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:34 pm

This week on the VOW Flagship we talk several topics across the world of wrestling including a comprehensive review of Dragon Gate's Kobe World 2019 show, news and notes about Impact Wrestling's deal with Twitch, ROH/NWA splitting ways, AEW's official time-slot on TNT, Vince McMahon's counterpunch to AEW during WWE's Q2 financial report and finally a check-in on NJPW's G1 Climax 29.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7326349-vow ... w-more.mp3

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Re: VOW Flagship: Kobe World 2019, WWE vs. AEW & more!

Post by InYourCase » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:29 pm

All this Dragon Gate talk... *chefs kiss*

At some point Joe said there was no way that Keisuke Okuda would ever move up the card. I don't know if that's true. He's shoot best friends with Ben-K and is the nephew of Ultimo Dragon, so if any faux-MMA guy is going to get pushed in Dragon Gate, it's going to be him. I hope he does get pushed. He's been incredible. Highly recommend his singles match vs. Mochizuki on 7/4 if you haven't seen it.

Great show as always.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:11 pm

We used a new recording method so sound quality critiques are welcomed

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:12 pm

The "Jordan" in the WrestleCircus email is Jordan Len-X, brother of Al. I remembered later.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:19 pm

As someone who just moved away from the DC area after living there for 6 years, I think AEW will do just fine having the first TV date in Capital One Arena.

There's 6 million people in the metro area (one of the reasons I moved away!). The Caps fill up the arena in the middle of week on the regular, so I'd venture there's enough wrestling fans in the region alone to get 10K in the building on a Wednesday.

Not to mention, DC is the southern terminus of Amtrak's Northeast Corridor line, so it's an easy ride for Baltimore-Philly-NYC folks. Hell, you can leave NYC at 3:30 pm on the Northeast Regional and get to Union Station in DC by 7. From there it's two metro stops, or a 10 minute taxi to the building.

Murcatto

Post by Murcatto » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:25 pm

The Ospreay streak might be even longer, I think Joe forgot about his MSG match with Cobb

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:02 pm

One discussion point during the Kobe review, you guys didn't being up at all I don't think, so I meant to ask: what did you guys think of Ishida's performance in the semi-final?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:30 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:02 pm
One discussion point during the Kobe review, you guys didn't being up at all I don't think, so I meant to ask: what did you guys think of Ishida's performance in the semi-final?
I thought he looked good, but it was hard to stand out in a match like that, especially since he wasnt the focus. Eita to me was the straw that stirred the drink in that one.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:36 pm

I really hoped Will could elevate the Fale match to at least a gentlemen's 3, but no such luck. So far, Archer has gotten the best quality match out of him which tells you something about how New Japan books Fale's opponents when they are smaller in stature than him.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:32 pm

There's so much I can say about the Circus stuff but honestly why bother at this point. I mean anyone with half a brain who knew what was going on had to know the writing on the wall. There was only one way it was gonna end. They were always drawing sellouts as you guys noted & their tickets were not cheap. If you're losing money while doing that (and they were) clearly the problem is self-evident and at no point did they attempt to correct it.

The major red flag for me way back when was hearing the stories about how easy guys/girls would get their boyfriends/girlfriends booked. All they had to do was ask, no negotiation, instant booking at full rate instead of couples discount. I'm pretty sure it started with one couple and then if you let one person get away with it, wrestlers talk & it became a runaway train.

The one thing this situation definitely magnified is how much this is a "what have you done for me lately?" business. I'm not defending Circus at all but I found it humorous reading some of the people taking them to task for how unprofessionally this weekend was handled while not at all acknowledging what led up to all this and how they benefitted. I don't want to throw people under the bus but since Tessa hates me anyways I may as well go ahead, right? Do you think Tessa, while getting fucked over on her travel this weekend, ever once stopped to think how perhaps it's just karma coming full circle after she got her boyfriend booked full price on the previous show? Or how many times Circus paid her full fee + treated her to all the perks you mentioned? If you sat down and did the math I would wager some folks who got fucked over this weekend came out way ahead $-wise in their history with Circus.

I disagree that Circus is done for good. If they come back one day and are still offering to pay full price, everyone and their signifcant other will be offering to work. They will just be a little more careful and demand proof of flights purchased before locking in the date.

Hopefully the Chicago branch of WrestleCircus doesn't suffer the same fate although it's heading down the same path.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Indy promoters are the easiest punching bag bc they have no constituency online. It seems wrestlecircus was awesome bc it was run like a charity and provided fans and wrestlers with a bunch of good times and money. "well run" promotions typically mean labor is getting the short end of the stick. Rob, you're Canadian, can wrestling get some of that art grant money a la Arcade Fire in Canada?

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:42 am

RobViper13 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:32 pm
There's so much I can say about the Circus stuff but honestly why bother at this point. I mean anyone with half a brain who knew what was going on had to know the writing on the wall. There was only one way it was gonna end. They were always drawing sellouts as you guys noted & their tickets were not cheap. If you're losing money while doing that (and they were) clearly the problem is self-evident and at no point did they attempt to correct it.

The major red flag for me way back when was hearing the stories about how easy guys/girls would get their boyfriends/girlfriends booked. All they had to do was ask, no negotiation, instant booking at full rate instead of couples discount. I'm pretty sure it started with one couple and then if you let one person get away with it, wrestlers talk & it became a runaway train.

The one thing this situation definitely magnified is how much this is a "what have you done for me lately?" business. I'm not defending Circus at all but I found it humorous reading some of the people taking them to task for how unprofessionally this weekend was handled while not at all acknowledging what led up to all this and how they benefitted. I don't want to throw people under the bus but since Tessa hates me anyways I may as well go ahead, right? Do you think Tessa, while getting fucked over on her travel this weekend, ever once stopped to think how perhaps it's just karma coming full circle after she got her boyfriend booked full price on the previous show? Or how many times Circus paid her full fee + treated her to all the perks you mentioned? If you sat down and did the math I would wager some folks who got fucked over this weekend came out way ahead $-wise in their history with Circus.

I disagree that Circus is done for good. If they come back one day and are still offering to pay full price, everyone and their signifcant other will be offering to work. They will just be a little more careful and demand proof of flights purchased before locking in the date.

Hopefully the Chicago branch of WrestleCircus doesn't suffer the same fate although it's heading down the same path.
Excellent point I don't think was made elsewhere. I never got into WC on the basis of geography and distance, but it sounds like the deals people got were the best anyone had since TNA was snatching up anybody that was ex-WWE.

And just like with TNA, it wasn't sustainable.