VOW Flagship: Twitter Stinks, Champion Carnival, Joe in NOLA

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Twitter Stinks, Champion Carnival, Joe in NOLA

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Joe Lanza makes his long-awaited return to the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast joining Rich Kraetsch to talk about the latest news in pro wrestling including AJPW's stellar Champion Carnival tournament, his adventures in New Orleans, the latest on EVOLVE, Ring of Honor and Game Changer Wrestling and a rant on why Twitter stinks.

Support our sponsor Dollar Shave Club

For just five bucks, you can get Dollar Shave Club's Daily Essentials Starter Set. Get started today at http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/voices

Support the VOW Flagship on Patreon

Visit patreon.com/voicesofwrestling to see what content we're offering for your support.

Find us on:

Apple Podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/voic ... 53459?mt=2
Google Play: http://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps ... pzbwrgqfoe
iHeart Radio: http://iheart.com/show/270-voices-of-wrestling
Stitcher: http://stitcher.com/podcast/voices-of-wrestling
TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/Voices-of-Wrestling-p677346/
Deezer: http://deezer.com/show/54369

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/6829463-vow ... n-nola.mp3

Ckkj14

Re: VOW Flagship: Twitter Stinks, Champion Carnival, Joe in NOLA

Post by Ckkj14 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:10 am

Haha cheers for the shoutout! Also that fella who said he was going to piss on you was actually In New Orleans and you saw him?! Haha that's hillirious

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:00 am

God, Joe, We Missed You so Much. I liked how rich did the last two flagship with his guests, but there is no show without the two of you.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 am

And to answer to Joe's Question about Tomaso/Ciampa, i usually do watch any WWE no more , but i watched this Take over, and i found their bout the less fun of the entire show, by far.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm

I thought KAI was fine in the Carnival. The Akiyama and Suwama matches were pretty good and the rest was at least solid. He shouldn't be getting TC shots or anything but I think he's fine as a midcard guy, eventually reuniting with Mashimo once he returns and such.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Leo C wrote:I thought KAI was fine in the Carnival. The Akiyama and Suwama matches were pretty good and the rest was at least solid. He shouldn't be getting TC shots or anything but I think he's fine as a midcard guy, eventually reuniting with Mashimo once he returns and such.
I agree that he was largely fine. A lot of our criticism or "hate" on KAI comes from him being perceived or pushed to be the top star of a promotion. If he slowly evolves into simply solid midcard hand then my criticisms of him would definitely be lessened. I think that's an ideal role for him.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Leo C wrote:I thought KAI was fine in the Carnival. The Akiyama and Suwama matches were pretty good and the rest was at least solid. He shouldn't be getting TC shots or anything but I think he's fine as a midcard guy, eventually reuniting with Mashimo once he returns and such.
I agree that he was largely fine. A lot of our criticism or "hate" on KAI comes from him being perceived or pushed to be the top star of a promotion. If he slowly evolves into simply solid midcard hand then my criticisms of him would definitely be lessened. I think that's an ideal role for him.
I mean, it's 2018. The perception of KAI as a company ace has long since departed for pretty much everyone (unless it's FMW or something with Kazushi Miyamoto). I think it's safe to say that both Kento Miyahara and Shotaro Ashino have both surpassed him.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:30 pm

FINE is usually the perfect descriptor of KAI, but looking over the tournament I think I enjoyed him the least out of anyone aside from Yoshie. He's just a total bore.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 pm

I really do hope you guys just block some of the overly negative people.

I get that the flagship is basically sponsored by banter every week, but it can get a bit tiring when 40 minutes of every show is addressing points made by people clearly in bad faith. Like, we don't need a 20 minute breakdown of why the statement "The Miz is the greatest wrestler of this decade" is wrong. We know it's wrong.

This isn't really a criticism of you guys (or even the podcast, because its still entertaining) but I do think the show works better when you guys are both reviewing something and providing your own thoughts/criticism, not just responding to other thoughts/criticism that you guys think are dumb. Maybe curating the timeline a little bit would help too! Cause half the time when Joe is like "and I saw EVERYONE WAS DOUBTING THAT OKADA WOULD HAVE A GOOD MATCH" and I just think "who the hell are these guys following where they hear this dumb shit all the time?"

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Fun episode as always and Joe glad you're back.

A few takes on the twitter hate:

#1 We are in a world now where people will loathe someone just because they don't agree with some or any of what they other person thinks. This is stupid and I have never understood it. I, for one, do not agree with everything you all say on the podcast or on twitter and that's okay. I do get some satisfaction listening you guys go off on something I agree with however I also like hearing different sides of opinion as well. I think at the end of the day the people who get that upset are either wanting attention or feel that they have never had their opinion truly heard so they express it in the most negative way to get people to listen.

#2 For the people taking things out of context, your standard reply needs to be what Dave always says...."reading would be your friend." lol

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:FINE is usually the perfect descriptor of KAI, but looking over the tournament I think I enjoyed him the least out of anyone aside from Yoshie. He's just a total bore.
I'm still working through it myself, but I'm pretty much happy with KAI so far given my expectations and Yutaka is a nostalgia thing for me (I want an All-Asia tag match with Yoshitatsu against Akiyama and Nagata).

I'm honestly most annoyed that Marufuji didn't come in with a mission to bring it every single night. I mean, it's his first ever (and probably only) Champion Carnival, mostly fresh matchups, a lot of good meaty storytelling to get into... Where was that hardhitting NOAH fire Esbee was feeding us? Dunno, maybe I just expect more from Marufuji than I do Yutaka.

rollup

Post by rollup » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:32 pm

lol just on as i am listening to the podcast , Mr Satin comes up and shows why twitter is highly amusingly platform

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Joe's NXT takes...

You need to stop making it a habit to miss appoint viewing. Every time you come in as the wet blanket on shit like NXT, its because you watch it after the fact or under poor conditions.

You watched the show in a car on yer damn cellphone. You need to pump da brakes on the takes if you're watching shit in such trash conditions. If its getting some general praise by a majority and you come in - after these conditions - as the wet blanket, maybe your take just kind of stinks or you missed why something was so good by watching it under conditions that were not the same as everyone else.

It really makes you lose objectivity for the takes.

I saw both the ROH ladder and NXT ladder match under the same conditions...unspoiled...and I have no idea how anyone could say that the ROH ladder match was even as close as the NXT match. Not saying the ROH match wasn't good, but we are talking Double A ball versus the major leagues in regard to quality to the two matches.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:17 pm

SamoKuma wrote:And to answer to Joe's Question about Tomaso/Ciampa, i usually do watch any WWE no more , but i watched this Take over, and i found their bout the less fun of the entire show, by far.
the match was not meant to be fun. It was two wrestlers who hate one another. They were telling a very long form story that had callbacks to over two years of storyline.

Its the reason it was so long. I am not sure how - to Joe and Rich - you could say this match could have been cut...sped up maybe, as the PACE was a bit more methodical...but CUT...sorry, I can't agree to that.

I think all of this would have been cleaned up with Joe and Rich if they just watched it live.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:36 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Joe's NXT takes...

You need to stop making it a habit to miss appoint viewing. Every time you come in as the wet blanket on shit like NXT, its because you watch it after the fact or under poor conditions.

You watched the show in a car on yer damn cellphone. You need to pump da brakes on the takes if you're watching shit in such trash conditions. If its getting some general praise by a majority and you come in - after these conditions - as the wet blanket, maybe your take just kind of stinks or you missed why something was so good by watching it under conditions that were not the same as everyone else.

It really makes you lose objectivity for the takes.

I saw both the ROH ladder and NXT ladder match under the same conditions...unspoiled...and I have no idea how anyone could say that the ROH ladder match was even as close as the NXT match. Not saying the ROH match wasn't good, but we are talking Double A ball versus the major leagues in regard to quality to the two matches.
I don't think any of this is wrong. It's why I made the point that I watched in the car. Full disclosure where I was coming from.