VOW Flagship: BOSJ Finals, Dominion, TakeOver XXV & Aoki

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: VOW Flagship: BOSJ Finals, Dominion, TakeOver XXV & Aoki

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:50 pm

To double down on Lanza's Ibushi take...

I'll go one step further.

It'll be Ibushi v. Omega.

I don't know how...but they'll get there.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:33 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:33 pm
Wrestling is at it's absolute best when the line between reality and fiction is slightly blurred. We all love getting worked a little, identifying with a character, rooting for a person. Underdog runs in WWE resonate because we actually do think that performer is being held down. Someone like Nick Gage connects because he's basically living the gimmick.

It's always going to be harder to connect to Ospreay as a wrestler because he hasn't cultivated a persona or aura at all. He comes off like a geek, because that's what he is.
I've always taken Ospreay's in ring persona to be that of someone who can do incredible things but probably does too many of them and it bites him in the butt on occasion. He's at his best when he doesn't just do the cool stuff, but also sells really well too. I thought he was great in BOSJ but thought the Dragon Lee match yesterday probably was his least compelling match if you include it with those matches due to it just being a high end spotfest.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:36 am

High end spotfests are cool and fun

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:36 am
Yeah honestly I think Ospreay is at his best when he's just doing stupid flip shit. He should basically just be doing Teddy Hart shit. He more runs into problems when he's trying to do the "dramatic match", trying to do the NJPW main event style (or, even worse, doing SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT stuff like some of his PROGRESS stuff). In a sense, I would rather him completely no sell everything than have to see the dramatic faces and screaming and stuff like that.

It's also why I think those Matt Riddle matches seem to be his most universally beloved among all types of fans. Especially the first one they had in PROGRESS two years ago. It's just two guys doing one long crazy sequence of dumb bullshit. It rules!

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
They are and I liked the match, but many of his BOSJ matches were more compelling to me especially his MOTY with Shingo.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:23 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 pm
Joe Lanza wrote:
Yeah honestly I think Ospreay is at his best when he's just doing stupid flip shit. He should basically just be doing Teddy Hart shit. He more runs into problems when he's trying to do the "dramatic match", trying to do the NJPW main event style (or, even worse, doing SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT stuff like some of his PROGRESS stuff). In a sense, I would rather him completely no sell everything than have to see the dramatic faces and screaming and stuff like that.

It's also why I think those Matt Riddle matches seem to be his most universally beloved among all types of fans. Especially the first one they had in PROGRESS two years ago. It's just two guys doing one long crazy sequence of dumb bullshit. It rules!
Maybe I was watching a different series of matches, but the Riddle matches were not spotfests at all, especially the WWN/Evolve one.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:47 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:23 pm
armsofsleep wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 pm
Joe Lanza wrote:

Maybe I was watching a different series of matches, but the Riddle matches were not spotfests at all, especially the WWN/Evolve one.
The WWN/EVOLVE one is probably the closest to a traditional "story match" or whatever but it still basically is 15 minutes of killing time (and setting up the no rope break thing) and then 10 minutes of nuts bullshit. The PROGRESS match is basically only the latter and the OTT one sort of splits the difference.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:19 pm
I enjoy onions in most things but I unserstand why people domt like them. Especially raw.

A nice carmalized onion topping on a steak? C'mon, man. Thats good stuff.
FWIW i like grilled onions on brats/hot dogs and stuff. Raw onions or onions just lumped into shit for the sake of it can kick rocks though.