VOW Flagship: Twitter Stinks, Champion Carnival, Joe in NOLA

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
suplexberry

Re: VOW Flagship: Twitter Stinks, Champion Carnival, Joe in NOLA

Post by suplexberry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:16 am

Glad to have you guys back. Congrats on the matrimony, Joe. Happy belated 4/20, Rich.

Twitter tries to be better about context with the threaded tweets but then it gets worse with context with the non-linear /highlights timetime that chops your timeline up and serves a tweet from 18 hours ago next to one from 4 hours ago for no apparent reason. Besides the logistical issues, you guys know there's a lot of willful misinterpretation happening on there. I don't think you need to block those people but I also don't think you need to give them attention. I realize that's easier said than done - my mentions aren't constantly filled with snarky clapback of people either saying outrageously wrong things or just saying I suck or whatever. (In fact my mentions have been filled with ego-stroking praise since I wrote for the site this week.)

In some circles there's a term called anti-fan, antis for short. A person who is as passionate as a fan, but in hatred, not in love and admiration. You guys have somehow got both antis and fans, but I'd say the latter outnumber the former, so just ignore the former.

JJSB2 was great, even watching it sober in the morning Euro time was fun as fuck, but I would agree for the live crowd not to die they need to keep the order of the matches and length in mind next year. With that said, embracing the messiness of pro wrestling, including overlong shows, is kind of part and parcel of the Spring Break concept, but it's an easy thing to improve on and they should.

I totally feel Joe on the Gargano/Ciampa match. It was one of those matches I started watching feeling really excited to see the story conclusion but somewhere along the line the length and the pace just took me out of it. I often think about matches and immersion - when you are immersed, you follow every little nuance of the match and react to it because you're living through the story they are telling. This match just had zero of that for me, and even though I paid attention to it, it felt like I was outside of it all in a way I really did not want to be.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:48 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
SamoKuma wrote:And to answer to Joe's Question about Tomaso/Ciampa, i usually do watch any WWE no more , but i watched this Take over, and i found their bout the less fun of the entire show, by far.
the match was not meant to be fun. It was two wrestlers who hate one another. They were telling a very long form story that had callbacks to over two years of storyline.

Its the reason it was so long. I am not sure how - to Joe and Rich - you could say this match could have been cut...sped up maybe, as the PACE was a bit more methodical...but CUT...sorry, I can't agree to that.

I think all of this would have been cleaned up with Joe and Rich if they just watched it live.
Fun, thrilling, interesting, exiting... I can try to take the match on every way possible, and it still is boring to me.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:18 am

BoxingRobes wrote:Joe's NXT takes...

You need to stop making it a habit to miss appoint viewing. Every time you come in as the wet blanket on shit like NXT, its because you watch it after the fact or under poor conditions.

You watched the show in a car on yer damn cellphone. You need to pump da brakes on the takes if you're watching shit in such trash conditions. If its getting some general praise by a majority and you come in - after these conditions - as the wet blanket, maybe your take just kind of stinks or you missed why something was so good by watching it under conditions that were not the same as everyone else.

It really makes you lose objectivity for the takes.

I saw both the ROH ladder and NXT ladder match under the same conditions...unspoiled...and I have no idea how anyone could say that the ROH ladder match was even as close as the NXT match. Not saying the ROH match wasn't good, but we are talking Double A ball versus the major leagues in regard to quality to the two matches.
Yeah I gotta agree on this one. Watching live it was pretty apparent that the ladder match and Gargano/Ciampa were both very special matches.

I have to take particular umbrage with the idea that the ladder match had no story, when just about every character in the match had a story going on, Killian Dane and Lars Sullivan the most obviously. And I think saying, "It wasn't that crazy" is kind of missing the point, in that it sounds like you're just waiting for the highest of high spots and not engaging with the pacing, build and connective tissue of the match. All of which were on another level from just about any ladder match in history, imo.

Gargano and Ciampa isn't even my match of the month but nothing about watching it in the moment felt long.

I'd be curious to hear what matches you guys have seen spoiled and post-hype that still held up for you as well as it did for others. This is why I make sure to watch all of the Takeovers and big NJPW shows unspoiled.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:20 am

Also Rich congrats on discovering the Devil's Lettuce at this point in your life. Better late than never. ;)

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:Also Rich congrats on discovering the Devil's Lettuce at this point in your life. Better late than never. ;)
Edibles are the nice to your lungs way of enjoying said lettuce. Not that I would know.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:31 pm

RE: "Who low can we go to whore ourselves out?"

You could have the kids pop in on a podcast...or stream a WWE PPV livewatch at home. Just saying, people like to watch you guys and your families on video. I'm including the "kids" (the dogs), by the way.

RE: Twitter Stinks

I know you don't really have the option to run this site without an official Twitter handle (it's still a valuable tool for this growing city-state), but...consider it sometime, alright? I'm getting on fine without one, apparently.

RE: watching wrestling live with Alan and Suit

Next time some major WWE event comes into Boston or Worcester, would you two be able to fly in? I would love to have the live experience with you, and finally meet some VOW people in the process.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm with Joe on the ladder match; it was pretty good, but I wouldn't put it near 5 stars personally.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:21 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Lawsoncomedy wrote:Also Rich congrats on discovering the Devil's Lettuce at this point in your life. Better late than never. ;)
Edibles are the nice to your lungs way of enjoying said lettuce. Not that I would know.
Yes but make sure you time those out correctly. Also if you think to yourself, "It's not working. I should take some more", ignore that thought. It's a slow burn that lasts a while.

...is what my friends tell me.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:56 am

Lawsoncomedy wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
Yes but make sure you time those out correctly. Also if you think to yourself, "It's not working. I should take some more", ignore that thought. It's a slow burn that lasts a while.

...is what my friends tell me.
My friends have had similar experiences.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:16 pm

The NXT ladder match had a great flow to it that I don’t think I have seen from other multiman ladder matches. Sullivan vs Dain showdown, Ricochet showing off in spots, Cole and EC3’s alliance and ego combustion, the big dudes attempting to one up each by controlling the ring, Velveteen Dream being focused on stealing the spotlight than actually winning, All leading to Cole being crafty getting off the ladder jumble first. Really worked for me despite only having two or three crazy spots and Ricochet and Dream disappearing for long stretches.

I’m sorta in agreement on Ciampa v Gargano. Ciampa is clearly still a couple months away from 100%. This obviously slowed down the pace which did hurt the match. My biggest complaint was the reverse hurricarana botch. I usually don’t pick on botches to much but it was obvious that Ciampa physically couldn’t perform the move which made me feel bad Ciampa and took me completely out of the story of the match.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Twitter is wretched, but it's hard to unplug from my experience. The folks who quote tweet and start fights with regard to your words (or have fights started about them with theirs) are similar to the forum trolls on message boards. An inevitable and annoying price that must be paid.

Enjoyed the recap of Joe's Mania week regardless of how many weeks have passed since. The commentary on the state of ROH was spot on all around but it's still sad to me that the promotion that saved my wrestling fandom has passed me by. It would take a lot at this point for me to put me money towards a ticket or a renewal of my Honor Club subscription when it comes due. And it's not that ROH is bad now, but where they once had a monopoly on wrestling at that level, both in terms of talent and accessibility, that monopoly no longer exists and there are more compelling promotions with more interesting talent that I find worth my time and money. Clearly, especially Mania week, other definitely disagree with that.