VOW Flagship: Okada/Tanahashi, Backlash, State of ROH & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
BlizzardAcolyte

Re: VOW Flagship: Okada/Tanahashi, Backlash, State of ROH & more!

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun May 13, 2018 2:42 pm

- RE: "Why are we treating that as a negative?" This is one of those rare occasions where I lament not having any real social media presence. While it is a rhetorical question, I would LOVE to see those same people that jumped on those ticket sales and their responses to said question...if they were aware that the question was being "asked", you know they would be quick to answer it, looking for a fight basically.

- RE: "The All 90s Podcast is coming back soon!" I fully believe you! I would also like to take this time to state that I own a solid gold house...

- RE: WWE's MOTY 2018 output so far, while I doubt it was your intention, this discussion at the very minimum encouraged me to go back and begin reading the 2017 listings again, as opposed to merely skimming them. I was curious to see if, whether or not WWE was well-represented at the top half of the listings, it at least had some good representation in the rest of the listings. So, good job by you on that.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun May 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:Also quick one for Joe. You originally had Reigns v Lesnar at ****1/2 so would that not be your wwe match of the year? Or have you retracted that opinion since?

Also got me thinking what my wwe match of the year was and in not counting 205 as I include that with NXT in not being main roster I think it would also be the Rousey Mania match which is utterly ridiculous in May.
I didn't bring up Brock/Roman because I think I was the only person on Earth who liked it. I have no problem accepting when im the outlier.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Omega had a bunch of really good Jr. title defenses that no one remembers. The Taguchi matches were the bad outliers. Alex Shelley, Matt Sydal, Gran Metallik, and 2/3 KUSHIDA matches were all great. The Jr. title has been pretty much great since KUSHIDA won it from him the final time.

But Ospreay has elevated it even more. This run is legendary, for any title.

I thought the finish to the KUSHIDA/Ospreay match was perfect in the same way the finish to Okada/Tanahashi was perfect. With the added caveat that Ospreay developed a new move (The Stormbreaker) especially to defeat KUSHIDA.
Last edited by Lawsoncomedy on Sun May 13, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 pm

GuestTimekeeper wrote:This Okada/Tana match getting 5.5 stars is like Return of the King winning Best Picture at the Oscars. I think everyone understands that RotK was not the best of the trilogy, but that the award is being given for the whole series. And while it might look a little funny in a list of Oscar winners, I don't think anyone is going to watch it by itself only.

Great comparison.

Wiretaup

Post by Wiretaup » Mon May 14, 2018 1:58 pm

I know this sorta thing isn’t really done, but I think WWE’s MOTY would be the men’s Royal Rumble. Probably their best overall show too.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon May 14, 2018 2:29 pm

You stan the oddest people. First Brad Shepard now the NWO truther.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon May 14, 2018 4:31 pm

rovert wrote:
You stan the oddest people. First Brad Shepard now the NWO truther.
Following Lanza’s lead, in which he went straight for the gray, purple, and sea green categories by addressing the topic at hand, rather than your fallacious trolling bullshit that belongs in the orange and pink categories, would be your friend.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon May 14, 2018 5:37 pm

So that's a yes.

People are walking out of Reigns matches and the ratings are super soft. One look at the crowd tells you he isn't moving merch at top guy levels.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon May 14, 2018 6:30 pm

rovert wrote:So that's a yes.

People are walking out of Reigns matches and the ratings are super soft. One look at the crowd tells you he isn't moving merch at top guy levels.
Last I heard he sells merch on par with Styles. In addition. I’d wanna see a bigger pattern of walking out. So far it’s an anomaly, and although there’s nothing wrong with how the Superdome crowd acted, that should be treated as an extreme outlier for now.

TV ratings are soft across the board, and to place any significant blame on a valuable commodity like Reigns is a reach. This isn’t Jinder Mahal we’re discussing, who very likely would still bomb even with peak Bill Watts booking him due to very glaring weaknesses. If anything, the attempt for full-time sympathy and constant pussyfooting around with Reigns slaying Lesnar should be more closely analyzed, as I sense that although the audience would still resent Reigns for quite some time, deep down the audience is ready for a new Universal Title direction, as well as Lesnar going back to a nontitle special attraction against fresh opponents like Lashley, Danielson, etc.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm

The alleged walkout at Backlash was overexagerated. I had a pretty good view of about 3/4 of the arena and few folks left from what I could see.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 pm

The alleged walkout at Backlash was overexagerated. I had a pretty good view of about 3/4 of the arena and few folks left from what I could see.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 am

re: Ring of Honor

They have a good roster...better than what say...Twitter gave it credit for.

Its just...old and not in anything compelling. The ring work also, for the talent they have...is...lacking.

But the roster...on its face...is good from the top of the card to the midcard...

To be fair, there is nothing underneath and nothing coming up. Just recycling the same old folks they have for the past 5 years.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed May 16, 2018 12:35 pm

ROH needs to do a better job of leveraging their partnerships too. Like, I know it's not all their choice, but why in the world would you let Chris Sabin be your rep to BOSJ? You should be sending as many young guys as possible so they can get over with a bigger audience. Flip Gordon was a good choice (even though I personally think he fucking sucks) but come on, get Gresham out there, he'll produce a few **** matches and get people talking, then he comes back to ROH and he's more over.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed May 16, 2018 1:35 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:re: Ring of Honor

They have a good roster...better than what say...Twitter gave it credit for.

Its just...old and not in anything compelling. The ring work also, for the talent they have...is...lacking.

But the roster...on its face...is good from the top of the card to the midcard...

To be fair, there is nothing underneath and nothing coming up. Just recycling the same old folks they have for the past 5 years.
They are going to get so buried for the 4 hour TV taping I had to sit through this Sunday.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm

TBF I would have laughed if you went to the press conference but not the tapings.