WON HOF, Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, Double ROH Preview & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Hobbes

Re: WON HOF, Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, Double ROH Preview & more!

Post by Hobbes » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Blue_Period wrote:My friend had an unusual experience with Rhino. He was trying to shake Rhino's hand but he sort of put his arm up, like it was in an invisible sling. After a few awkward moments, my friend realized that Rhino was after a sort of forearm bump, a la late 80's/early 90's Bash Brothers. He must be a germaphobe or something.
A lot of people are doing the forearm bump now. Depending on when Rhino did this, he may have been ahead of his time. Rhino for WON HOF for historical wrestler handshake influence.

NotThatTomGreen

Post by NotThatTomGreen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Working on shows on a regular basis, the handshake ritual is my least favorite thing ever. I'm naturally introverted and anxious to begin with, so that whole concept is my personal hell. I try to show up early just so that I can get "caught up" in different situations and don't have to do as much walking around to find handshakes.

As for handshake styles - from my findings at least, the only guys who really stick with the limp noodle handshake are either guys who broke in no later than 2000-2002ish or the newbie trainees who know about it from the internet and think it's the thing to do. I've had to become decent at figuring out within milliseconds of contact what style of handshake I'll be getting because you don't want to be the guy throwing out a limp noodle when someone wants to grab hard.

The most awkward moments are the guys who throw out brother hugs like they're candy. I have friends who I talk to regularly who just throw the handshakes because it's the professional thing to do, and then there are guys who I barely know who grab a big bearhug out of the handshake because they're just overly friendly. It's always awkward when you think you're getting a handshake and you get pulled into a hug.

I would like doing shows so much better if the carnies back in the day had secret head nods instead.

Oli Court
VOW Staff Member

Post by Oli Court » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Tomohiro Ishii could probably rip my arm out if he wanted to, but he has the handshake of a 5 year old girl.

Okada's handshake was very good though, ****½.

Blue_Period

Post by Blue_Period » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:28 am

Thanks for the shout out on twitter- I feel famous!

The Rhino incident was 3-4 years ago, at a local show, just after he'd started his Ring of Honor run. He may well be the innovator of the forearm bump. I haven't come across anyone else doing it yet. In regards to the AJ Styles handshake, I feel that I should add that it took place shortly after he was released from TNA but before he had started with New Japan. He did seem a little down in the dumps, with a sullen expression, and slouched over in his chair. His handshake may have reflected the uncertainty of that time in his career.