VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend Review, G1 Supercard & WrestleMania 35

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
mlev76

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend Review, G1 Supercard & WrestleMania 35

Post by mlev76 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:42 am
The numbers are interesting on attendances. The top five parties to walk out of WrestleMania Weekend (excluding NJPW, ROH and WWE) are GCW (counting all 4 shows means they blow everyone else out of the water by 1500+ tickets), IMPACT, Joey Ryan, RPW and Sami Callihan. You can throw in Wrestlecon as well, but I don't know really know what they were doing for matches and I know they had Joey sell his dick holding pictures so that kind of goes to him as well.

It's also telling that there's a big gap between the companies that did 1000 or more and those that did around 600. Not a single company did anything in-between 650 and 1,000 tickets sold. And of the companies that did 500 to 750, four of them were American (BLACKCRAFT, EVOLVE, HOG and SHIMMER) and two were Japanese (DDT and STARDOM). Of the four American promotions, BLACKCRAFT has only run four shows and is the youngest by far.
The gap is due in part to the size of the venues. White Eagle Hall is a stand alone venue meant for events that draw around between 600-700 people. The Hilton (where Wrestlecon was) was a massive conference room which can hold several thousand for a non-wrestling event and had a balcony level as well. I'm not saying what was drawing at each place made a difference in attendance, but each had a cap on what they could legally or even illegally put in each place and the cap at Wrestlecon was higher. I'd also say Wrestlecon was probably convenient to more people than the Jersey City events.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:21 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pm
The gap is due in part to the size of the venues. White Eagle Hall is a stand alone venue meant for events that draw around between 600-700 people. The Hilton (where Wrestlecon was) was a massive conference room which can hold several thousand for a non-wrestling event and had a balcony level as well. I'm not saying what was drawing at each place made a difference in attendance, but each had a cap on what they could legally or even illegally put in each place and the cap at Wrestlecon was higher. I'd also say Wrestlecon was probably convenient to more people than the Jersey City events.
That's definitely something I didn't take into consideration. Good shout, Mlev.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:55 pm

I made it a point to give the total capacity of the key venues. JJSB would have surely topped 700 and probably done close to 2000 in a larger venue. Bloodsport would've done better, too.

They tried to find a larger venue for at least one night of JJSB. The NY/NJ area has tons of small & large rooms, but lacks mid sized venues. Price is also tricky.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:55 pm
I made it a point to give the total capacity of the key venues. JJSB would have surely topped 700 and probably done close to 2000 in a larger venue. Bloodsport would've done better, too.

They tried to find a larger venue for at least one night of JJSB. The NY/NJ area has tons of small & large rooms, but lacks mid sized venues. Price is also tricky.
When MSG was announced, I was surprised no one made a play at Hammerstein.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:29 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:13 pm

When MSG was announced, I was surprised no one made a play at Hammerstein.
Hammerstein's supposed to be pretty expensive, no? I remember hearing a story way back about IMPACT or ROH not running it because the owners were upping the price?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Im sure everyone looked into Hammerstein. The fact nobody ran it tells you all you need to know.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:01 pm
Im sure everyone looked into Hammerstein. The fact nobody ran it tells you all you need to know.
Well maybe Bully Ray will keep ROH spending money on frivolous shit and we'll see them back there again.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am

Someone made a very intelligent argument on Reddit that Matt Taven vs. Rush is a surefire World Heavyweight title defense for a co-op show in Mexico with CMLL. Matt Taven's worked for CMLL and done well for himself and Rush is obviously over in Mexico, so the crowd reaction would be great and the fans would come in like they do for Impact's shows.

Which means that Matt Taven is the transitional guy for Rush, who ROH has under contract for the near future, is linked to Los Ingobernales and is the freshest guy in the company. We could be looking at Los Ingobernales de Estados Unidos as the new top act in ROH a year from now, completely replacing The Elite and supplemented by visits from the Japanese branch.

This makes sense and would be a great forward moving plan if true.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Not only that, but Rush was feuding with Kingdom already, and Taven is the only guy he hasnt gotten revenge on yet.

The "poorly booked" portion of the MSG show is badly overblown.

spiffie
VOW Staff Member

Post by spiffie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:36 pm

The WM newbie thing is no excuse for Rich's busted state. As his chauffeur we went to all the same places, and even though I've got a decade on him and it was my first WM weekend I was at work bright and early Monday morning, none the worse for wear. Obviously the answer is that old dudes like Lanza and I are just tougher than these young kids.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:45 pm

spiffie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:36 pm
The WM newbie thing is no excuse for Rich's busted state. As his chauffeur we went to all the same places, and even though I've got a decade on him and it was my first WM weekend I was at work bright and early Monday morning, none the worse for wear. Obviously the answer is that old dudes like Lanza and I are just tougher than these young kids.
I have still never had the flu.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Huge thanks to Joe for shouldering the load on what is usually one of our biggest shows of the year. I'm finally feeling better (took a fucking week) so hopefully I'll be back to full power this week.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 pm

spiffie wrote:
For the record the flat tire WHEN I got home after our flat tire fiasco the morning of really put me over the top. I felt pretty okay until that point then was a fucking wreck afterwards

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:54 pm

spiffie wrote:
I blame airplanes more than anything. Got a nice cold on the way home from the Final Four and had gotten plenty of rest etc.
Joe Lanza wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:30 am
Fwiw, Mike Spears researched Enzo's instagram and about 775k followers are real.
I've re-read this sentence 3 times and still can't come to grips that Spears, a somewhat rational human being, said "let me look into this"

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Sean flew first-class on the way back while I huddled up with the unwashed masses in the middle seat of coach.