VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Finals, Jeff Jarrett, SummerSlam & TakeOver

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Finals, Jeff Jarrett, SummerSlam & TakeOver

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling flagship: our final thoughts on Dave Meltzer vs. Peyton Royce, why Jeff Jarrett is the greatest business man of all-time, our NJPW G1 Climax 28 wrap-up including thoughts on both Block finals and the G1 Finals between Tanahashi and Ibushi, what's next for Tetsuya Naito and if Tanahashi is at risk of losing the briefcase. 

Last but not least, we preview WWE SummerSlam 2018 and NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn IV. One show we're really looking forward to. The other not so much. 

We did run out of time this week so we have an episode of The Overrun airing on http://patreon.com/voicesofwrestling talking EVOLVE/PROGRESS weekends, Joey Janela's Lost in New York and Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart memories.

Support our sponsor Dollar Shave Club:

Get started with The Club today at http://dollarshaveclub.com/voices.

Find us on:

Apple Podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/voic ... 53459?mt=2
Google Play: http://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps ... pzbwrgqfoe
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/7mJQHcZXK23EZlDho5CoiZ
iHeart Radio: http://iheart.com/show/270-voices-of-wrestling
Stitcher: http://stitcher.com/podcast/voices-of-wrestling
TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/Voices-of-Wrestling-p677346/
Deezer: http://deezer.com/show/54369
CastBox: http://castbox.fm/channel/Voices-of-Wrestling-id1104953
RadioPublic: http://radiopublic.com/voices-of-wrestling-GZzZpE

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/6974928-vow ... keover.mp3

armsofsleep

Re: VOW Flagship: G1 Climax Finals, Jeff Jarrett, SummerSlam & TakeOver

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:54 pm

If you really can't do anymore Meltzer/Peyton Royce discussion, skip to around 25 minutes.

Do recommend catching atleast the second half of it though because it turns more into a discussion of the WON's influence on modern wrestling/how many current wrestlers actually follow it.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:36 pm

For those who downloaded the original file there's some weird corruption error that starts at 2:05 and overlays two pieces of audio and it's complete madness. I'm fixing it now so just refresh in about 20 minutes and you should get the updated file. Sorry about that. No clue what happened.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:53 am

Lanza is the biggest SHAYNA BASZLER fan? I recall a hot take from Lanza that said Sonia Deville was better and more believable as an MMA Gal than a legit fighter in Baszler.

You need to check the logs, brother. This guy is driving the Shayna Joe bandwagon. You can ride in the trunk.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:37 am

BoxingRobes wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:53 am
Lanza is the biggest SHAYNA BASZLER fan? I recall a hot take from Lanza that said Sonia Deville was better and more believable as an MMA Gal than a legit fighter in Baszler.

You need to check the logs, brother. This guy is driving the Shayna Joe bandwagon. You can ride in the trunk.
I'm with Robes on this one. Joe have a turn around in the Overrun or something?

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:18 pm

As part of the K-DOJO lunatic fringe, I would impulsively fight you on the whole "K-DOJO isn't a real promotion" talking point; however, I have come to understand that, given how long K-DOJO has been running in Chiba Blue Field now, TAKA probably thinks of his outfit the same way as you guys discuss here. Also, I have always felt the promotion has been chock-full of guys 'n' gals who could go out and achieve bigger things in wrestling, with only a couple of hiccups along the way (Yoshihiro Horiguchi being the most notable one these days). I WANT to see these guys sign with, or at least be regular guests, in other promotions and rule the fucking world, because as a whole (and I'm counting TAKA himself as a part of this equation) I know they can. Hell, in some ways they already have--look at at how many alums already are firmly entrenched in other promotions (or in Yasu Urano's case, was until fairly recently); look at how Yuji Hino kills it pretty much anywhere he goes; look at how often these guys are guesting in other places now (Yoshida as you pointed out, the remnants of SFU in All Japan right now); you *know* that Mashimo will be coming back to do more stuff in All Japan at some point.

As someone who has been following K-DOJO for as long as I have been following puro, I was happy to hear them get at least a few minutes of your time this week, much as I always appreciate when they get some time on any ring they step into (that makes tape).

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:37 am
BoxingRobes wrote:

End of the episode he calls himself the biggest Shayna fan on God's Green Earth.

Been puffing her up (rightfully so) on the TV Reviews...but now he's gone too far like a real jabroni mark.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:03 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:30 pm
Danwaka wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:

End of the episode he calls himself the biggest Shayna fan on God's Green Earth.

Been puffing her up (rightfully so) on the TV Reviews...but now he's gone too far like a real jabroni mark.
Shayna wasn't great at the MYC. Can't dig your heels in on things. She's awesome now.

Sonya may as well not exist at this point. Lost in the sea of the main roster, doing nothing anyone could possibly care about, likely destined to go nowhere as the third string REAL FIGHTER, or headed for a bad gimmick change.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:03 pm
BoxingRobes wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:30 pm
Danwaka wrote:

Shayna wasn't great at the MYC. Can't dig your heels in on things. She's awesome now.

Sonya may as well not exist at this point. Lost in the sea of the main roster, doing nothing anyone could possibly care about, likely destined to go nowhere as the third string REAL FIGHTER, or headed for a bad gimmick change.
If you want in on the bandwagon, just say so...we got room in the trunk, pal.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 am

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:18 pm
As part of the K-DOJO lunatic fringe, I would impulsively fight you on the whole "K-DOJO isn't a real promotion" talking point; however, I have come to understand that, given how long K-DOJO has been running in Chiba Blue Field now, TAKA probably thinks of his outfit the same way as you guys discuss here.

Also, I have always felt the promotion has been chock-full of guys 'n' gals who could go out and achieve bigger things in wrestling, with only a couple of hiccups along the way (Yoshihiro Horiguchi being the most notable one these days). I WANT to see these guys sign with, or at least be regular guests, in other promotions and rule the fucking world, because as a whole (and I'm counting TAKA himself as a part of this equation) I know they can.

Hell, in some ways they already have--look at at how many alums already are firmly entrenched in other promotions (or in Yasu Urano's case, was until fairly recently); look at how Yuji Hino kills it pretty much anywhere he goes; look at how often these guys are guesting in other places now (Yoshida as you pointed out, the remnants of SFU in All Japan right now); you *know* that Mashimo will be coming back to do more stuff in All Japan at some point.

As someone who has been following K-DOJO for as long as I have been following puro, I was happy to hear them get at least a few minutes of your time this week, much as I always appreciate when they get some time on any ring they step into (that makes tape).
K-Dojo confuses me. They run well enough in Tokyo, but over in Chiba their shows run like 75 people an event. And this is like, fifteen years into the company lifespan. Their guys have worked most promotions in Japan. Their owner is a genuine legend of the American and Japanese scenes. How is it not more successful than it is?

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 pm

I really don't think Baron Corbin got a $28 dress shirt from Kohls(at least not where I live), if he did he found one hell of a deal. Kohls is like the more expensive version of Target, it's pretty much in between Target and Macy's prices.

Also K-DOJO is the only Japanese promotion good enough for Championship Wrestling From Hollywood wrestler "American Thunder" Dicky Mayer. I think it deserves some respect.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 am

Tim_dawg wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 pm
I really don't think Baron Corbin got a $28 dress shirt from Kohls(at least not where I live), if he did he found one hell of a deal. Kohls is like the more expensive version of Target, it's pretty much in between Target and Macy's prices.

Also K-DOJO is the only Japanese promotion good enough for Championship Wrestling From Hollywood wrestler "American Thunder" Dicky Mayer. I think it deserves some respect.
Kohl's sells like Croft and Barrow, Van Heusen, Sonoma, Arrow, IZOD, and other in-house brands. They are the definition of $28 dress shirts. Can get that shit on sale for $15 if you wait long enough.

The CONSTABLE has a more form fitted button down then what Kohl's can provide. Perhaps he's got that PROPER CLOTH?

Speaking of...why hasn't the FLAGSHIP gotten involved with Prop Cloth? hmm.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 am

So I just went to my local Kohls to get prices on dress shirts. What I found was very interesting. First of all, I overestimated the price of shirts at Kohls. Yes, there are some as high as $60, but that is not close to the average cost. I will also say, there were shirts on clearance cheaper than $28. But as far as shirts in plastic cases or displayed on shelves:

Croft & Barrow: majority of shirts I found were $32.00, I found a couple on sale for $21.99, and the ones in the box were $50 with a tie.

IZOD: $34.99-$60

Van Heusen: $45-$55

Now we get to the interesting info, this blew my mind...

Apt 9: $19.99-$27.99

Marc Anthony: $27.99-$39.99

Joe said Constable Corbin bought a $28 dress shirt at Kohls, well Kohls sells shirts for $27.99 Joe was ONE FUCKING CENT off from the actual cost of two brands of shirts. Assuming Joe's info is correct(haven't watched WWE in a while, so I can't speak to the quality of Corbin's shirt) and the Constable purchased a high end Apt 9 shirt or a low end Marc Anthony shirt, he did indeed buy a $28 shirt from Kohls. Very impressive of Mr. Lanza.

Van Heusen is out of Corbin's price range.

Also, Kohls has a sale on socks, buy one 3 pack and get a second pack half off, not related, but I need new socks, and I got excited when I saw that.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:23 pm

The thing with Kohls, at least in my area, is fucking everything is on sale and even if you don't have coupons they always scan them for you when you check out. So I may think I have $90 worth of dress shirts in my hand but somehow due to their magic and willingness to not make money I end up walking out with like four shirts for $30.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Those numbers you're quoting surprise me. I probably paid half again that for just two dress shirts (albeit fitted rather than off the rock).