VOW Flagship: Bischoff/Heyman, Fyter Fest, Stomping Grounds & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Bischoff/Heyman, Fyter Fest, Stomping Grounds & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 pm

A wild week in pro wrestling as we lead the show off with the appointment of Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman as Executive Directors of SmackDown and RAW respectively, our reaction to the new positions, what it means for WWE and what power each may hold. Additional topics on the show include an extensive review of WWE Stomping Grounds including Joe's Worst Match of the Year, Seth Rollins being a dork on Twitter, a comparison of cage matches from this week in WWE, a preview of NJPW's upcoming Southern Showdown shows in Australia and controversy between EVOLVE's 10th Anniversary Show and AEW's Fight for the Fallen. 

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7302381-vow ... s-more.mp3

steve

Re: VOW Flagship: Bischoff/Heyman, Fyter Fest, Stomping Grounds & more!

Post by steve » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:23 pm

I liked the “investor POV” on the appointments. The last quarter call was excuses, now it’s time to show action. It’ll probably give them 2 investor calls, but if the questions are being asked they won’t go away forever unless WWE finds a way to turn round the metrics on their paying customers (Network, tickets, etc).

I think it was in the “excuses” call when WWE were asked how long to create a star. They obfuscated some response. But that seems IMO the root cause, there is no big star (possibly with the exception of part time Brock). Both Heyman and Bischoff have found stars in the past and I wonder if this is their priority. FWIW I think you could do a “Goldberg” with Walter. Hell, he’s not my cup of tea but I wonder if a hot-shotted Whoop-Whoop Scurll would be someone the WWE Universe would get behind.

So we might see changes to the brand etc, but my feel of if they are working out is “do we see the potential for a new star coming from Summerslam” time?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:40 pm

I guess I was the one person who actually looked forward to-and liked-Drew/Roman. The work they did the Monday prior was what made me want to see it and I thought they delivered.

Bischoff coming in is certainly perplexing beyond perhaps the idea that he's worked with national television before and would be a good advocate for the show. Creatively, I always thought he was not as tied into the things that truly worked in WCW as others he employed. All I know of his current knowledge of the product is he thinks WWE is too "slick" these days. What that means is anyone's guess.

PrivateRadio87

Post by PrivateRadio87 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Listening to the Overrun right now and I’m practically screaming along to the “I WANT TO LIKE YOU ROH” rant. They have one of my favorite talent rosters in wrestling and I’m constantly shocked at how they manage to take a shit every time things are getting good. It’s almost MORE impressive.
Twitter: @FatmansAlright
Grappl: @PrivateRadio87
More thoughts on an often thoughtless medium: Writing Spirit Unleashed

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:24 pm

Lacey Evans is just another PC baby that was called up way too early. She was just starting to come around in NXT. Started looking something like functional bell-to-bell. Clearly didn't have any direction on TV and was getting passed up, but was getting visually better in the limited TV matches she was in.

Then, she gets called up...Vince clearly likes her and puts the rocket pack on her without any build up. She was just walking out to her music and going into the back for months...then she's in a main event program with Becky. Poor nurturing of a woman that has some talent...perhaps not bell-to-bell...but she'd be an incredible manager. I'd eat up Lacey Evans as a female Colonel Robert Parker or southern Serina de la Renta with her series of southern henchman.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:00 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:24 pm
Lacey Evans is just another PC baby that was called up way too early. She was just starting to come around in NXT. Started looking something like functional bell-to-bell. Clearly didn't have any direction on TV and was getting passed up, but was getting visually better in the limited TV matches she was in.

Then, she gets called up...Vince clearly likes her and puts the rocket pack on her without any build up. She was just walking out to her music and going into the back for months...then she's in a main event program with Becky. Poor nurturing of a woman that has some talent...perhaps not bell-to-bell...but she'd be an incredible manager. I'd eat up Lacey Evans as a female Colonel Robert Parker or southern Serina de la Renta with her series of southern henchman.
This is where NXT is massively flawed. Someone like Lacey should be benefiting hugely from it yet they are rushed to the main roster whilst people like Gargano and Cole who shouldn't have even been there in the first place are there for 3+ years

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:03 am

I'm with Garrett Kidney on the "let the 90's die" sentiment, for all the reasons you guys laid out. There's also a huge demo of people who are fans now who weren't fans then, and looking back, don't even fathom what was so good about it, since so much of it has aged so poorly. If your "prime era" is one "you just had to be there to get it", then why try to bring any of that into the modern scene? Despite WWE's product being impenetrable and unfriendly to new viewers, somehow they have made new fans, and those fans don't necessarily care to see guys made in the mold of yesteryear's stars, they'd rather new wrestlers become their own sort of stars.

Seth's twitter spree was ridiculous. If he was being paid by the tweet, so be it, but there were so many other directions he could've taken that initial tweet to and he just kept digging.

I'm shocked and appalled that the purveyors of AEWMecca are slandering the booking of this nascent promotion!

But seriously, the "first round by" being the prize for winning ..two matches is dumb as damn hell. The card has me hype otherwise, though I would've prefered two singles matches in favor of the four-way. But I guess you'd want to save Hangman vs MJF and none of the combinations make much sense otherwise.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Really happy Rich stood up for Streets of Rage--I get the feeling that Joe was treating it merely as 'alright' because he was thinking solely about the original, while I suspect Rich was talking about the series as a whole.

With that said, Rich, how excited are you for SOR 4?

I'm really interested in seeing how other people rate those two Stomping Grounds main events as the rest of the year progresses and other horrible matches emerge; while there was no doubt both had flaws, to call either a WMOTY contender is a very heavy statement, and this will serve as a good litmus test for how much influence the Flagship has on people's match rating thoughts. How many people who listen to this, who may not have cared to think about those matches any further, will now put those two matches under consideration for the "honor", I wonder...

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:03 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm
Really happy Rich stood up for Streets of Rage--I get the feeling that Joe was treating it merely as 'alright' because he was thinking solely about the original, while I suspect Rich was talking about the series as a whole.

With that said, Rich, how excited are you for SOR 4?

I'm really interested in seeing how other people rate those two Stomping Grounds main events as the rest of the year progresses and other horrible matches emerge; while there was no doubt both had flaws, to call either a WMOTY contender is a very heavy statement, and this will serve as a good litmus test for how much influence the Flagship has on people's match rating thoughts. How many people who listen to this, who may not have cared to think about those matches any further, will now put those two matches under consideration for the "honor", I wonder...
I think Seth/Corbin will be remembered as terrible, but not Kofi/Ziggler. That latter is more of a me thing. To me, the worst thing a match can be is boring.

That's probably why I never appreciate maestro grappling style bouts. I have no special appreciation for real grappling, let alone when it's worked, and it never builds to anything, so it doesn't hold my attention. The more bored I am, the less the work matters. Relating this to Kofi/Ziggler, it wasnt poorly worked, it was just dull as dirt. And then the finish comically blew off then entire boring story they told!

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:17 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:00 pm
BoxingRobes wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:24 pm

This is where NXT is massively flawed. Someone like Lacey should be benefiting hugely from it yet they are rushed to the main roster whilst people like Gargano and Cole who shouldn't have even been there in the first place are there for 3+ years
To me, the lack the synergy between NXT and the main roster is why this is a problem. On the positive side, it has allowed Triple H to really run his own vanity promotion and the results have been nothing short of incredible. Its been the best thing WWE has under their umbrella since its inception (and this is going back to NXT on HULU days).

But on the flipside, the lack of synergy has led to some of the weirdest use of roster talent you'll ever see. A lot of the talent Triple H attempted to cultivate and develop don't get a semblance of a real push on the main roster. Examples - Cien Almas, Authors of Pain, The Revival, Sanity. Meanwhile a lot of the talent that Triple H essentially passed on and sent to the main roster get incredible pushes almost out of the gate - Baron Corbin, Lacey Evans, Elias. Also a lot of the talent that they build up with a character they've spent a long time developing down in NXT don't get the same treatment once they debut and they get slotted into some goofy nonsense that doesn't jive with the character we've seen being built over in some cases - 3 years.

Without getting into a full discussion...I just think its the lack of synergy between the two brands that is a real problem...not so much that NXT isn't REALLY developmental anymore. Why does Lacey Evans go from a female mid-carder in NXT straight to a main event angle on the A Show of the main roster. That shouldn't happen.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:26 pm

@Lanza

When you spoke about Kofi and Seth not drawing and being flops...why u no mention Becky Lynch?

Word for word, what you said about Kofi, could apply to Becky.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:26 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:26 pm
@Lanza

When you spoke about Kofi and Seth not drawing and being flops...why u no mention Becky Lynch?

Word for word, what you said about Kofi, could apply to Becky.
They did mention Becky, though they focussed on Kofi and Seth more.

miles

Post by miles » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:37 am

Joe claims he doesn’t dance, but has flossed live on the podcast.