VOW Flagship: Okada/Tanahashi, Backlash, State of ROH & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Okada/Tanahashi, Backlash, State of ROH & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri May 11, 2018 1:49 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast Joe and Rich review NJPW's two Wrestling Dontaku shows including what is likely the final chapter of Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi's historic rivalry, callback throughout the match and why Dave Meltzer's 5.5 star rating does a disservice to the match. 

Other topics include a review of WWE Backlash 2018, a discussion on WWE main roster output woes, Rich's crazy indie show weekend including Warrior Wrestling, Game Changer Wrestling, Ring of Honor and the All-In Press Conference. Lastly, we review results of a recent ROH-centric Twitter poll we conducted. 

Support our sponsor Dollar Shave Club

For just five bucks, you can get Dollar Shave Club's Daily Essentials Starter Set. Get started today at http://dollarshaveclub.com/voices

Support our sponsor ForHims

Voices of Wrestling listeners get a free trial month for just $5 right now at http://www.forhims.com/VOW

Support the VOW Flagship on Patreon

Visit http://www.patreon.com/voicesofwrestling to see what content we're offering for your support.

Find us on:

Apple Podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/voic ... 53459?mt=2
Google Play: http://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps ... pzbwrgqfoe
iHeart Radio: http://iheart.com/show/270-voices-of-wrestling
Stitcher: http://stitcher.com/podcast/voices-of-wrestling
TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/Voices-of-Wrestling-p677346/
Deezer: http://deezer.com/show/54369

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/6852024-vow ... h-more.mp3

armsofsleep

Re: VOW Flagship: Okada/Tanahashi, Backlash, State of ROH & more!

Post by armsofsleep » Fri May 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Do you guys really think that this is the last match in the rivalry? We are definitely going to get a few more G1 matches AT LEAST.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri May 11, 2018 5:13 pm

armsofsleep wrote:Do you guys really think that this is the last match in the rivalry? We are definitely going to get a few more G1 matches AT LEAST.
I'm 100% certain they'll wrestle again. But this match was clearly representative of the end of their story that began at New Beginning 2012

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Fri May 11, 2018 6:58 pm

This Okada/Tana match getting 5.5 stars is like Return of the King winning Best Picture at the Oscars. I think everyone understands that RotK was not the best of the trilogy, but that the award is being given for the whole series. And while it might look a little funny in a list of Oscar winners, I don't think anyone is going to watch it by itself only.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Fri May 11, 2018 8:41 pm

IMO if we get a Cow Palace card like:
IWGP Heavyweight Title Kenny Omega v Cody
IWGP Intercontinental Title Tetsuya Naito v Chris Jericho
IWGP U.S. Title Jay White v Juice Robinson or Hiroshi Tanahashi
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Title Will Ospreay v Rey Mysterio
NEVER Openweight Title Hirooki Goto v Zach Sabre Jr
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles Young Bucks v Kazuchika Okada and Yoshi-Hashi or Tomohiro Ishii

It’s a sellout and the secondary market explodes and it’s an unmitigated success.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:32 am

Great show lads. Blue Jays is because I lived in Toronto for a year when I was 4. Been a Jays fan forever

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Also quick one for Joe. You originally had Reigns v Lesnar at ****1/2 so would that not be your wwe match of the year? Or have you retracted that opinion since?

Also got me thinking what my wwe match of the year was and in not counting 205 as I include that with NXT in not being main roster I think it would also be the Rousey Mania match which is utterly ridiculous in May.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun May 13, 2018 12:01 am

Monday TV comment - re: Simon Gotch going by Simon Grimm but now Simon Gotch in MLW...WWE dropped the trademark for Simon Gotch, so he uses it freely now. Should give you the idea that they give no fucks to ever have this guy back.

re: Rich's comments on Roman not sticking up the "shit" he's put in...I agree 100%. If he had the balls to change this shit, he would. Most of this is on him at this point. Plenty of wrestlers have done far more with far worse and would do more with what Reigns has been gifted so far.

re: the 5.5* match ... I 100% agree with GuestTimeKeeper...its the RETURN OF THE KING of wrestling matches. IMO...great match, but not their best. Greatest rivalry and match series in our lifetimes. Laps everything else.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sun May 13, 2018 2:27 am

Ckkj14 wrote:Great show lads. Blue Jays is because I lived in Toronto for a year when I was 4. Been a Jays fan forever
Man the blue jays starting pitchers haven’t been great with Sanchez and Strowman not playing good and then osucuna going to get suspended
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:03 am

FilipPejic wrote:
Ckkj14 wrote:Great show lads. Blue Jays is because I lived in Toronto for a year when I was 4. Been a Jays fan forever
Man the blue jays starting pitchers haven’t been great with Sanchez and Strowman not playing good and then osucuna going to get suspended

Really thought our starting rotation would have been one of the best going this year but it's been the complete opposite. Shame as the bull pen was been outstanding. Still think we will be in the wildcard hunt most of the season. Be interesting to see if Vladdy Jr gets the call up too, lads a beast

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun May 13, 2018 2:00 pm

When can you supposed connoisseurs be expected to examine the YouTube viewing numbers that Reigns draws as compared to others? His metrics there are at times MASSIVELY high, and he tends to only be matched by part-timer segments.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun May 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Why is this any shock? He's always pushed at the top, he's controversial, and he's always the topic of conversation. But what does that ultimately mean? Show me house show data or TV ratings with similar disparity and we're cooking with gas.

Also that guy has always been a pretty irrational Roman defender. Right there in that very thread, he chastises someone for bringing up TV ratings because "none of us have access to internal company minute by minute data", yet cites merch sales, which...none of us have access to. In my limited interactions with him, it's usually the same kind of one sided discourse where he isn't fair whatsoever.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun May 13, 2018 2:31 pm

supersonic wrote:When can you supposed connoisseurs be expected to examine the YouTube viewing numbers that Reigns draws as compared to others? His metrics there are at times MASSIVELY high, and he tends to only be matched by part-timer segments.
First of all, Roman is clearly a star and popular among kids. Nobody has ever denied that. Call is out if you think we have. I think I've called him a Randy Orton level star roughly a billion times. This is not in dispute. Our argument is he's not a difference making superstar, which was ultimately the goal. And he never will be.

And again, Roman is consistently involved in top of the card stuff and controversial segments. Why wouldn't his YouTube shit do well? You don't think a huge chunk of that is people hearing he got shit on again and checking that out?

I see no evidence the portion of the audience who dislikes him are paying money to dislike him. At Mania, they shit on him. At Backlash, the crowd went mild when he won and quietly walked out. His house shows never show any sort of significant gap over the other tour. Is he a star? Sure. Would they be better served trying to rocket pack someone else and see what happens? I mean, c'mon. Of course.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun May 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Also Kavita Devi pretty much laps everyone in YouTube views. I'm not saying that stuff is useless, but be careful with it.