VOW Flagship: Superstar Shakeup, Andre doc, WrestleMania & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Superstar Shakeup, Andre doc, WrestleMania & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm

This week on a special two-part edition of the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast:

Part 1 - Rich Kraetsch talks with Shake Them Ropes co-host Jeff Hawkins (http://www.twitter.com/crapgame13) about WWE's Superstar Shakeup, The Greatest Royal Rumble, HBO's Andre the Giant documentary and the unfortunate passing of both Bruno Sammartino and Paul Jones.

Part 2 - Rich Kraetsch welcomes back friend of the show, "The People's Rapper" Jon Connor (http://www.twitter.com/jonconnormusic) to talk his WrestleMania experience, thoughts on fans ruining the WrestleMania main event and much more! 

Support our sponsor Simple Contacts

Get $30 off your order at http://simplecontacts.com/vow or use promo code VOW at checkout.

Support our sponsor ZipRecruiter

VOW listeners can try ZipRecruiter for free by visiting http://ziprecruiter.com/vow.

Support the VOW Flagship on Patreon

Visit patreon.com/voicesofwrestling to see what content we're offering for your support.

Find us on:

Apple Podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/voic ... 53459?mt=2
Google Play: http://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps ... pzbwrgqfoe
iHeart Radio: http://iheart.com/show/270-voices-of-wrestling
Stitcher: http://stitcher.com/podcast/voices-of-wrestling
TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/Voices-of-Wrestling-p677346/
Deezer: http://deezer.com/show/54369

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/6820874-vow ... a-more.mp3

suplexberry

Re: VOW Flagship: Superstar Shakeup, Andre doc, WrestleMania & more!

Post by suplexberry » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:19 am

Have not finished listening yet, just wanted to once again say I love Hawkins' perspective on WWE, loved it back when I still watch and like hearing it even now when I don't watch (aside from the handful of NXT main events I check out). His analysis never feels too cynical but also it's not overly generous, like the observation about Vince casting according to type like an old-timey Hollywood studio boss feels very correct. It's not necessarily a bad thing but modern audiences dig a bit of nuance and are understandably uncomfortable with certain racialized or stereotypical heel archetypes.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:58 am

Great to have the flagship back lads!

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:23 pm

I laugh at you sometimes, Rich--I would love your WM takes now, since for me nothing you guys serve is ice-cold unless I ask for it that way. A little dry sometimes, yes--but never something I can pass up (like old pizza, coincidentally).

John's whole take was interesting, though I mostly expected him to say what he said. "What did you even come for?" The rest of the card, homie.
Last edited by BlizzardAcolyte on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:54 am

A really great episode and really great to have the Flagship back. Not that I won't be excited to have the traditional duo back next week (or whenever), but Jeff and Jon definitely added a refreshing change of pace and both segments were great.

Jon's live perspective on Mania was much appreciated (and not just because of his feelings on the main event).

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:45 am

Hawkins was great. Really enjoy his perspective. And agree about the GRR show.

The Flint water crisis is insane I had no idea that was still going on.

My co-host was also a Jinder Mahal holdout. I feel Jon's pain. Or maybe your pain, Rich, in this instance.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:57 am

Just finished the flagship I gotta say that after listening to Wrestlemania preview and this show, the way Rich sometimes adapts to his guest is kind of.. . strange. I'm saying that because Joe & Rich always bury WWE replica belt guys and Jon came off like ultimate wwe replica belt guy. Sometimes it was funny, like when he tried to be as excited about Kurt Angle Q & A or spending 1000 dollars in wwe shop at axxess. Despite that I have to say that I enjoyed it since I'm not used to listening to hardcore WWE main roster only fans (I assume it based on the places he went to this weekend) and it gives me a different perspective on WWE and the way people consume it. I personally prefered the part with Jeff, which I really liked. If I actually watched WWE every week I would probably listen to STR, but given that I just come for Takeovers and good matches from main roster PPVs, I just don't see the point.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:48 pm

The bad quality of the second part made it impossible to listen for me.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:52 pm

suplexberry wrote:Have not finished listening yet, just wanted to once again say I love Hawkins' perspective on WWE, loved it back when I still watch and like hearing it even now when I don't watch (aside from the handful of NXT main events I check out). His analysis never feels too cynical but also it's not overly generous, like the observation about Vince casting according to type like an old-timey Hollywood studio boss feels very correct. It's not necessarily a bad thing but modern audiences dig a bit of nuance and are understandably uncomfortable with certain racialized or stereotypical heel archetypes.
It's too bad that hawkins analysis are toned by the trollesque persona of his co host in shake em ropes. Guy has a good look at the industry.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Truly appreciate the compliments, given I live in a bit of a twitter bubble (and because I have to spend so much time over on another board...and I consistently forget my login here).

Rob keeps things light and fun, and by the middle of the week, most people have "hard" analysis through Dave, Wade, Pollock/Wei, Todd, Bruce, etc... It just depends on my mood. I get he's not everyone's cup of tea, but neither am I.

I believe I said this on my episode of Omakaze. There are certain insights and nuggets of truth from varying sources that ring true. I always tried to come at my criticism from a "What if this were a real professionally run television show" and Beyond the Mat's Vince interview, given how hard WWE legal tried to suppress the film, rings true at times. "We make movies" okay, given what you know, given patterns of who has been (Really) pushed, what conclusions can you get from it. Vince casts for type when he looks at marketing "faces" of the brand.

I also dropped Tanahashi's quote about it being the McDonalds of wrestling. One of the comforts of McDonalds is you can go in, and it will be the same food made the same way. It makes the reason why you always have to see main guy's finisher, why guys are never really "injured" unless it's an over the top angle, etc. Smiles on people's faces, and if some kid in Iowa City doesn't get to see an RKO, you may have lost a fan for life, etc.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 pm

SamoKuma wrote:The bad quality of the second part made it impossible to listen for me.
He could only record on Skype so I had to dig out the old recording tools. Sorry.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm

elloziom wrote:Just finished the flagship I gotta say that after listening to Wrestlemania preview and this show, the way Rich sometimes adapts to his guest is kind of.. . strange. I'm saying that because Joe & Rich always bury WWE replica belt guys and Jon came off like ultimate wwe replica belt guy. Sometimes it was funny, like when he tried to be as excited about Kurt Angle Q & A or spending 1000 dollars in wwe shop at axxess.
Jon was gracious enough to be my guest. Even if I wouldn't be caught dead at AXXESS wearing an IC Belt what am I supposed to say? Am I supposed to call him an idiot for doing it? You adapt to your guest. Joe and I aren't guests on each others shows so it's more free-flowing, say whatever we want, you can't do that when you have someone on for a one-off. You let that person drive the convo initially and adapt to them.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
I also dropped Tanahashi's quote about it being the McDonalds of wrestling. One of the comforts of McDonalds is you can go in, and it will be the same food made the same way. It makes the reason why you always have to see main guy's finisher, why guys are never really "injured" unless it's an over the top angle, etc. Smiles on people's faces, and if some kid in Iowa City doesn't get to see an RKO, you may have lost a fan for life, etc.
Literally the perfect quote from a star of NJPW to fully encapsulate my view of snobbery and silliness of New Japan and its hardcore fans.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 am

mlev76 wrote:
Jeff Hawkins wrote:
Literally the perfect quote from a star of NJPW to fully encapsulate my view of snobbery and silliness of New Japan and its hardcore fans.
okay, yes. I agree, and I’m by no means a Wrestling snob. But is there a point therein that might be prescient

Much like Stephanie’s crass “who’d want to fuck him”

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:55 am

Jeff Hawkins wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
Jeff Hawkins wrote:
okay, yes. I agree, and I’m by no means a Wrestling snob. But is there a point therein that might be prescient

Much like Stephanie’s crass “who’d want to fuck him”
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were. Like I said, enjoyed your part of the show.