VOW Flagship: Dominion Review, Okada/Omega, MITB, NXT & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
supersonic

Re: VOW Flagship: Dominion Review, Okada/Omega, MITB, NXT & more!

Post by supersonic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:59 am

BoxingRobes wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:I'll cop to some hyperbole from time to time. You try to avoid it but it's impossible when you're shooting from the hip sometimes.

With that said, tbf, if there were people ranking your comparison point, Shots Umino, in the Top 50 wrestlers in the world for 2017, I'd call him overrated just the same. But nobody is doing that. Of course, this could just be a bubble thing and I'm ranting against fringe minorities. I'll cop to doing that from time to time, too.
This man just wore PRINCE PUMA pants for this match.

The man is underrated.

Seriously though, I am curious if you could name five wrestlers all-time that have a better match quality resume than Dream @ 22 years old...and I will fully agree with you on your actual criticisms...because he does have a habit of botching and he does lose steam after about 10 minutes. But he offsets that with a mastery of his character that is incredibly rare for anyone at any age. He's got a lot of the little things down that is simply missing in many WWE wrestlers today.
I'll take on that 22-and-under challenge:

The Briscoes
Bryan Danielson
Paul London (turned 23 just a few days after Epic Encounter)
Jay Lethal
Katsuhiko Nakajima
Jimmy Jacobs
Alex Shelley
Seth Rollins
Roderick Strong
Kevin Steen
El Generico
Low Ki

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:48 am

I don't want to nitpick the list...but just off a first glance, there are some hard nos on there from me. Also a few that I think are getting nudged up because they eventually became really f'n good over having a good resume before they were 23 years old.

Three that standout to me from your list...Danielson, Nakajima and Generico.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:55 am

supersonic wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:I'll cop to some hyperbole from time to time. You try to avoid it but it's impossible when you're shooting from the hip sometimes.

With that said, tbf, if there were people ranking your comparison point, Shots Umino, in the Top 50 wrestlers in the world for 2017, I'd call him overrated just the same. But nobody is doing that. Of course, this could just be a bubble thing and I'm ranting against fringe minorities. I'll cop to doing that from time to time, too.
This man just wore PRINCE PUMA pants for this match.

The man is underrated.

Seriously though, I am curious if you could name five wrestlers all-time that have a better match quality resume than Dream @ 22 years old...and I will fully agree with you on your actual criticisms...because he does have a habit of botching and he does lose steam after about 10 minutes. But he offsets that with a mastery of his character that is incredibly rare for anyone at any age. He's got a lot of the little things down that is simply missing in many WWE wrestlers today.
I'll take on that 22-and-under challenge:

The Briscoes
Bryan Danielson
Paul London (turned 23 just a few days after Epic Encounter)
Jay Lethal
Katsuhiko Nakajima
Jimmy Jacobs
Alex Shelley
Seth Rollins
Roderick Strong
Kevin Steen
El Generico
Low Ki
Here are some other guys that I would also consider(I'm not saying they're definitely better, but they probably need some consideration at least):
KENTA (turned 23 in March 2004)
Dragon Lee(turned 23 this year like 3 days before BOSJ)
Will Ospreay (turned 23 a few days before BOSJ in 2016)
Tyler Bate (is going to turn 23 in like 2 years)
Chris Sabin (early 2005)
Jeff Hardy (turned 23 after the Summerslam TLC match)
Rey Mysterio Jr (turned 23 like 2 months after Halloween Havoc 1997)
Dynamite Kid (somewhere like late 1981, which would already have Bret matches from Stampede and first Sayama match)
Terry Gordy (I'm not really a World Class guy, but dude turned 23 like 2 years into Von Erichs feud, so WCCW experts would need to clarify that)
Nick Jackson(mid 2012)
Ricochet(late 2011)
Manami Toyota(March 1994 - by that time she had like 10 5* matches on Meltzer Scale. I'm not taking it as the absolute truth, but at least it means that she was quite good)
Crush Gals
Probably tons of other joshi girls from 80s and 90s since most of them started when they were 16