VOW Flagship: NJPW 46th Review, Fastlane Preview, #AllIn & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: NJPW 46th Review, Fastlane Preview, #AllIn & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:29 pm

This week on the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast: Joe and Rich review NJPW's 46th Anniversary show and the polarizing main event, preview the upcoming New Japan Cup tournament, WWE's final stop on the Road to WrestleMania with FastLane and the uphill battle Cody and the Young Bucks have with #AllIn.

Find us on:

Apple Podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/voic ... 53459?mt=2
Google Play: http://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps ... pzbwrgqfoe
iHeart Radio: http://iheart.com/show/270-voices-of-wrestling
Stitcher: http://stitcher.com/podcast/voices-of-wrestling
TuneIn: http://tunein.com/radio/Voices-of-Wrestling-p677346/
Deezer: http://deezer.com/show/54369

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/6715583-vow ... n-more.mp3

armsofsleep

Re: VOW Flagship: NJPW 46th Review, Fastlane Preview, #AllIn & more!

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:41 pm

I think there's a difference between "grading on a curve" and "judging on a curve"

When I rate a match ***, it's because it's a three start match to me, no matter what, no matter the promotion. I might have a subconscious bias, but I do truly try to rate matches on an even scale.

What changes it that a *** match on like.... a random Nova Pro show I'm at is something I appreciate. There's no real working standard on smaller indies like that and it's not always a guarantee. That exact same match could happen on like.... Wrestle Kingdom, and I would still rate it ***. The big difference would be that the latter would be "disappointing", because IMO you should step up your game on big shows (or when your company has a high working standard). I don't think it makes the latter match "shitty" or anything like that though.

I feel like I have more subconscious biases rating matches when I disagree with the booking. It was really hard to rate Naito/Omega highly because of the sort of deflating feeling of seeing Naito lose in the building when I flew to Japan expecting to see him win. That type of relationship is waaaaay harder for me to rectify than the promotion/situational curve.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:40 pm

First, I'm glad Rich threw some praise at the Undertaker v Orton Wrestlemania 21 match. I have always loved that match and it seems to garner negative opinions throughout history. It's a solid story and it was extremely fresh at the time because no one had ever really challenged Undertaker because of the Streak which fit perfectly with Orton's character at the time. Also it really saved Orton from midcard obscurity after Vince pulled the rug out from under him in the Triple H feud.

Secondly, regarding Tanahashi challenging at the 11th defense it makes sense because if he were to challenge at 12 the defense streak is technically already broken. The record I believe is total defenses not successful defenses.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:21 am

HOW IS RICH'S LINGUS!?!? needs to, first, be clipped and saved forever. Second, it needs to be asked on Lanza Unfiltered: Wife Swap.

As a follow up...we need some details on how Craigslist Purveyor, Tinder Connoisseur Joseph Marcelo Lanza ends up with a woman with multiple children...not just meeting her at 2:37am CST in a response to your ad posting, but dating and ultimately MARRYING her.

This does not compute for Good Brother Robes and I'd like to hear more.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:24 am

BoxingRobes wrote: We need some details on how Craigslist Purveyor, Tinder Connoisseur Joseph Marcelo Lanza ends up with a woman with multiple children...not just meeting her at 2:37am CST in a response to your ad posting, but dating and ultimately MARRYING her.

This does not compute for Good Brother Robes and I'd like to hear more.
... It's Ashley the Hair Stylist, no? The one he kept dancing around for months on the podcast to Rich's prodding at the same time as he was mentioning those dirty 3AM hookups before his sex life kind of went silent? Probably because he got with her proper and didn't feel like documenting the weekly journey online. *shrugs*

andrewrich
VOW Staff Member

Post by andrewrich » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:01 pm

A very important distinction: Yujiro has a cane, Taichi has a mic stand.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:22 am

I think context for a match definitely matters, and what you expect or don't expect out of it. Sometimes that is the context of the promotion and the general expectation based on that, sometimes it's other factors. There's a world of difference between discovering something on your own and watching a very hyped match you know has a reputation for greatness. This is why I personally will take recommendations and seek them out but prefer to be guided by my own interest, because I'm more open to enjoying things when I'm guided by my own interest and moods.

It's also why I'm always trying to strike a delicate balance when it comes to discussing promotions like Wrestle-1 - it's an okay promotion with some good to great talent, and some great main events, and I want more people to watch it, but I don't want them to expect amazing matches from every show. There is a reason why they're still re-building and not selling out Korakuen every month. I want people to give it a shot but also judge it for what it is - a small-time promotion with some promising, young talent. It's not NJPW 2.0.

I already explained (reasonably & well) why I didn't enjoy Okada/Ospreay as much as I was hoping in the NJPW thread. I think Joe is right that it's not going to convince people who dislike either or both. That's ultimately fine.

Goddammit, that Naito scenario Joe proposed is something I would like a lot. So now I fear it won't happen.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Lanza's booking of Cena at Mania was hilarious.

Though you guys were definitely spot on about the Riott squad having no explanation this whole time, I think it was on this very past Smackdown where in her promo Ruby said she formed the group specifically to take down Charlotte. Which is cool to me because it really puts over Charlotte as a big deal, that a faction's entire vendetta is aimed specifically at her. if only they had explained this...anytime earlier.

I 100% would buy a ticket to see Emma work the indies. She's not one of the 25 best women wrestlers in the world or anything, but she's very good. I still think her Takeover match with Asuka was Asuka's 2nd best match in the company so far. I also think people enjoy supporting talent that they feel WWE underutilized, which I think has a lot to do with Cody's success. Nobody thinks your Jack Swaggers or Rybacks or Justin Gabriels are "overlooked talent". The other thing is she's the most high profile woman to hit the indies after WWE.

Having the benefit of being in the future I can say that Taichi the heavyweight is actually a good pro wrestler. Color me surprised.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:58 pm

RE: "This is my Ring of Hell match"

So, if Orton vs. Roode was actually a Ring of Hell match, would that make you more or less interested in watching it?

It's interesting: most of the circles I roam in or have roamed in (this forum included) were declaring that this was Ishii's tourney to win, more so than any tourney he's been involved in since New Japan became the cool thing to follow...but at no point during this show did you guys mention this. I take it you guys have been completely staying out of the loop while people fantasy booked this, then?

Also, I know you were doing the usual "Impact is a two-star special" bit, but I really think you should give this most recent episode a look, it easily got to the three-star range as a whole. The opener would probably rise above that without the commercial break.