VOW Flagship: Bouncin' Around Titan, Rush, ROH roster & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Bouncin' Around Titan, Rush, ROH roster & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:58 pm

This week on a WWE-heavy Voices of Wrestling flagship Joe and Rich talk NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool, the return of T&A with Mandy Rose and Alexa Bliss, the latest on The Revival, Bennett/Kannelis and others looking for releases. We also dive into Ring of Honor's updated roster, the signing of Rush and what's next for the company post-Elite.

Thanks to our sponsor ZipRecruiter. Post your first job for free at http://www.ziprecruiter.com/VOW.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7147995-vow ... r-more.mp3

Danwaka

Re: VOW Flagship: Bouncin' Around Titan, Rush, ROH roster & more!

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 pm

> Joe on Twitter: 'How dare Wikipedia remove entrance themes and finishers'.
> Joe on Podcast: 'I never remember the names of finishers anyway'.

On a sidenote, very useful recap on the state of potential jumps. There's a part of me that thinks The Revival would be best served by not going straight to AEW and let the potential match with the Bucks percolate a bit since their match rep is kind of dead in the water and could be served by some spectacles elsewhere. LAX, Lucha Bros, whoever MLW and ROH can put together... maybe PWG could put the tag titles on them and give them some shining up?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:09 am

Danwaka wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 pm
This is why I need them on Wiki!

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:29 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:09 am
Danwaka wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 pm
Nobody needs to know entrance themes or finishers on a wiki. If you don't know what a wrestler does to finish a match then that's on them for not capturing your attention well enough. ;)

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:32 am

Awesome show this week. As much shit as you give wwe and rightly so ( I don’t watch the weekly programming either) the Royal Rumble cars looks like it’s the best main roster card in years. Do you guys agree? Also do you think with AEW and other companies making big offers will NXT become more of an actual development brand as people like Riddle and Cole won’t be sinking there anymore surely

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:05 pm

I feel like I am the high man on pretty much everything on NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool.

I thought it was an incredible show top to bottom. I saw the reaction on Twitter after, and felt like we watched two completely different shows.

Mustache Mountain v. Grizzled Young Vets - ****1/2
Finn Balor v. Jordan Devlin - ***1/2 (a notch above a "good RAW match" IMO)
Eddie Dennis v. Dave Mastiff - ***1/2
Rhea Ripley v. Toni Storm - ****
Pete Dunne v. Joe Coffey - ****1/2

Felt the crowd really took this show up a notch, too.

idk, was really in the right mindset for this show, I guess. I have zero issues with much of anything they did.

On board with Rich on Rhea Ripley. She's pretty great. Even better after she lost weight. Just moves differently now.

The Main Event...I get it...they got to very extra levels, but idk, I was feeling it the whole way through. The very extra near falls popped me.

The Wolfgang obsession...very easy...he signed the contract when no one else would. It was British Strong Style and Wolfgang that took the big risk and they were rewarding all in kind.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:47 pm

I think I understand Gallus' music because it sounds like seedy biker bar music and Wolfgang owns a bar/pub.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Mysterio/Andrade was great and I think the hype certainly did exceed the quality of the match. However, I think it's less that it's a rare great match in a desert of bad ones (whether anyone agrees or not, SDL has been consistently good for a while) than it's someone people have been yearning to be pushed (Andrade) and someone they consistently love (Rey) that causes the overreaction.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:54 pm

- Re: "The TongueBiter is a horrible indy gimmick"

Better than being The Underbiter...THAT would earn some scorn.

- You know what's funny about the ZipRecruiter plug? I suspect that Joe understands and is into the bit, but still might legit try to answer the questions, because he's impulsive and "trying to banter" like that.

- the Rey vs. Almas discussion felt like it went a lot longer than I thought it would, given it was not "far and away, one of the greatest WWE TV matches ever".

- RE: "the next time we do Rich & Joe Recommend Matches to Each Other..."

You know when you'll do that show again? When FCP: Tokyo Project shows up online in unscrupulous places...

- RE: the Adam Cole vs. Joe Connors comparison

I got one for ya, that Rich might appreciate: Connors is one of those PS1 demo discs to a bunch of different games that you would get if you bought certain meals from Pizza Hut years and years ago; Cole is one of those games as a complete/finished product.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 pm

The "still waiting on Rush to crack ***1/4" thing is just a gentle reminder of how people can approach and appreciate wrestling in completely different ways. Some people love the greatest brawler in the world who can get heat with any crowd despite being a mega star to the level where he gets pops for taking off his shirt. Other people think SANADA is good. It's diversity that makes us great folks.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 am

armsofsleep wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 pm
The "still waiting on Rush to crack ***1/4" thing is just a gentle reminder of how people can approach and appreciate wrestling in completely different ways. Some people love the greatest brawler in the world who can get heat with any crowd despite being a mega star to the level where he gets pops for taking off his shirt. Other people think SANADA is good. It's diversity that makes us great folks.
I don't watch Lucha beyond parachuting in once in a while per year. But I don't get Rush either. Obviously he has charisma and marketable build. Always seems like people are afraid for speak truthfully about him as he's a thing on Twitter. He seem lost in the Strickland match.

Watched both his MLW and ROH matches this week. Don't understand the bidding war in ring wise. I get business, demographic and politics reasons for it.

If he doesn't get over in ROH I can't easily see people blaming everything other than him. But if he is half as good as people say he should. If he is a WON HOFer he should.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 pm

rovert wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 am
armsofsleep wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 pm
I don't watch Lucha beyond parachuting in once in a while per year. But I don't get Rush either. Obviously he has charisma and marketable build. Always seems like people are afraid for speak truthfully about him as he's a thing on Twitter. He seem lost in the Strickland match.

Watched both his MLW and ROH matches this week. Don't understand the bidding war in ring wise. I get business, demographic and politics reasons for it.

If he doesn't get over in ROH I can't easily see people blaming everything other than him. But if he is half as good as people say he should. If he is a WON HOFer he should.

I think the way he approaches matches is just always going to be antithetical to the way modern workrate fans look at matches. Not that he can't do great workrate stuff, because he can. But he's always worried first about getting heat, playing to the crowd, getting his storyline over, cutting promos, etc.

I don't think it's blasphemous to compare him to someone like Cena. He's never going to be the greatest workrate guy on any roster. But he's a great worker in his own way, and his charisma and total package really make him an overall great wrestler. An even better comparison might be Shinsuke Nakamura, where for the most part, the way they both coast at times and rely on charisma is better suited for their home promotions than anywhere in the US. But people who see them outside of that context tend to wonder what the big deal is.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
same. I'm old and senile

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Frickin' Baby Boomers. Daniel Bryan was right.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 am

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 pm
Joe Lanza wrote:
same. I'm old and senile
Cagematch is your friend.