VOW Flagship: NXT UK Deals, WALTER & Your Questions!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: NXT UK Deals, WALTER & Your Questions!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:29 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast Joe and Rich discuss the new NXT UK deals, what it means for the European wrestling scene and what happens next. The topic then moves onto the news of WALTER signing with NXT/WWE and how his deal differs from the others and how the looming All Elite Wrestling could be influencing the signings as well as a discussion on the need for new stars in the US indie scene.

Lastly, a jump into the mailbag and listener questions including WWE's foothold in Japan, what happens in NJPW if The Elite leave, "Let's Name Some Old NHL guys" and much more.

Support our sponsor GRAPPL!
Download the new wrestling rating app today on the App Store or Google Play

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7103843-vow ... stions.mp3

Danwaka

Re: VOW Flagship: NXT UK Deals, WALTER & Your Questions!

Post by Danwaka » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Skipped ahead to see if the food question got answered. Happy at getting a rise out of Joe with that one as a light closer to the episode. Still gonna say hotdogs and wraps are sandwiches, though. Cereal = Soup is a new one to me.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 pm

RE: the Stars argument, it’s shocking just how little promoters watch outside of their own promotion. They spend their time livetweeting Raw instead of watching promotions with guys they could actually use! It’s baffling.

Ask any lucha fan, Puma King and Bandido we’re not the best prospects out of Mexico. Hell, neither were Penta and Fenix! There is a deep deep well of talent that promoters just completely ignore. It’s, like you said, a market inefficiency. And it’s not like these are Japanese guys or hugely expensive imports, they live on your same continent!

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 pm

Perhaps it's a coincidence, but I feel like the promotions that stream on Powerbomb.tv seem to do a good job of fostering less national wrestler centric rosters or at least have sufficient core guys that I wouldn't expect to leave for/be wanted by WWE in the near future. Freelance, Beyond, BLP (just to name the ones I watch regularly) all have done a good job in 2018 not being so reliant on national guys that I don't expect much, if any, drop off post January. Now, that might change because the bigger indies/smaller corporate owned companies may start looking to them for talent and then they will need to rebuild. But by way of example, Freelance has their final show of 2018 coming up in two weeks and it's a pretty loaded show with only one guy who is national tv (Ethan Page) and two others who are beholden to bigger indies (James Drake and Anthony Henry).

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:51 am

Now I'm wondering if this hoopla concerning people leaving for WWE January is overblown with a few stories coming out of the Observer. Turns out Silas Young is staying with ROH despite reports 2 weeks ago that was for sure leaving. Meltzer also seems to debunk the Strickland to WWE stories. It seems like ACH and Trevor Lee are the two biggest names reporting to the PC in a month. Both are great talents, but this is hardly a death blow to the indies like it's been portrayed.

EvandroFurtado

Post by EvandroFurtado » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:11 am

I still think we should be excited. This is the moment where people need to start to step up their game to survive. It's very simple: work hard or die. Joe is right, we all saw it coming and there are no excuses. They should have been ready for this but no one was working on creating new talent. Yes, the big stars are gone now, but that was always WWE's strategy. Poor old Verne Gagne went through that and lots before and after.

Anyways, having this guys signing is not a good thing because we're still going to have good wrestling. Well, at least until these people go to the main roster. I am one of the people who love the "Johnny Gargano melodramatic bullshit" so NXT is perfect for me right now. No complaints there.

I am excited about this AEW thing although I have a weird feeling that this might be another SWS. Well, let's hope for the better. Anyway, it's competition, and I am all for it.

About the NXT Japan thing, I think NOAH is the logic path here. I don't think that KENTA thing was a one time only thing that happened for no reason. I don't think they will get any New Japan talent, but maybe we will have Sekimoto and other guys who have no real ties to a single company.

There are no reasons to be worried about 2019. As professional wrestling fans we should be excited.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:02 am

EvandroFurtado wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:11 am
About the NXT Japan thing, I think NOAH is the logic path here. I don't think that KENTA thing was a one time only thing that happened for no reason. I don't think they will get any New Japan talent, but maybe we will have Sekimoto and other guys who have no real ties to a single company.
saying daisuke sekimoto has “no real ties to a single company” makes about as much sense as saying triple H doesn’t. the only way he ever leaves big japan is if it folds

the only logical path for them in japan is buying a promotion (probably need to buy at least two promotions if they want a women’s division, and honestly maybe even more than that if they want some kind of massive roster). too many people with too much loyalty to their home companies, and there aren’t as many true freelancers as you probably think

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:53 am

PWG didn't just book Bandido when he has almost no name value, they booked Trevor Lee when no one outside of North Carolina knew who he was. They were the first US promotion to feature the UK guys and bring out Scurll and Ospreay. They brought out the Aussies too. I'm not saying PWG's booking is super complex, but if Dragon sees a guy he likes, he's bringing him out, and it's not always guys with a name.

As far as guys who could be big Indy names, Jungle Boy is a guy that should be booked more places. I think eventually he needs a new look and gimmick, but as far as potential I see him as possibly having Ospreay or Ricochet ceiling. For the past year he has been wasted working APW undercards. He hasn't broken out as like Stunt has when he worked GCW, but I firmly believe he has more potential than Marko, and after Spring Break I'll bet he is everywhere. I'll bet anything Jungle Boy works BOLA this year.

The other California guy who should be everywhere is Jake Atlas, to me these are the two top prospects in California and fucking nobody is pushing them.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:41 am

Shithouses the pair of you! Ha. Will be back in March don't worry.

Briscoes without a doubt an all time tag team. Would have them behind the Bucks but not sure who else

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:23 pm

With all the signings are the Wrestlemania Week shows just going to be Chikara students main evented by Stockley, Orange Cassidy, and Nick Gage?
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 am

Tim_dawg wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:53 am
PWG didn't just book Bandido when he has almost no name value, they booked Trevor Lee when no one outside of North Carolina knew who he was. They were the first US promotion to feature the UK guys and bring out Scurll and Ospreay. They brought out the Aussies too. I'm not saying PWG's booking is super complex, but if Dragon sees a guy he likes, he's bringing him out, and it's not always guys with a name.

As far as guys who could be big Indy names, Jungle Boy is a guy that should be booked more places. I think eventually he needs a new look and gimmick, but as far as potential I see him as possibly having Ospreay or Ricochet ceiling. For the past year he has been wasted working APW undercards. He hasn't broken out as like Stunt has when he worked GCW, but I firmly believe he has more potential than Marko, and after Spring Break I'll bet he is everywhere. I'll bet anything Jungle Boy works BOLA this year.

The other California guy who should be everywhere is Jake Atlas, to me these are the two top prospects in California and fucking nobody is pushing them.
PWG was also the first to give Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole runs as legit top guys.

Zack Sabre Jr. got the rocket pack put on him by both PWG and RevPro right around the same time.

These guys were already established, but were given that boost to being MADE guys in PWG.

While already booked at the top elsewhere, Jeff Cobb kind of getting that push and rub in PWG now...he's a guy that can definitely fill the vacuum in the short term...but surely he's getting signed soon.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:27 pm

So the path of a wrestler is now a circle:

Get trained at small school
Work crap shows
Move to bigger area, bigger school, work better indies
Get signed to ROH/NJPW/Impact/CMLL/MLW
Build your name
Work PWG or All In
Get signed to NXT
Work the largo loop for NXT house shows
Get on NXT TV
After HHH targets another territory , get farmed to local "partner" promotion, which might be where you worked already
HHH annexes that territory and puts an NXT sub brand there
Work for NXT: Territory

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:54 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 am
Tim_dawg wrote:

PWG was also the first to give Kyle O'Reilly and Adam Cole runs as legit top guys.

Zack Sabre Jr. got the rocket pack put on him by both PWG and RevPro right around the same time.

These guys were already established, but were given that boost to being MADE guys in PWG.

While already booked at the top elsewhere, Jeff Cobb kind of getting that push and rub in PWG now...he's a guy that can definitely fill the vacuum in the short term...but surely he's getting signed soon.
he’s already been signed to ROH. believe he can no longer take any indie dates starting in january, but someone else can correct me if i’m wrong.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:51 am

OptionZero wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:27 pm
So the path of a wrestler is now a circle:

Get trained at small school
Work crap shows
Move to bigger area, bigger school, work better indies
You are forgetting co-opting influential fans and journalists around this time.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:25 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 am
Tim_dawg wrote:

Same deal with Speedball Mike Bailey. He was working Canadian Indies, PWG brings him in, has him go to the Finals of BOLA with Chris Hero and Zack Sabre Jr, and now he's working all over the world. The dude just wrestled PAC for RevPro. There's absolutely zero chance that'd happen if PWG hadn't brought him in and gotten eyes on him.