VOW Flagship: BOSJ Finals, Dominion, TakeOver XXV & Aoki

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: VOW Flagship: BOSJ Finals, Dominion, TakeOver XXV & Aoki

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:43 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:20 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:19 pm
I enjoy onions in most things but I unserstand why people domt like them. Especially raw.

A nice carmalized onion topping on a steak? C'mon, man. Thats good stuff.
Tbh it’s 90% a texture thing. I don’t like how rubbery an onion feels on my tongue or teeth. Carmalizing them does nothing for me. The only way I can get them down is if you mince them and slow cook them in a pot for like 12 hours. The texture makes them almost but not quite mushy( which is usually undesirable but this is a compromise) and that allows them to blend in with the 5,000 other things that are cooking in a stew.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:36 am

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:20 am
Joe Lanza wrote:
I enjoy onions in most things but I unserstand why people domt like them. Especially raw.

Tbh it’s 90% a texture thing. I don’t like how rubbery an onion feels on my tongue or teeth. Carmalizing them does nothing for me. The only way I can get them down is if you mince them and slow cook them in a pot for like 12 hours. The texture makes them almost but not quite mushy( which is usually undesirable but this is a compromise) and that allows them to blend in with the 5,000 other things that are cooking in a stew.
I mean, at least try a caramelized onion and cheese toasted sandwich.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:43 am

Ospreay is a lock for the G1 in my opinion. Why wouldn't you put him in? Especially with no Kenny this year thats a lot of amazing matches that aren't going to take place that someone like Will can give you. Ospreay v Ishii,Naito,Goto,Mox!,Ibushi,Okada. Give me these matches!

Star ratings don't mater and they are everyones opinion but saying that you are both wrong not giving Ospreay v Shingo the full 5! ha. Out of interest what matches if any have you both given the 5 to this year?

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:48 am

Danwaka wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:36 am
Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:20 am
Joe Lanza wrote:

I mean, at least try a caramelized onion and cheese toasted sandwich.
I have unfortunately involuntary been subjected to carmalized onions and toasted cheese sandwiches on separate occasions. Never together though. If it is any consolation I will look into this Arab Roast dish you speak of, just to assist the onion farmers of the world.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:48 am

I have unfortunately involuntary been subjected to carmalized onions and toasted cheese sandwiches on separate occasions. Never together though. If it is any consolation I will look into this Arab Roast dish you speak of, just to assist the onion farmers of the world.

You'll need a few pounds of chicken, salt and pepper, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of ground allspice, a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg, a quarter cup of sumac powder, a half cup of olive oil, 3 onions, pine nuts and some flatbread / pitta bread (I think that's what Westerners call it).

You rub the chicken with salt, pepper and cinnamon first before mixing together the sumac, spices, nutmeg and half of the olive oil that you'll then marinate the chicken with for at least an hour. Meanwhile, you'll want to toast the pine nuts and then saute the onions with what's left of the olive oil for a few minutes. Then add into that your marinated chicken on a medium-high heat until they get slightly golden. Once they do, fill the pan with water and let it simmmer until the chicken is fully cooked. You remove from the pan and keep the stock for a baking pan, which you'll cover with the bread to soak. Then you scatter the fried onions over the bread, before layering the chicken over the onions and seasoning with salt and pepper. That'll bake for between 20 to 25 minutes before you get it onto the table, where you garnish with the pine nuts and serve hot with greek yoghurt on the side.

The chicken is gonna be chicken and thus great, but the juices of the stock plus the onions will cook into the bread and give it a kind of foccacia type look. The textures shouldn't be too bad that way.

It'll look something like this: https://thefooddoctor.files.wordpress.c ... uisine.jpg

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:01 pm

I rarely connect with NJPW stories even if I will generally enjoy the in ring work. Ospreay/Shingo connected with me at a higher level than most from them and just happened to be awesome in the ring. Didn't think anything would surpass Bryan/Kofi, but this is my current MOTY.

The Moxley/Juice match had a tremendous start and finish and pretty middling middle. I think sub-20 minute brawls should be the standard for Moxley matches which makes me very concerned for when he faces Omega. Some guys work better in confined timelines and Moxley is clearly one of them.

Re: Gargano, I agree they need to make space for others and his call up has to come sooner rather than later. But, I think you do one final match in Toronto and call him up that week to one of the big brands. I'd be cool with him on 205 and think he could fill the currently empty "ace" spot.

Finally, haters of onions are missing out on a world of flavor. Like Joe said, raw onions is a justifiable dislike, but cooked onions are the shit.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Joe and Rich going to bat for Will Ospreay's personal character is amusing. The dude's definitely a moron. And I don't know about minor transgressions. There was that Pollyanna thing that happened with one of his mates. His shit attitude with Sadie Gibbs. You can like him in the ring all you want, but the dude's definitely not some innocent babe getting raked over the coals for no reason.

That 'Rich is shooting'! bit should replace the current opener. Especially the pew pew bit.

You two are sadistic for cheering on Jericho running away with yet another NJPW title, but you've both confirmed yourself as having trash tastes in this podcast so I can't really say anything.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Another notice...Rich...please add Joe Lanza's BURN IT DOWN from a few weeks ago to the introduction.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:17 pm
Joe and Rich going to bat for Will Ospreay's personal character is amusing. The dude's definitely a moron. And I don't know about minor transgressions. There was that Pollyanna thing that happened with one of his mates. His shit attitude with Sadie Gibbs. You can like him in the ring all you want, but the dude's definitely not some innocent babe getting raked over the coals for no reason.
I feel like throwing in my thoughts in regards to Ospreay. One thing that can't be denied is that he is an elite in-ring performer and a budding superstar with New Japan, those that can't see that are on a stubborn island but that debate has been beaten to death and those who think he is a poor wrestler are entitled to their opinion, even if I think that is absurdly wrong.

What I am going to comment on though is Will Ospreay, the person. I don't frequent social media (don't have a twitter account and only use Facebook sporadically), so I will admit that I am not totally up to speed on what he is said or done that has offended a good chunk of people or how recent/far in the past these comments/actions are.

But what I will point out though to anyone, is have they never regretted anything they have said or done in the past? No one is perfect and I get the impression with Ospreay that he is aware that he needs to change/grow up. Perhaps the move to Japan will help in that regard.

As a final point, I rate a wrestler's work on how entertaining they are to me as a fan, not on their personality in real life. For comparisons sake, by all accounts Bad Luck Fale is supposed to be nice guy in real life but to me he is a poor wrestler, who's matches I rarely (if ever) look forward to. Ospreay may well have done/said things that paint him in a bad light but I enjoy his work as a wrestler. Unless someone has done something completely reprehensible (e.g murder someone), when it comes to any form of entertainment, I judge the performer not the person.

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:36 pm

I'll be prepared to take an L on this if I have to but I think y'all are nuts to give Jericho more than a, like, 5% chance of winning. And even that feels generous. If you think Jericho showing up and getting a title match for no reason looks bad, think of the optics of a G1 loser (presumably Naito, Okada, or Ibushi in this scenario) taking the title back off of him at KOPW while the briefcase winner defends it against Goto or whoever. That's not to say it CAN'T happen, but you can usually see IWGP HW title changes coming, especially in the last five or six years, and this isn't one of them.

And while we're on the subject of the Dome main event, as it relates to Naito/Ibushi, here's a probably-dumb scenario for ya, and I apologize in advance for the pseudo-fantasy-booking. Naito's talked a lot about wanting to challenge for the IWGP title while still being the IC champion. Is it plausible that he beats Ibushi, wins the G1, and ends up in a quote-unquote "unification match" with Okada at Wrestle Kingdom? And if so, is it possible that the main event for the other day of WK is Ospreay defending the Jr. Title (maybe in the Shingo rematch) to kind of set up that belt to be what the IC belt has been for the last few years? Reduces their excessive number of belts by one and gives NJPW another avenue to keep the guys with top-of-the-card clout in the spotlight, because with the ascent of White, Ospreay, and Shingo, not to mention SANADA lurking in the wings, it's getting kind of crowded up there.

I don't think that's a likely direction, if for no other reason than that it puts Ibushi in kind of an awkward no-man's-land, but if New Japan was going to double down on the high-risk, high-reward concept of two Dome shows, there'd be worse ways to do it.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:49 am

People were going mad at Ospreay the other week for calling people virgins. Imagine getting up in arms about that

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Tigerkinney wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:34 pm

What I am going to comment on though is Will Ospreay, the person. I don't frequent social media (don't have a twitter account and only use Facebook sporadically), so I will admit that I am not totally up to speed on what he is said or done that has offended a good chunk of people or how recent/far in the past these comments/actions are. But what I will point out though to anyone, is have they never regretted anything they have said or done in the past? No one is perfect and I get the impression with Ospreay that he is aware that he needs to change/grow up. Perhaps the move to Japan will help in that regard.
Like I said, the Pollyanna and Sadie Gibbs stuff was what soured me on him. Pollyanna was around 2017 when she came back and talked about being sexually assaulted by another wrestler (rumored to be one of Will's mates). Will and his girlfriend started subtweeting about false accusations only to back off when people got annoyed online.

Sadie Gibbs was earlier this year, where again he started subtweeting about telling some of the Britwres girls how they had to act while on tour in Japan and that one of them just couldn't cut it. Sadie popped up to let him know she'd had a relative pass away which was why she was heading home, only for him to try and deflect about how she was ungrateful for the opportunity and should have listened to him more.

Both incidents have soured me on him as a person, and I'm not of the mentality to cheer on a babyface that I don't care for, regardless of how people rave about his matches. Him saying he needs to grow up and be better is all well and good, but actions rather than declarations will be what changes my opinion of him. *shrugs*

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:14 pm
Both incidents have soured me on him as a person, and I'm not of the mentality to cheer on a babyface that I don't care for, regardless of how people rave about his matches. Him saying he needs to grow up and be better is all well and good, but actions rather than declarations will be what changes my opinion of him. *shrugs*
In no way am I defending Will Ospreay the person, and both the incidents you stated, paint him as a bit of a douchebag to put it mildly. However I stick by my guns, that people can change and hopefully Ospreay has begun to recognise his faults and from this point on begin to act with more maturity. But even if he continues to be something of a dickhead, that's not going to change how I feel about his performances as a wrestler.

There's no right or wrong here, I can detach the person from the performer but I understand if other's can't. However people can't use that as an excuse to say he is a bad pro-wrestler. Despite being a dumbass by all accounts in real life, he's an extremely talented pro-wrestler who is constantly improving his craft.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Wrestling is at it's absolute best when the line between reality and fiction is slightly blurred. We all love getting worked a little, identifying with a character, rooting for a person. Underdog runs in WWE resonate because we actually do think that performer is being held down. Someone like Nick Gage connects because he's basically living the gimmick.

It's always going to be harder to connect to Ospreay as a wrestler because he hasn't cultivated a persona or aura at all. He comes off like a geek, because that's what he is.