VOW Flagship: Fyter Fest, G1 Climax Preview, ROH BITW & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Fyter Fest, G1 Climax Preview, ROH BITW & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:51 am

This week on the VOW Flagship we talk AEW Fyter Fest, THE CHAIRSHOT, what's next from AEW & more! We also delve into ROH Best in the World 2019, NJPW's Southern Showdown and preview the upcoming G1 Climax show in Dallas.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7307222-vow ... w-more.mp3

andrewrich
VOW Staff Member

Re: VOW Flagship: Fyter Fest, G1 Climax Preview, ROH BITW & more!

Post by andrewrich » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:49 am

Joe's Eli Drake impression is Alec Baldwin roleplaying as Tracy Morgan's dad on 30 Rock.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Cannot believe you guys became the Bladejobs and Chairshots podcast. You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain.

No, but seriously, I think the creative direction tensions in AEW is so interesting and I love that you guys touched on that. I think it won't be perfect simply one, nothing is, but also because with so many influences and ideas in the room, there will be some rough spots and times where one creative vision wins out where one should. There is the old school influence, which is I believe Cody's thinking, the sports mindset coming from Tony to an extent, the desire to explore all the various creative avenues of wrestling (Kenny strongly believes a comedy match can be just as good as a main event epic because he's done great in both types of wrestling), the focus on tag teams, etc etc, I don't know. It's gonna lead to the weirdness of the Librarian, along matches that feel like prime PWG and stuff that feels like classic territory wrestling with a modern twist.

I'm gonna get back to listening to this pod tomorrow, just wanted to jump in on the initial 45mins or so.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:16 pm

As annoying as the ROH "defeatist" booking direction is, I actually don't blame the brass there too much for adopting it:
- as long as they're tethered to Sinclaire, even if they bounce back from this dark cloud hanging over them, they still won't have too much room to grow much further than they did pre-Bullet Club
- should all the rumors of NJPW talent not wanting to work their shows be true, ROH is stuck knowing that, even if this working relationship continues, they're all but guaranteed to get a fairly unmotivated guest troupe to help prop/spice up their shows. Who knows when this starts really affecting the relationship and we get fewer and fewer NJPW guests coming in?
- they have to know that, barring some catastrophic PR stuff happening, AEW will manage to step into the limelight and leave ROH cowering in its shadow at every turn, at least for the remainder of this year, no matter what ROH does to counter it, never mind what news WWE makes as the new TV deal leads to a new era of their TV product beginning

It's a bad attitude to have at this point...but as long as they continue to believe they're still a "major" U.S. promotion, is it all that surprising?

Side note: I'm glad "Back from Vacation" has finally had his chickens come home to roost...you've certainly earned not making this show, sir.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:41 am

Sorry pals...cashed in the Nets take and I've now won.

Celtics blew the Nets trade. All those picks and they get...Jayson Tatum. cool.

The lesson to be learned here, brothers...when the takes hit, they hit...and they don't always reveal themselves right away. Put that take in the cellar and let it age to perfection.

Cashed out with my W.

Any issues...take it up with Bill Simmons.