VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:37 pm

It's running unopposed and nobody is buying tickets, proving that IG is fucking trash.

SHIMMER, on the other hand, is killing it. People like women's graps. Nobody likes awkward IG graps.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
mlev76 wrote:Just got to Rich dancing around the brutal burial of the Beyond show by Joe from last week. Dancing on the head of pin would be an appropriate phrase for that.

Great stuff thus far.
I was with him but the more I looked at it and through the process of previewing all the other shows I realized, look, I'M not interested in going to that Beyond show but good on them for at least trying something new and not doing the same old Janela, Riddle, PENTA, Ospreay thing everyone else is doing.

Again, I wouldn't be caught dead going to that show but I wish them luck in trying something new and different.
Same here on all fronts. It's really hard to pull off IG well where it doesn't come off either silly or uncomfortable (for me, others' mileage may vary) and having a full show of it would be a hard sell to all but a small pocket of fans not located in Saudi Arabia.

User avatar
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin
Posts: 2173
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL
Contact:

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Yeah, it's selling like absolute shit so there's a good chance we'll never see it again and that's fine. I just appreciate the ambitious to TRY something new, even if its a miserable failure.

User avatar
armsofsleep
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:01 pm

If the only reason you hate IG is because of weird pervy fans and playing to those fans why do people still like Joshi.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:21 pm

armsofsleep wrote:If the only reason you hate IG is because of weird pervy fans and playing to those fans why do people still like Joshi.
There are thre ways IG bothers me:

1) when it's a clear disparity in size and power between man and woman and the match is treated as a battle of equals.
2) When a man hits or punches a woman in a match where it looks like it would come across as abuse in another context.
3) When it gets utterly stupid, sexualized or just plain boring.

And sadly, much of the IG matches I've see fall into that category. I've watched several Janelope matches and don't enjoy them. The only IG match I've seen recently that I would recommend and that didn't fall into one of those three categories was, ironically, a Beyond match between AR Fox and Tessa Blanchard. I may check out Lit up at sometime in the future if it hits Powerbomb, but it's very near the bottom of my watch list this weekend.

User avatar
armsofsleep
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:28 pm

mlev76 wrote:
armsofsleep wrote:If the only reason you hate IG is because of weird pervy fans and playing to those fans why do people still like Joshi.
There are thre ways IG bothers me:

1) when it's a clear disparity in size and power between man and woman and the match is treated as a battle of equals.
2) When a man hits or punches a woman in a match where it looks like it would come across as abuse in another context.
3) When it gets utterly stupid, sexualized or just plain boring.

And sadly, much of the IG matches I've see fall into that category. I've watched several Janelope matches and don't enjoy them. The only IG match I've seen recently that I would recommend and that didn't fall into one of those three categories was, ironically, a Beyond match between AR Fox and Tessa Blanchard. I may check out Lit up at sometime in the future if it hits Powerbomb, but it's very near the bottom of my watch list this weekend.
Yeah I do agree that it's really hard to get right (and that 90% of it is just bad), I pretty much only have issues when it's not entertaining inside the ring or trivializes abuse/rape.

To me, perfectly fine in the fiction of wrestling (it's FICTION!!!!)

- Guys beating up girls as long as its actually fun to watch

- Girls beating up guys as long as its actually fun to watch

- Guys being creepy to girls and its treated seriously

Stuff with turn off the computer heat

- Guys doing weird creepy shit to girls and its treated as a joke (even though this isn't exclusive to IG.......... see Taguchi assaulting a woman like literally a month ago)

- Anything that's NOT entertaining

I agree for the most part though, it takes a little bit more to get into them and honestly it's probably on the shoulders of the workers to push past their own weird hangups and make it good. I just don't get people who unequivocally are like "uh, girls and guys fighting each other? fucking garbage" when like......... choreographed fake fighting between Jordynne Grace and Fred Yehi is no different than choreographed fake fighting between Charlize Theron and the stunt doubles in Atomic Blonde (and hey, talk about size differences in some of those action scenes)

User avatar
Joe Gagne
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by Joe Gagne » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Part 3

0:00:00: Ring of Honor with Sean Sedor and John Caroll
1:09:02: NXT Takeover New Orleans with Chris Novembrino
1:57:05: WrestleMania with Andrew Rich

User avatar
BlizzardAcolyte
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:54 pm

A message to Rich Sean John: I CARE ABOUT THE KINGDOM.. and if I had any motivation to attend WM Week, you can bet a couple hundred bucks that I would be at that town hall. So there.

User avatar
DXvsNWO
Posts: 1173
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:30 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:27 am

LOVED the EVOLVE/WWN preview on Part 1 with the two Aaron's!! Those dudes have incredible chemistry.
BlizzardAcolyte wrote:A message to Rich Sean John: I CARE ABOUT THE KINGDOM.. and if I had any motivation to attend WM Week, you can bet a couple hundred bucks that I would be at that town hall. So there.
Honestly, I'm indifferent on The Kingdom. They've never really impressed greatly as a trio, yet they're certainly not bad either. Most of their trios stuff usually lands in the ***-***1/4 range for me. In that regard, at least their consistent. I'm actually interested to see if end up getting involved in the show somehow, because I have a feeling that they might.
Image

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by mlev76 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Great job from all involved this year and I'd say a decent step up from last year (which wasn't bad). Kudos all around!

User avatar
rovert
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 am

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by rovert » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:13 am

Joe Lanza wrote:It's running unopposed and nobody is buying tickets, proving that IG is fucking trash.

SHIMMER, on the other hand, is killing it. People like women's graps. Nobody likes awkward IG graps.
SHIMMER has a lot of relative momentum. With Mae Young Classic exposure onward, it being the 100th - which can really resonate with fans and the card is super good God's honest.

In terms of Beyond's card. I thought it was a good idea when Drew asked me about it. However, it does seem like an overreaction to last year's Mania Beyond show which was just a variation of everyone else's card with an exhausted crew in the early hours of Saturday or whatever.

User avatar
Heather
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:15 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by Heather » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:14 pm

I finally got through all 9 hours... the entire rundown was excellent all the way around. I was trying to work out during the Part 2 preview of various crap and actually had to stop because I was laughing so hard ("Could you not be a chode?" "What am I going to do with all this cocaine?"). I finished what I was doing then came back to the podcast, but man that was awesome. I finally signed up for Patreon too!

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: VOW Flagship: WrestleMania Weekend 2018 Preview

Post by mlev76 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:47 pm

rovert wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:It's running unopposed and nobody is buying tickets, proving that IG is fucking trash.

SHIMMER, on the other hand, is killing it. People like women's graps. Nobody likes awkward IG graps.
SHIMMER has a lot of relative momentum. With Mae Young Classic exposure onward, it being the 100th - which can really resonate with fans and the card is super good God's honest.

In terms of Beyond's card. I thought it was a good idea when Drew asked me about it. However, it does seem like an overreaction to last year's Mania Beyond show which was just a variation of everyone else's card with an exhausted crew in the early hours of Saturday or whatever.
Not that they necessarily would/could known, but Wrestlecon booking a massive IG match hours before Beyond was something to behold.

Post Reply