VOW Flagship: Dominion, KENTA, Dragon Gate & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
FilipPejic

Re: VOW Flagship: Dominion, KENTA, Dragon Gate & more!

Post by FilipPejic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 am

Regarding the AEW media I think one of the reasoning behind not being on one YouTube channel is the money that the bucks and Rhodes get off as revenue and views on the videos. Along with the fact that certain people couldn’t appear on bte if it was under aew channel because they are under contract with other promotions I.e flip Gordon with roh. This comment from reddit regarding this same topic is another point, Things easily get lost in the shuffle if you put everything on one channel. Look at what happened to Zack Ryder's videos when they moved it to WWE's Yoitube. Imagine what would happen to UpUpDownDown if they did the same thing? its much better to grow everything separately.
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:47 am

The point that was brought up about wrestling injuries and when/how they occur is an interesting one. We see these wrestlers do crazy things all the time, yet they sometimes get serious injuries on moves/spots that are really simple. It actually reminds me a lot of auto racing. At times, you'll see these wild and spectacular accidents (cars flying and flipping through the air, barrel rolling over and over again), but the drivers will walk away with no injuries or very minor ones. On the other hand, you'll see accidents that end up either serious injuring or killing a driver, yet they don't look that series at all. The wreck that killed Dale Earnhardt is a great example of that (in that moment, it didn't even look like the most serious accident in that race).
FilipPejic wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 am
Regarding the AEW media I think one of the reasoning behind not being on one YouTube channel is the money that the bucks and Rhodes get off as revenue and views on the videos. Along with the fact that certain people couldn’t appear on bte if it was under aew channel because they are under contract with other promotions I.e flip Gordon with roh. This comment from reddit regarding this same topic is another point, Things easily get lost in the shuffle if you put everything on one channel. Look at what happened to Zack Ryder's videos when they moved it to WWE's Youtube. Imagine what would happen to UpUpDownDown if they did the same thing? its much better to grow everything separately.
I was going to mention that mini-rant from the Flagship, but these are some fair points that I didn't even consider.

What I was going to talk about, with regards to that rant, has to do more with the accessibility. Look, I understand things like Joe deciding not to cover the ROH and Impact TV shows on the Patreon. If you want to watch the shows, you have to go behind paywalls or (in the case of Impact) watch it as it airs on Twitch. The stuff with AEW is totally different. We're talking about YouTube, which is one of the most easily accessible apps/websites in the entire world. It's super easy to use. If you have a hard time using YouTube, then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

If you're really concerned about the three different YouTube channels, then there's an easy away around that. Just go to the three channels, subscribe to them, and click the bell icon. That way, you'll get alerts/notifications every time a new video is uploaded, and you can see these videos piled up as a playlist in your inbox. You don't have to worry about going to their individual channels or whatnot. They're all right there in one neat and tidy place. This would take you like two minutes (if that) to set up on the YouTube app on your phone. It's not very hard at all.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:30 am

I didn't see Dominion aside from a few clips (of Shibata pointing, and of Moxley cutting a promo post-Shota match) so can't comment on any of it unfortunately. I haven't seen the Naito Ibushi spot but both of them are my faves as well as masters of "oh did you HAVE TO do that" level of stupid spots. Mind you, I will say, there have been times when I've thought their combined recklessness provided for a very immersive match viewing experience. The G1 match that one year was one of my absolute favorites.

What I will comment on instead if the AEW stuff. I don't know what's going on with the digital strategy. BTE being on its own channel I understand - it started out as its own thing, not an ROH thing or a NJPW thing, but a vlog they just did for the fans. The Nightmare Family shit absolutely 100000% needs to be on the AEW channel. I foolishly subscribed to the AEW channel, thinking I'd get everything from there, but it's a slow drip of bits and pieces. The almighty algorhithm does rec me the Nigthmare Family stuff so I do see it whenever I go on youtube, if it's dropped within a day, but still, not ideal.

Also, they need to be quicker with the promos. The Moxley promo garnered 1mil views on youtube for a non-affiliated fan account until it was uploaded on AEW's official channel.

If you don't wanna watch any of it, or only catch recaps, Everything Elite does an excellent job of providing recaps of all the content. I love that podcast, along with the flagship, it's one of my must-listens every week.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 pm

I see the potential upsides and reasoning behind the three YouTube channels but I also know that if I were running the company, I'd change that tomorrow. If you want to keep BTE in its own world because it was started separately and you're worried about getting people who sub there moved over to the AEW channel, that's fine, I get that. The Nightmare Family stuff is ridiculous, that needs to be on AEW's channel 100%.

And sure, you can subscribe to all three, get notifications for all three and stay up on all three... but that's not how you should structure your digital strategy. By not having everything under one umbrella you risk people missing videos/uploads and people missing out on your content in general. They are in the customer acquisition period for their company and you need to make everything as accessible and easy as possible. Asking people to subscribe to 3 different YouTube channels just to get your YouTube content is a large enough ask that some people may hand-wave it. For a company trying to build through digital, that's inexcusable.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 pm
I see the potential upsides and reasoning behind the three YouTube channels but I also know that if I were running the company, I'd change that tomorrow. If you want to keep BTE in its own world because it was started separately and you're worried about getting people who sub there moved over to the AEW channel, that's fine, I get that. The Nightmare Family stuff is ridiculous, that needs to be on AEW's channel 100%.

And sure, you can subscribe to all three, get notifications for all three and stay up on all three... but that's not how you should structure your digital strategy. By not having everything under one umbrella you risk people missing videos/uploads and people missing out on your content in general. They are in the customer acquisition period for their company and you need to make everything as accessible and easy as possible. Asking people to subscribe to 3 different YouTube channels just to get your YouTube content is a large enough ask that some people may hand-wave it. For a company trying to build through digital, that's inexcusable.
I agree with this especially in the pre-TV show lead up. Why make things harder to follow? Sure, it's not impossible to do so without it in one place, but then, you could always put all the content on one channel and keep the other channels going as well. It just seems like a short-sighted thing that probably will eventually be dealt with as the company grows.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:35 pm

Only listened to the last two shows yesterday. I thought both were two of your best.

Re: the Youtube channels. Come October 1st I was told all the new contracts kick in and all the guys merch money goes to AEW and they own “everything”. So consolidation will happen. The Bucks have already stated the status of Being The Elite is very TBA come the TV era. A lot of episodes are very phoned in and filler while with enjoyable moments here and there. The days of huge storyline archs and extremely caring are over.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:24 pm

This weeks BTW really didn't contain anything

jcmyers89

Post by jcmyers89 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Hey guys. I'm new to voices of wrestling forum. Is there anyone here willing to help me navigate the dragon gate network? As far as where the shows go when they are archived and how the streaming service works? Its confusing to me and im thinking of subscribing to it. I just want some clarification first. Any help would be appreciated

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 am

jcmyers89 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:33 pm
Hey guys. I'm new to voices of wrestling forum. Is there anyone here willing to help me navigate the dragon gate network? As far as where the shows go when they are archived and how the streaming service works? Its confusing to me and im thinking of subscribing to it. I just want some clarification first. Any help would be appreciated
I've heard nothing but bad things about the service

jcmyers89

Post by jcmyers89 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Damn. Thats not what i wanted to here. Trying to make sense of this service and watch some dragon gate but seems impossible. Thanks Joe. Appreciate it.