VOW Flagship: AEW on TNT, Money in the Bank & BOSJ

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: AEW on TNT, Money in the Bank & BOSJ

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri May 17, 2019 10:42 am

This week on the Voices of Wrestling Flagship podcast Joe and Rich chat AEW on TNT, our thoughts on the deal, the price point for AEW Double or Nothing and the potential long-term success of weekly TV. Additional topics include a catch-up on NJPW's Best of the Super Juniors tournament, details on the tragic death of Silver King, our reactions to Bret Hart vs. Tom Magee and a preview of WWE Money in the Bank 2019.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7263972-vow ... k-bosj.mp3

IIDXias

Re: VOW Flagship: AEW on TNT, Money in the Bank & BOSJ

Post by IIDXias » Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm

taiji ishimori vs. marty scurll and el phantasmo vs. BUSHI were both much, much worse than both the DOUKI matches. phantasmo and scurll are both worse than DOUKI!!!

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri May 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Some light number crunching: 52 shows x 500,000 (minimum) means that TNT will pay at least 25M for a weekly AEW show. Which is definitely more than what TNA ever got from Spike. So on that basis alone it's a much better deal.

That said, comparing it to the XFL deal on the basis of what startup costs will be for both doesn't work for me. The ad-rate acquisition w/guarantee is a fair bonus, but bringing in the negatives of the operating costs into a comparison of the positives of each deals feels misplaced. I also doubt that TNT dropped a major downside guarantee given the historical understanding that ad rates for wrestling are fairly low.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat May 18, 2019 2:21 am

If anyone plans to discuss AEW on TNT, they need to read the Nitro book. Period.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat May 18, 2019 3:05 am

IIDXias wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm
taiji ishimori vs. marty scurll and el phantasmo vs. BUSHI were both much, much worse than both the DOUKI matches. phantasmo and scurll are both worse than DOUKI!!!
We need some industrial strength mittens for takes this hot!

DOUKI isn’t as bad as this flagship makes him out to be though. He needs to invest in some new gear and polish up some of his offense but overall the “grimy vengeance of the shindie vet” is a fresh gimmick and he has some cool ideas and a great finisher.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat May 18, 2019 3:11 am

I feel like I am the only one who doesn’t have a intense hate for Ishimori v Scrull. It’s not a 4 star match or really approaching it but I thought it was fine until the top rope hurricanrana botch by Taiji. I’m also perplexed as to why more people weren’t concerned about Ishimori’s health. He clearly can’t handle all of Marty’s weight on that tombstone into double knees move he does and also clearly knocks himself out on the middle rope when drops Marty. It seemed like Marty was confused as to what happened and just got up real fast to work through the botch and had to drag Ishimori through to the finish imo.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Great show this week. Haven't watched Scurll v Ishimori and certainly wont be but is this a rare case where wrestlers not speaking the same language causes huge issues? Always amazed it doesn't happen more often with english v japanese wrestlers

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sun May 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Great show as usual, I wonder if TAKA wasn’t forced out of his own company in k-dojo for cheating on his wife. That ayato yoshida would have been in the tournament instead of douki or Narita
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon May 20, 2019 12:29 am

A take --

If you - even ironically - use the full trope gimmick name of WWE wrestlers (ex: SASSY SOUTHERN BELLE THE LADY OF WWE LACEY EVANS A FORMER MARINE HERE TO RID THE WWE OF ALL THE NASTIES) ... I feel like WWE won.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 am

Strange to think that the biggest takeaway I got out of this show was that I should probably go renew my First Aid/CPR certification sometime soon. So uh, thanks for the tiny bit of public service announcement, I guess?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 am
Strange to think that the biggest takeaway I got out of this show was that I should probably go renew my First Aid/CPR certification sometime soon. So uh, thanks for the tiny bit of public service announcement, I guess?
Saving lives out here on the VOW Flagship.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon May 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Rich...it is time.

It is time to retire VERY VERY VERY BREAKY BREAKY BISHI BISHIIIIII.

In its place...

Joe M. Lanza saying BURN IT DOOOOOOOWN before the Smashing Pumpkins track.