VOW Flagship: Dominion, KENTA, Dragon Gate & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Dominion, KENTA, Dragon Gate & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:55 pm

This week on a loaded edition of the Voices of Wrestling Flagship podcast we review NJPW's recent Dominion show featuring a controversial match between Kota Ibushi and Tetsuya Naito, we chat about KENTA's appearance in NJPW and what it means for Pro Wrestling NOAH, we preview NJPW's upcoming Kizuna Road and Australian tours, chat Dragon Gate's King of Gate, the emergence of Ben-K and last but certainly not least we debut a BRAND NEW segment on the show.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7288212-vow ... e-more.mp3

armsofsleep

Re: VOW Flagship: Dominion, KENTA, Dragon Gate & more!

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm

One of the things I'm a bit puzzled by is the point that the Jericho/Okada match "felt different".

In terms of Okada taking a beating, I think stuff like the Suzuki draws were probably better at conveying that level of physical beating. You're right in that they sort of cut off the classic closing stretch (which I'm not super attached to anyway) but I thought the rest of the match was pretty by the numbers for both guys. Jericho is already repeating spots in his post-WWE run with the camera stuff, table spots, his playing to the crowd, and for Okada........... I mean it's still a 25+ minute main event with an overlong intro. Good or bad, it's not exactly anything different than what you'd expect. And certainly not that different from the typical main event in NJPW (especially in the age where Jay White is a main eventer and doing a lot of the same stuff).

Especially when we have something like the first Naito match to directly point to. That match was shorter, it had blood, it basically had no in-ring action....... THAT is different. That is "grimy lucha brawling". This version of Jericho (and it popped up in the Omega match too) is just Jericho doing the Ambrose Cage of Horrors whatever the fuck match with facepaint on.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:33 pm

There were just points in the Okada/Jericho match where it looked sloppy, slow, and where they didn't have strong chemistry.

When Lanza said they felt the end meant well...I feel like that was the entire match. Meant well. Understood everything. The structure and what they wanted to do were good...just execution wasn't there for me.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 pm

I honestly feel like it's Okada's worst title defense since the Suzuki one.

GeoffSpelledCorrect

Post by GeoffSpelledCorrect » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 am

Wanted to add to something Joe said about the G1 Climax Korakuen sellout. Not only was it sold out by the fan club, but the fan club pre-sale has been over for like a month, so we literally would have known nothing about that show, other than it being a Saturday. I personally have tickets for that show and bought completely blind because I know it fits my schedule.

OMGlancy

Post by OMGlancy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm

I couldn't agree with Joe more than when he was ranting about not being bothered by the Kota Ibushi stuff. It's like we were sharing a brain on that one. Right down to the "these are adults..." line. Between this and the KENTA show he's 100% on hot takes this week.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:12 pm

I get the guys' point on letting wrestlers' choose how to express themselves through that work. I agree that if you put your body out there, you control how much or how little damage/danger you're willing to take. But as a viewer, I was taken out of the match with the Ibushi bump. To me, it added nothing and made me less into the remainder of the match. So, while he's welcome to try to become a paraplegic if he likes and I won't knock him for it, when Ibushi does stupid shit, I don't find myself as engaged as I was at MSG. And that's why this match I have a full star lower than the MSG match.

Okada and Jericho was on the good side of a barely acceptable main event. Maybe it's Okada having a set match structure and Jericho not working it or maybe Jericho's shtick is getting long in the tooth for me, but I never got into this match. It really dragged down the show as a whole and while I understand them wanting to do a Tanahashi/Jericho match, the post-match did nothing for me either.

In terms of Kenta, I think his last two years in WWE have produced enough good work that I don't think I am concerned at all with him producing in a more favorable environment for his style. His NXT/205 stuff may never match his NOAH stuff, but at least since they stopped caring about him, he's been pretty on point in the ring

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 pm

KENTA had some low key bangers towards the end of the WWE run, and that was while he was out of shape and unmotivated. That gives me optimism, combined with the idea that he has something to prove.

Murcatto

Post by Murcatto » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm

I figure PAC is retaining in Kobe because otherwise the story that AEW won't book him because they don't know when he can start doing jobs doesn't make a lot of sense. Supposedly he was going over at DON, and if he drops the Dream Gate belt in Kobe he would've been able to put Kenny over at All Out if that was the planned direction.

If he does lose to Ben-K, perhaps that sets up a surprise appearance at All Out? Hangman winning the belt and PAC wiping him out after would be cool.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:05 am

Murcatto wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm
I figure PAC is retaining in Kobe because otherwise the story that AEW won't book him because they don't know when he can start doing jobs doesn't make a lot of sense. Supposedly he was going over at DON, and if he drops the Dream Gate belt in Kobe he would've been able to put Kenny over at All Out if that was the planned direction.

If he does lose to Ben-K, perhaps that sets up a surprise appearance at All Out? Hangman winning the belt and PAC wiping him out after would be cool.
Im on team visa re: PAC, we're gonna find out real fast after he loses

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:55 am

Murcatto wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Dragon Gate is a hard company to predict but I can tell you this. No heel that's entered Kobe World as Dream Champion has left as champion. PAC is losing that belt. 100%.
Last edited by Angry216 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:12 am

Should note that NJPW GM Michael Craven really talked up Jack Bonza in particular on a recent podcast. I don't know, I just found that interesting because he's now on the NJPW roster page:

https://omny.fm/shows/triple-m-top-rope ... rave/embed

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:13 am

The tag team on the Australian shows are the Filip Brothers(Tome and Stevie). They are the new MCW tag champs. They have been been tearing it up in MCW, in particular Stevie. They trained at the Fale dojo, and I believe will be training at the NJPW proper soon.

Mick Moretti is probally one of my top 3 favorite wrestlers right now(with Ospreay and Eagles). Mick is my current Aussie wrestler of the year, just killing it pretty much every chance he gets. Him and Bonza have pretty much carried PWA this year. I think if they both tone down their gimmicks just a little they won't be out of place in a NJPW ring. Both are great wrestlers, and both are ring generals(Bonza's gimmick is an actual general), and are great at controlling a match. Both also have super innovative offense.
Last edited by Tim_dawg on Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Massive agreement in regards to Ibushi v Naito. I find all the crying over it ridiculous. Apart from that one spot they've had matches that were much more dangerous too. And their matches are awesome.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Regarding Aaron Solow s invovlement on the NjPW tour in Australia he was brought in to train Fale s wresting school. He has that connection with kozina because people forget he was trained by kozina and Richards
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97