VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Blocks, WWE Stomping Grounds & NOAH

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Blocks, WWE Stomping Grounds & NOAH

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:26 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling Flagship Podcast, Joe and Rich preview the upcoming NJPW G1 Climax 29 including takes on each block, favorite matchups on paper and who has a realistic chance of winning their block as well as the entire tournament. Additional topics include a preview of WWE Stomping Grounds streaming live on the WWE Network this Sunday and a check-in on Pro Wrestling NOAH through the June 9 Misawa tribute show.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7293750-vow ... s-noah.mp3

Danwaka

Re: VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Blocks, WWE Stomping Grounds & NOAH

Post by Danwaka » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Just on time. I'm making oat flatbreads.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Is it just me or does this A block feel like Kenta is the back door A Block winner? Kenta beats ZSJ, Osprey spoils Tana which opens the door for Kenta, and then Okada v Ibushi goes broadway and Kenta steals the block. Protects Ibushi v Okada for a potential WK15 and gets Kenta of all people in the main event of a sold Budokan against Naito?

Also I think both blocks are a lot of 8 and 12 pointers. Blocks are going to feel up for grabs.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Oh wow, a Tuesday night recording...you boys are a little excited, I take it. I'll listen to this and the J-Cast back-to-back, in order to see who sounds like they're busting a nut harder.

maq

Post by maq » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:54 pm
Is it just me or does this A block feel like Kenta is the back door A Block winner? Kenta beats ZSJ, Osprey spoils Tana which opens the door for Kenta, and then Okada v Ibushi goes broadway and Kenta steals the block. Protects Ibushi v Okada for a potential WK15 and gets Kenta of all people in the main event of a sold Budokan against Naito?

Also I think both blocks are a lot of 8 and 12 pointers. Blocks are going to feel up for grabs.
I think they're gonna be conservative with pushing Kenta at first, until they know what he has in him. I think he's in 50/50-ville.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 am

Re - Naito has a slow start in the G1. I went back to see who he faced first 2 nights of the G1 last year. It was matches against Omega and Ishii that I rated both at ****3/4! So not sure that’s a true statement.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:02 am

Now that I've managed to start listening, serious question...

...what if it is a STUFFED crust?

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 am

The G1 talk was awesome btw. The fact none of us think they will do Ibushi v Naito throws up a lot of interesting scenarios. I know you guys said no chance but I do think their is a chance the final is Naito v Okada. Naito wins but doesn’t get the belt as it’s just the finals. Can he overcome Okada when the belt is actually on the line? I do think you could tell and interesting story with that.
Saying that my early predication for the final is ZSJ v Naito

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:37 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 am
Re - Naito has a slow start in the G1. I went back to see who he faced first 2 nights of the G1 last year. It was matches against Omega and Ishii that I rated both at ****3/4! So not sure that’s a true statement.
Plus the year before that was the Naito v Ibushi G1 match which was Ibushi’s first match since taking off the Tiger Mask W mask. So idk the guys might be out to lunch a little on Naito’s In ring in the G1.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Pretty interesting comparing NOAH's strapping the rocket to Kaito to AJPW's situation with Miyahara. It's easy to forget that most fans thought that at the time, Miyahara might not be ready for the big time. But AJPW's hand was forced and there was really no other option, and it happened to work because Miyahara is a generational talent.

Ultimately NOAH just feels like it has a void right now. Back to the AJPW comparison, when they needed new blood for Kento, Suwama and Doering both came back, and they brought in Shuji Ishikawa. Now Kento has had plenty of time to develop as an ace against fresh opponents AND build up the next generation of guys like Jake Lee and Naoya Nomura. That stopgap of somewhat fresh main event talent helped them give more time to the young guys.

But NOAH doesn't really have that. Go, Sugiura, and Marufuji are all great talents but they've had mostly interrupted stints with the company for a long time. So it feels a little weird for them to pass the torch off to the young guys instantly. Not sure if it's a case of "a whole generation of wrestlers was probably stunted by Suzuki-gun and NJPW" or simply a case of needing to bring in some free agent talent but their current business level was basically years in the making.

OMGlancy

Post by OMGlancy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:19 pm

The preview of WWE Stomping Grounds, streaming live on the award winning WWE Network, was tremendous.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:34 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm
Pretty interesting comparing NOAH's strapping the rocket to Kaito to AJPW's situation with Miyahara. It's easy to forget that most fans thought that at the time, Miyahara might not be ready for the big time. But AJPW's hand was forced and there was really no other option, and it happened to work because Miyahara is a generational talent.

Ultimately NOAH just feels like it has a void right now. Back to the AJPW comparison, when they needed new blood for Kento, Suwama and Doering both came back, and they brought in Shuji Ishikawa. Now Kento has had plenty of time to develop as an ace against fresh opponents AND build up the next generation of guys like Jake Lee and Naoya Nomura. That stopgap of somewhat fresh main event talent helped them give more time to the young guys.

But NOAH doesn't really have that. Go, Sugiura, and Marufuji are all great talents but they've had mostly interrupted stints with the company for a long time. So it feels a little weird for them to pass the torch off to the young guys instantly. Not sure if it's a case of "a whole generation of wrestlers was probably stunted by Suzuki-gun and NJPW" or simply a case of needing to bring in some free agent talent but their current business level was basically years in the making.
Guess I forgot that Kenoh was supposed to be the guy, and his heel turn was mega hot, but then they didn't do anything with him for months and pulled the trigger way too late. Masa Kitamiya could also probably be in that range, where he should've been next up and sort of got bypassed. Not to mention that Nakajima flamed out at first and they just never went back to him even after he's proven to be a guy with star quality.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:22 pm

OMGlancy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:19 pm
The preview of WWE Stomping Grounds, streaming live on the award winning WWE Network, was tremendous.
This Sunday

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:45 pm

The new guys in the G1 certainly are the most interesting thing to the tournament this year, but I'm very curious about the second level guys (Goto, Sanada, EVIL) and if any of them get shunted to the bottom of the blocks to make way for these new guys. I can't imagine including Shingo and Ospreay and them not doing at least 8-10 points each. It would really hurt the Junior division and if that was gonna happen,it would make no sense to have them in the tournament at all.

I find Corbin's continued push to be the most perplexing thing in WWE today. I can justify in some way everyone else, even if I don't particularly like the choices, but they've buried Corbin openly as ratings poison. So, why the fuck is he still in the hunt?!?

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:14 pm

They did not have Shingo run through an entire junior division outside of Ospraey in such a dominant fashion only for him to go lose 4-5 G1 matches.

Naito and Jay White are the only clear losses I see. Just too high on the card to justify.

Ishii and Moxley are "upsets" that could set up future title matches for Shingo when you elevate him. At worst, he's splitting those matches.

The rest...Shingo wins. Could see him beating Moxley, too. Third night of the G1 for B Block...could see Shingo starting 3-0 with a Moxley win before he faces Jay White. I can't see Shingo losing to White and then Naito smack dab in the middle of the tournament (has them on consecutive nights), but can't see him losing to Moxley, White, Naito, and then Ishii in a ROW. That'd be wild booking that I just don't understand.

If Shingo is in the tournament...its to do well. Otherwise, why put him against Kojima to heat him back up before the event?

Also, I think KENTA does pretty well from a W-L perspective. He is ripe to be upsetting the top guys in the block like Okada, Tanahashi, Ibushi, Ospraey...it sets up a ton of new, fresh matchups for the fall and into next year. Quick, microwave angles to set up future matches.

They usually protect guys like Evil and Sanada in this tournament...not sure I see it this year, but if KENTA has a solid tournament against top guys, he will have to take some Ls and I guess that is where Evil and Sanada types come in.