WON HOF, Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, Double ROH Preview & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:36 pm

Voices of Wrestling returns with a wacky episode talking a number of wrestling and non-wrestling topics. On the wrestling side, Joe and Rich talk about the 2015 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame, voting strategies, new candidates that are likely to make it and much more. The guys then move onto this week's television including one of the best Ring of Honor episodes of the year, NXT's continuing Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic and how it benefits everyone involved. The preview portion of the show has us looking at the upcoming CMLL 82nd anniversary show taking place next weekend, a huge ROH card in Chicago that Rich is attending this weekend and Ring of Honor's upcoming All-Star Extravaganza PPV that Joe will be attending live.

Non-wrestling topics are all over the place including guys with excessively firm handshakes and the whereabouts of Craig Mack & other 90s hip hop legends.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/0 ... view-more/

TGD287

Re: WON HOF, Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, Double ROH Preview & more!

Post by TGD287 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Obviously I'm intrigued by the Allstate Arena talk.

"Two doors to get in, so it takes three hours to get out." I have to question that, as there are like five different entrances on the outside. I've never really had a problem physically getting out of the building.

But yeah, the biggest issue is traffic and parking. I'm shocked you didn't mention that there's not enough parking to hold building capacity, so they park everyone three rows together, and if you end up in the second row, you're trapped until your neighbors leave. And even if you get out of your row quickly, you can only move cars so fast through one major road.

Although I was trying to find information about the old renovation, as I have no memories of it, I found a proposal for a new one. Larger seats would be nice, but I really wish they'd add Metra support. Just build a station, and have trains ready to leave afterward.

(edit: oh, the link is an embed? cool)

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:02 pm

TGD287 wrote:Obviously I'm intrigued by the Allstate Arena talk.

"Two doors to get in, so it takes three hours to get out." I have to question that, as there are like five different entrances on the outside. I've never really had a problem physically getting out of the building.
See, I've had nothing but problems. I exaggerated the two doors to get in, it is really five but it becomes a chore for any sold out show/concert/game depending on when you get there. Plus on two separate occasions there's been issues with entrances so they've herded everyone to the entrance facing the highway and the one that's kiddie-corner from the Target. That was a shitshow.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Voices of Hip Hop desperately needs to be a thing.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:24 pm

strikamura wrote:Voices of Hip Hop desperately needs to be a thing.
Rich and maybe someone else talking about their favorite hip hop albums would be something interesting. If Rich is bringing a sports show to the network, a music one would be a cool one.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Honestly, I'd love to do something like that, one of the issues is I've kinda distanced myself from modern hip-hop. There's a lot I still love but I'm not an obsessive listener like I was in my youth.

Plus I'm a backpackin' undergrounder from the 2000s.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:Honestly, I'd love to do something like that, one of the issues is I've kinda distanced myself from modern hip-hop. There's a lot I still love but I'm not an obsessive listener like I was in my youth.

Plus I'm a backpackin' undergrounder from the 2000s.
I'm the same way. I struggle to listen to anything that came out after 2008 for whatever reason, unless it's Sean Price.

I'm not up on hip hop podcasts, but I know for sure I'd listen to a show with content like the Mase discussion.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:08 pm

I guess I'm the guy here who keeps up with current hip hop and listens to a ridiculous amount of it. I love my 90's/early 2000's stuff because even though I'm a young guy, my dad would always play Common, Little Brother, Outkast, De La Soul, Pharcyde, Sean Price, Talib Kweli, etc so I love that stuff. But there is so much great stuff coming out still.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:I guess I'm the guy here who keeps up with current hip hop and listens to a ridiculous amount of it. I love my 90's/early 2000's stuff because even though I'm a young guy, my dad would always play Common, Little Brother, Outkast, De La Soul, Pharcyde, Sean Price, Talib Kweli, etc so I love that stuff. But there is so much great stuff coming out still.
All of that is right in my wheelhouse. My best friend who is an emcee is always recommending new stuff to me, but at a certain point I just hit a wall in terms of hip hop and because I listen to a lot of other stuff, I haven't kept up with anything outside of a very select few. My friend and I have actually been toying around with the idea of doing a conversational/comedy hip hop podcast, but we're working on an album and have to focus on that. It'd be great for an occasional hip hop podcast to pop up on the VOW feed, even just Rich and someone gushing over Little Brother albums or something.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:50 pm

I could easily spend 3 hours every week gushing over Little Brother and beginning them to reunite even for one more song.

I'll keep it under advisement. The issue with me has always been a lack of real close friends who were into hip hop as much as me. I have a few people in mind, I'll toss it by them and see what they think. I'd be down for doing something monthly.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:I guess I'm the guy here who keeps up with current hip hop and listens to a ridiculous amount of it. I love my 90's/early 2000's stuff because even though I'm a young guy, my dad would always play Common, Little Brother, Outkast, De La Soul, Pharcyde, Sean Price, Talib Kweli, etc so I love that stuff. But there is so much great stuff coming out still.
Do you have a Spotify playlist of what you've been listening to lately? I will listen to most new hip hop releases but they dont have the same impact on me as that 90s/00s period had. It could be the time I devote to listening to the music as well. I dont think quality has gotten lower I just think I've outgrown the genre. It's very much a "young mans" game and it's hard to find much connection to modern hip-hop when I'm approaching 30.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:52 pm

I was very into the @NotThatTomGreen discussion toward the end of the podcast.

It does appear that much of independent wrestling is painted the same shade of water-downed gray. I think it has a lot to do with WWE's influence, but also the lack of available information on independent wrestling shows.

Sometimes, I wouldn't even know a show exists until I see that a "bigger" indy name will be in town on such and such date. Independent wrestling promoters are kind of backed into a corner with relying on names with more exposure.

It brings me to a point, actually. I have always been looking and searching for a website or whatever that lists indy shows across the country. Over the years there have been one or two and they usually don't last. Have you guys ever thought about hosting a list? Ya know, promoters can send in the details and your site can be the place to go for anyone looking to find indy shows in their area.

Then, just like you guys said on the podcast, the Indy Wrestling Show schedule can be the gateway drug to Voices of Wrestling. Everybody wins.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:09 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote: Do you have a Spotify playlist of what you've been listening to lately? I will listen to most new hip hop releases but they dont have the same impact on me as that 90s/00s period had. It could be the time I devote to listening to the music as well. I dont think quality has gotten lower I just think I've outgrown the genre. It's very much a "young mans" game and it's hard to find much connection to modern hip-hop when I'm approaching 30.
I don't have an actual playlist, but I can link you a list I made of my favorite hip hop albums of the year on a music forum and you can pick and choose stuff from there. In the music thread I can also recommend you some artists and albums I think would fit your taste if that is something you'd be interested in.

JML

Post by JML » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:53 am

Lanza, don't feel bad about your ex girl liking Mase because one of my ex's admitted to me that she had a crush on ODB. Yeah ....

I'm in same with the rest of you guys with hip hop cause I'm close to 30 too. I will recommend that Dr Dre's radio show on Beats 1 is very nice and he mixes in old stuff with new stuff.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:19 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote: Plus I'm a backpackin' undergrounder from the 2000s.
Disgusting but not surprising